Smooth National Radio Thread

Comments

• sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I'm guessing Paul Hollins is busy with his Blue Rev company and possible can't commit to Smooth on a regular basis but still do cover.

He was on drive in the East Midlands on Friday
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    How has Smooth got more interesting? Have Castle and Garraway departed or have they doubled the playlist?

I have enjoyed hearing Hall and Oates Maneater, Boyzone Father and Son for example
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    I have enjoyed hearing Hall and Oates Maneater, Boyzone Father and Son for example

Well I suppose that's a start only another 498 to go then!
  • mrdeejaymrdeejay Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They played This Love by Maroon 5 this morning.

That's not a normal Smooth play listed record.
  • brimogbrimog Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I like smooth but I think I going to change station because I get fed up listening to the same songs every day gets a bit boring. Any one agree. Or disagree.
  • BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I suppose that's a start only another 498 to go then!

They really should follow your advice... Who needs listeners?
    Forum Member
    Borsant wrote: »
    They really should follow your advice... Who needs listeners?

Precisely a larger playlist might get back some of those who have tuned elsewhere as they are fed up with hearing the same old tosh over and over
  • mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Precisely a larger playlist might get back some of those who have tuned elsewhere as they are fed up with hearing the same old tosh over and over

I've solved that problem, I no longer listen to a repetitive playlist that is lacks imagination other than repeat the same old songs !!!!!!!!!!
  • ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brimog wrote: »
    I like smooth but I think I going to change station because I get fed up listening to the same songs every day gets a bit boring. Any one agree. Or disagree.

Smooth must have the shortest playlist of any station - it seams every time I switch on Smooth, which isn't more than a couple of times a day, for about 30min each I am virtually guaranteed to hear "All out of Love", "Dock of the Bay" and "He's my Brother" among others. Their computer also seam to choose the same songs, in the same order.

Then as for presenters like Kate Garraway - they witter on speaking pure twaddle - talk of Radio Gaga!......now that's one they don't play!!!

I just wish that Magic was available on FM outside London.
  • BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like the larger playlist the old GMG Smooth had?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    I've solved that problem, I no longer listen to a repetitive playlist that is lacks imagination other than repeat the same old songs !!!!!!!!!!

Shame Amara hasn't thought of this yet! :D
    Forum Member
    I haven't listened to Smooth for months sorry to disappoint you Cut6. In fact I don't listen to anything from your glorius Global these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    I haven't listened to Smooth for months sorry to disappoint you Cut6. In fact I don't listen to anything from your glorius Global these days.

That's brilliant news! Congratulations Amara! You must be so much happier now you no longer listen to those Global stations you hate so much.

No need for you to keep posting the same negative comments about them over and over again now you don't listen to them any more is there?

Good on you for finally realising that modern commercial radio isn't to your taste and that tens of millions of listeners don't share your views. You've opened your mind at last!

May I suggest Radio Caroline, Solid Gold Gem Am and Roger Day's Uncool Radio as stations that may be more suitable for you?

In the meantime, why don't you stop deriding commercial radio listeners and respect the fact that their tastes might actually be different to yours? Go on Amara! You can do it!!!!
    Forum Member
    Cut6 wrote: »
    That's brilliant news! Congratulations Amara! You must be so much happier now you no longer listen to those Global stations you hate so much.

No need for you to keep posting the same negative comments about them over and over again now you don't listen to them any more is there?

Good on you for finally realising that modern commercial radio isn't to your taste and that tens of millions of listeners don't share your views. You've opened your mind at last!

May I suggest Radio Caroline, Solid Gold Gem Am and Roger Day's Uncool Radio as stations that may be more suitable for you?

In the meantime, why don't you stop deriding commercial radio listeners and respect the fact that their tastes might actually be different to yours? Go on Amara! You can do it!!!!

What a patronising person you are. What makes you think you have the right to recommend what I should listen to?. There was me thinking this was a forum for comments both positive and negative. How silly of me to forget that people like Smart Programmer and yourself cannot bear to see criticism of your beloved repetitive boring bland stations that "millions" listen to each day. How lucky people like me are as we are able to appreciate what entertaining radio sounds like and have the ability to look further than Leicester Square output.

May I suggest that you get down from your pedestal and accept that we are all entitled to our own opinions and will continue to express them if we wish.

Sorry to disappoint you but as this is an open forum you can look forward to my continuing participation.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why comment on something you don't listen to? That's like going in to the thread about Coronation Street and slagging it off then saying you don't actually watch it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's covering the American Songbook tonight? Andrew Castle is busy at Wimbledon
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Who's covering the American Songbook tonight? Andrew Castle is busy at Wimbledon

I'm sure it's pre recorded
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure it's pre recorded

It is. Sam Cooke featured artist for the 3rd time. Have they ever featured Billy Joel? He would be an excellent featured artist
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the last few times I've heard the great American songbook it was starting to sound live? As it sounded very well put together and flowed well, if it is pre-recorded.?
    Although the giveaway might be in that I've never heard Andrew read any texts out...

Is the great British songbook pre-recorded also?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to hear Gary King on Saturday breakfast for Eamonn.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid to say since Magic came to DAB i don't listen to snooze anymore. Same sleepy songs over and over.
  • OrmeMacOrmeMac Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid to say since Magic came to DAB i don't listen to snooze anymore. Same sleepy songs over and over.

If you don't listen how do you know what they play?
  • ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sheer number of adverts carried by Smooth from the "compensation culture" industry, put up by parasites is mind-numbing.

Obviously the sales team, I guess based upon audience research, has concluded the Smooth Radio listeners are the sort of people who take no responsibility for their actions, financial or otherwise, and therefore take every opportunity to sue to avoid working for a living!

The final straw for me was when one of the daytime programmes became sponsored by one of these legal parasites.

That and the sickly-sweet Kate Garraway, plus the repetitive playlist have sent me to Gem when I'm on the move, and Magic when at home on DAB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Petroni has left magic now and moving to smooth love songs? I wonder when he'll start? Will the show be live or voice tracked?
  • spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Petroni has left magic now and moving to smooth love songs? I wonder when he'll start? Will the show be live or voice tracked?

I would have thought approx three months from now, hence his hasty exit. I hope that it's live, a waste of time otherwise.