Funny things old people say....

1235»

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Worse things happen at sea."

My grandmother never got the hang of the internet, I still chuckle at the memory of her asking if I could help her order something from "Amazon dom cot."

:D My late m-in law didn't understand the internet, and couldn't understand what an email address was. She complained about how complicated addresses were becoming and how it was impossible to write them down from TV announcements. I wonder how many she actually posted like that!

I'm on a local facebook page and one lovely old guy I know asked for the address to post his photo's for the page. He did have a good laugh about it.

"Well, I'll go to the bottom of our garden"
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    It's handcart in the UK.

OP reported causing hilarity in the US. I was suggesting why. Regional variations do cause laughter. (And occasionally fisticuffs: soda/pop/coke, trolley/buggy/shopping cart, etc.
  • Options
    Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has somebody got a duck in their pocket?
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's more a Yorkshire thing I think.

That sounds possible. Like 'I went down t'pit at three twenty five past' :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RiDsTeR wrote: »
    Once had an old lady come up to me and say "your hair looks like the devil in the deep blue sea" I have no idea what she was talking aabout.

Well she probably wasn't paying you a compliment! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    I like the even more innocent term , 'walking out'.

I had an old-fashioned workmate years ago who used to talk about people 'doing a line' :)
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    Was that the dog, or just me?
    Who stepped on a frog?
    Whoever smelt it dealt it, or, Whoever denied it supplied it.
    Come to think of it, my grandfather had about 100 different puns for farting.
    The brown family choir having a sing-song
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'd spoil another couple

'Their cat jumped over our fence' - when describing a person very loosely related to them.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    I remember my dad used to say male life expectancy was "three score years and ten".

That is a biblical quote.

We old uns also say stupid things like would've or would have, when everyone knows its would of.:D
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice older people in Sheffield when we are up there knock the "s" off the end of years for example "She's 3 year old" "We've bin married 25 year"
    ???????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Someone pulling faces would 'look like they're chewing wasps'

A tom cat licking pi$$ off a thistle
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice older people in Sheffield when we are up there knock the "s" off the end of years for example "She's 3 year old" "We've bin married 25 year"
    ???????

We young folk do that too :)
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    :D My late m-in law didn't understand the internet, and couldn't understand what an email address was. She complained about how complicated addresses were becoming and how it was impossible to write them down from TV announcements. I wonder how many she actually posted like that!

I'm on a local facebook page and one lovely old guy I know asked for the address to post his photo's for the page. He did have a good laugh about it.

"Well, I'll go to the bottom of our garden"

My nana often asks me to check something on Googly for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But nobody really talks about the "interweb" do they? It is some daft saying made up on some daft telly show.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    A few years ago I phoned my mum to wish her happy Christmas, and I asked in passing if she'd received the email I had sent her.

She said that she hadn't checked her email because she didn't think there would be any deliveries on Christmas Day... :D
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I bought my mum a mobile phone and after about a month complained that the phone company hadn't sent her a directory.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah, it is a regional thing? Many guests on The Jeremy Kyle Show talk like that and I thought it could be because they didn't have enough teeth to make the S sound!
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    It's always been the price of fish when I've heard it.

Yep, price of fish here as well, never heard eggs or cheese
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Worse things happen at sea."

My grandmother never got the hang of the internet, I still chuckle at the memory of her asking if I could help her order something from "Amazon dom cot."

My family said "Stranger things have happened at sea" - this has now been confirmed to be true by my son who is in the Navy!
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We didn't have a dog when I was growing up, but I did used to think we were going to get one, because dad used to go out some evenings "to see a man about a dog". Sometimes I'd hear him arrive home and it sounded as though he'd had a terrible time.

I don't think he liked dogs at all and they didn't like him, because quite often, the very next day he'd be off out again "for the hair of the dog that bit him". :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted earlier about Billy Big Time and Soft Mick, I heard that said but don't know who or what they are.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    We young folk do that too :)

Yeah my dad is from yorkshire, although lived in Glasgow for 40 year..I do it too, as in lived in my flat for 4 year...like bacon for ham, and mash a brew..hehe..guid influences :)
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I posted earlier about Billy Big Time and Soft Mick, I heard that said but don't know who or what they are.

Arrgh it sounds like a criminal fraternity! I believe soft mick is two sandwiches short of a picnic..but thats not on really..meh..:(