Options

Are you allowed to spit at work?

RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Or dive theatrically when you bump into a colleague ?

I had hoped that modern football would be different.

Comments

• Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you've got that much talent you can basically do what you want

And if you're watching the World Cup, I think most teams aren't getting paid so it's not technically work
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can if you're a wine taster.

The theatrical diving arrives if you forget to spit it out.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    You can if you're a wine taster.

The theatrical diving arrives if you forget to spit it out.

Or a fussy prostitute.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's anywhere in the handbook I couldn't dive theatrically if I knocked into someone.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or dive theatrically when you bump into a colleague ?

I had hoped that modern football would be different.

You do realise that professional athletes don't spit for the same reasons as the chavvy scum who spit in the streets do, don't you? Surely you can't be that naive.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I actually fired a lad some months back for his incessant spitting on site. I yellow carded him (topical football related disciplinary measure) which is a warning, and he carried on doing it, to the client's annoyance when one of their lads following him stood in one of his dirty grollies. So the guy got a red card, and was asked to leave site.

Football? Well, they're exerting due to physical sporting activity so that's different.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    You do realise that professional athletes don't spit for the same reasons as the chavvy scum who spit in the streets do, don't you? Surely you can't be that naive.

Exactly. Some people will use any feeble excuse to knock football.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I always dive theatrically when bumping into colleagues. It's what makes my day fun
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,045
    Forum Member
    I always copy the great Victorian players, and have a large handkerchief tucked into the pocket of my shorts when playing Association Football. Thus, it is always available should I need to blow my nose, or clear my mouth of saliva or phlegm due to my exertions on the field. There is no excuse for the modern player not to do the same.

In addition, I ensure all my post-tackle performances include at least one reference to an historical play, uttered in the original language. Simply throwing oneself to the ground shows a lack of effort.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »

Typical of GD, really
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's anywhere in the handbook I couldn't dive theatrically if I knocked into someone.

What about if you were a window cleaner?

Eta: one that worked side by side with another window cleaner... on one of those lift things D
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I dive theatrically onto my colleagues... well, the attractive female ones.

and I have the restraining orders to prove it.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    What about if you were a window cleaner?

Eta: one that worked side by side with another window cleaner... on one of those lift things D

I would never be a window cleaner. Especially not if it requires a lift as that means it's up high, outside.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Typical of GD, really

True, it's DS. The place where the Peter Andre thread is up to PART 3!
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Anyone who has played football or done any sort of athletic sport will know that you have to spit occasionally.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Typical of GD, really
    dee123 wrote: »

May I introduce you to this little Gem on the DS General Discussion Boards it may ease your pain

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=270
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spitting is so bloody disgusting, I wish people would stop it. If you have something in your mouth you want to get rid of, use a hanky and throw it in the bin :mad:
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Spitting is so bloody disgusting, I wish people would stop it. If you have something in your mouth you want to get rid of, use a hanky and throw it in the bin :mad:

Do you think that might interrupt the flow of the (football) game though?
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Do you think that might interrupt the flow of the (football) game though?

No more than a bunch of fairies dropping like they've been shot at the slightest big of contact and then rolling around for 30 seconds.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    No more than a bunch of fairies dropping like they've been shot at the slightest big of contact and then rolling around for 30 seconds.

So that's a yes. ;)
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When you say fairies, do you mean the Tinker bell type, or men of a certain persuasion? If it's not Tinker bell, then naughty naughty.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    Anyone who has played football or done any sort of athletic sport will know that you have to spit occasionally.

Do tennis players do it? I can't say that I've ever noticed.

Ballet and modern dance is very strenuous and athletic, but you never see dancers gobbing.

Anyway, I've checked the staff handbook and found that we have no policy on either spitting or diving. But that's probably because we're adults, and not overpaid yobboes with our brains in our feet.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    I actually fired a lad some months back for his incessant spitting on site. I yellow carded him (topical football related disciplinary measure) which is a warning, and he carried on doing it, to the client's annoyance when one of their lads following him stood in one of his dirty grollies. So the guy got a red card, and was asked to leave site.

Do you work on a building site? Our guys get the yellow and red cards on site.

I get sick of fellas apologising for swearing in front of me because Im female, it doesn't bother me, my standard reply is "Couldn't give a shit about swearing, I draw the line a spitting though".
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »

That's nothing compared to the 2 part deeply strange, and ethically questionable "In the closet gay celebs! Who are they? " thread in Showbiz.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Do you work on a building site? Our guys get the yellow and red cards on site.

I get sick of fellas apologising for swearing in front of me because Im female, it doesn't bother me, my standard reply is "Couldn't give a shit about swearing, I draw the line a spitting though".

Construction / engineering project. The women swear more than the blokes here.