Award for Aussie DJ prank caller, 'in bad taste'

2»

Comments

• dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why he needs to be punished for the rest of his life ..

I don't get it either people don't like DJ's, pranks, Australians? I don't know. Take your pick.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Michael Christian could have reasonably foreseen the result of the prank, therefore I can't feel he's morally culpable for the death of Ms Saldanha. However, given that she did die, I think he'd be better not to accept any awards, simply as a gesture of respect to the family.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Even if they meant no ill will, and couldn't have forseen what would ultimately happen, common sense would dictate that you don't prank call hospitals, or airports, or the police, or schools, or fire departments, or emergency/rescue services etc....

And if you ask "why not?" then you are clearly beyond all reason.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess ringing up to enquire about the health of a patient, if you are not family, is classed as a "prank call" now.

PS. Being "beyond all reason" doesn't bother me. I'd rather be able to think for myself.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if they meant no ill will, and couldn't have forseen what would ultimately happen, common sense would dictate that you don't prank call hospitals, or airports, or the police, or schools, or fire departments, or emergency/rescue services etc....

Anyone phoning the police ,fire brigade or any emergency service and getting them to react to a lie .. Pretending there is an emergency.. Is wrong .. The prank call to the hospital was not an emergency call.the person who answered it didn't do their job properly because they didn't question the caller and just put them through.. Anyone who listened to it should of known it was bogus..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don`t think him receiving an award is wrong for his work, Too soon though? maybe as we all know once the royal baby arrives this unfortunate situation will be all dragged up again
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To a great extent I am with you on this, it's neither big nor funny IMHO and about as funny as a bucket of sick.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    once the royal baby arrives this unfortunate situation will be all dragged up again

I do hope the new royal heir doesn't feel too bad, years down the line, over indirectly being the cause of a suicide.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    An unstable woman, who had allegedly tried to kill herself before, tried again and succeeded.

Then attempted to pass the buck for her actions.

She attempted to pass the buck? After she was dead?

Wow! Who knew? :eek:
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She attempted to pass the buck? After she was dead?

Wow! Who knew? :eek:

The lady left notes blaming the hospital and DJs for her suicide .. I think that's what the other poster ment ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    It just shows that the only thing that counts within the environment of that radio station is ratings, and that this tosspot of a DJ fits right in to that culture.

Nobody suggests that he or his colleague could have known or even suspected the consequences of their stupid prank. Nevertheless, any normal person would feel some sort of shame and I think anybody with normal human feelings would think twice about accepting an award like that. Maybe a couple of years down the line when he's managed to achieve something more positive, but not now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lady left notes blaming the hospital and DJs for her suicide .. I think that's what the other poster ment ...

Precisely ...

Weren't there apparently three notes? Along the lines of ..

I blame the DJs.
    I blame the hospital management.
    I blame my colleagues.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Precisely ...

Weren't there apparently three notes? Along the lines of ..

I blame the DJs.
    I blame the hospital management.
    I blame my colleagues.

Isn't it fairly unusual for suicide notes to blame people? Methinks there was more to the lady's mental health issues than will ever be known.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Darwin 'Disc jockey dipstick of the year' award, per chance.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    The nurse who killed herself wanted the DJ's to pay off her mortgage. That shows that she had been planning to commit suicide before the prank call has occurred. If you commit suicide, you don't think about mortgages you just do it because you had a nervous breakdown. The nurse apparently had some underlying mental condition that triggered her suicide and if it wasn't for the call, it would be something else sooner or later to trigger it all.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why he needs to be punished for the rest of his life ..

Yeah, they did something heartless and cruel but it's not like they actually killed someone. I think some would still be criticising them in 10 years time for this.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just shows that the only thing that counts within the environment of that radio station is ratings, and that this tosspot of a DJ fits right in to that culture.

Nobody suggests that he or his colleague could have known or even suspected the consequences of their stupid prank. Nevertheless, any normal person would feel some sort of shame and I think anybody with normal human feelings would think twice about accepting an award like that. Maybe a couple of years down the line when he's managed to achieve something more positive, but not now.

Spot On!
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the big deal, it's not his fault the nurse committed suicide, he didn't make her do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope the new royal heir doesn't feel too bad, years down the line, over indirectly being the cause of a suicide.

Please say that was sarcasm. PURLEASE!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    I guess ringing up to enquire about the health of a patient, if you are not family, is classed as a "prank call" now.

PS. Being "beyond all reason" doesn't bother me. I'd rather be able to think for myself.

All evidence suggests otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! :eek: Has it really taken you two days to think that up. :D

I guess it must take you while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    All evidence suggests otherwise.

Exactly what i was thinking. What an awful person...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Wow! :eek: Has it really taken you two days to think that up. :D

I guess it must take you while.

Also maybe other people don't spend every moment of their waking lives on digital spy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he has a pop at me ... I'll have a pop at him.

Calling the switchboard of a private clinic, to enquire about the health of a worldwide media celebrity, is hardly comparable to pranking an emergency number where lives could be at risk.
  • CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the DJs should be punished or even tainted for the rest of their lives but I do think to award the guy so soon is in very bad taste. It would have been much more tactful to wait. The dust has only just settled.