Options

Gay Cake bakery guilty of discrimination!

Comments

• Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    The two countries are deeply divided, if anything it may strengthen the yes vote.
    NI don't even have Civil Partnerships.

It does have civil partnerships.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't aware that copyright infringements were based on the perpetrator arbitrarily deciding whether or not the image owner 'would mind' if it was used.

As to your second point, civil partnerships offer exactly the same legal impact of marriage. Hence I can't understand why a couple would seek, to the point of changing the law, the blessing of an organisation that doesn't agree with what they are doing.

Now, I agree that many heterosexual people hypocritically get married in front of an organisation that they know little about. However, they do have to conform to the 'rules' of that organisation to receive it's blessing.

Like how if myself and my partner weren't Jewish or Muslim, we couldn't be married in their places of worship. That seems fair to me.

So you have gay couples marrying in a church, having their relationship blessed by a religion that disagrees with their union and where the people seeking the blessing, have contempt for the body blessing them.

It really is saying "I don't want their approval, I don't respect their approval and I am fully aware that they don't want to give their approval but it's my right to demand it regardless'.

It all seems a little petulant and kind of going against the wonder of partnerships, namely that it's meant to be between two people and shouldn't really require an external title to give it validation.

Why are you solely focussed on Church marriage? :confused:
    Apart from anything else no Church can be forced to marry anyone, if they disagree with anything. You don't agree that any Christian is entitled to a religious ceremony? Thankfully there are Christian churches which disagree, especially as Christ never condemned homosexuality or said same sex marriage was wrong.
    You don't agree that homosexuals should have equal rights, they should not be allowed to marry and be kept apart from heterosexual human rights? Equal rights were denied to mixed marriages, do you think that also should have been preserved?
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone went into a gay bakery and asked them to decorate a cake with Leviticus 18 on it , what would they do.?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    It does have civil partnerships.

Yes and I've replied :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    ok, I suppose noone can prove either way really, although it does seem a bit coincidental doesn't it?

Meaning the cake order the bakery turned down was in fact for quite a high profile event involving the Mayor etc to campaign for same sex marriage....

Why is that such an important issue to you?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it actually to be a gay cake or just pie-curious?
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    "We KNOW we have done right by God"

And yet again, they completely failed to state 1. How they know it to be the case. and 2. Provide any evidence at all to prove that there is a God to do right by.

And so the religious carry on and on and on without a clue as to why more and more people are just not taking them seriously any longer.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »

HAAAAAAAAA!

A gay joke that is actually funny! :D
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I have a question on PC top trumps who wins?

if the cake makers were muslim would the case have been brought?

if the cake makers were black christians would the case have been brought?

if the cake makers were disabled christians would the case have been brought?

I think I know what would have happened
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Probably a fairy cake. :p

Disclaimer: the above post was intended as an attempt at humerous wordplay and should not be construed as promoting homophobia or intended to cause offence to those with a terminal sense of humour deficit.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    If someone went into a gay bakery and asked them to decorate a cake with Leviticus 18 on it , what would they do.?

That would have to be a big cake.

What you would have to decide is whether refusing would constitute discrimination because of the religious beliefs of the orderer, against whether the message constitutes an attack on a protected characteristic. You couldn't, for example, put 'kill the gays' on a cake. So I might argue that, as Leviticus 20 (which deals with the sentencing for such crimes), says that stoning is the required punishment, that it could be viewed as a hate message and therefore can be lawfully refused.

However, I would be fine with putting "Oppose Gay Marriage" on a cake.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't even know that Bert and Ernie had come out as being a gay couple. Let alone a married one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Probably a fairy cake. :p

Disclaimer: the above post was intended as an attempt at humerous wordplay and should not be construed as promoting homophobia or intended to cause offence to those with a terminal sense of humour deficit.

Sorry Si, but it excludes lesbians - shocking.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I am going to steal that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "We KNOW we have done right by God"

And yet again, they completely failed to state 1. How they know it to be the case. and 2. Provide any evidence at all to prove that there is a God to do right by.

And so the religious carry on and on and on without a clue as to why more and more people are just not taking them seriously any longer.

Poor old God. Up there minding his own business and he gets the blame for every bit of man made, convenient personal agenda chosen religious bigotry on earth. How does he deal with the wicked Ashers selling to sinful divorcees and every other damn thing they choose to ignore in their laughable cherrypicking fest.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    I have a question on PC top trumps who wins?

if the cake makers were muslim would the case have been brought?

if the cake makers were black christians would the case have been brought?

if the cake makers were disabled christians would the case have been brought?

I think I know what would have happened

No reason why the outcome would have been any different. And it has nothing to do with "PC".
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Genuine question, did they know they were going into a Christian bakery?

It's just a bakery, the religious beliefs of its owners should be irrelevant.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    What you would have to decide is whether refusing would constitute discrimination because of the religious beliefs of the orderer, against whether the message constitutes an attack on a protected characteristic. You couldn't, for example, put 'kill the gays' on a cake. So I might argue that, as Leviticus 20 (which deals with the sentencing for such crimes), says that stoning is the required punishment, that it could be viewed as a hate message and therefore can be lawfully refused.

However, I would be fine with putting "Oppose Gay Marriage" on a cake.

James May once asserted that there really only needs to be one law; "Are you being an arse?"
    Stuff like this seems to be a good example of how that concept has merit.

Gay couple seeks to have cake made. Are they being arses? Nope. Okay then.
    Cake maker refuses to make cake. Is he being an arse? Hmm, maybe not deliberately but yes. So, he doesn't get his way.
    Somebody seeks to have cake made with "Kill all gays" on it. Is that being an arse? Unquestionably.

Seems like the law can actually be pretty simple if we allow a bit of common-sense to be applied.
  • Options
    AngrydadAngrydad Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Poor old God. Gets the blame for every bit of conveniently chosen religious bigotry on earth. How does he deal with the wicked Ashers selling to sinful divorcees and every other damn thing they choose to ignore in their laughable cherrypicking fest.

Spot on......religion is just an excuse for simple minded people to express there self rightous bigotry.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I wonder if he will now try for the same cake at a muslim run bakery?
    No chance...they wouldn't even try it on with a Muslim bakery. Targeting Christian businesses is a soft option and this isn't the first time.

Mr Lee would do well to follow the example of Matt Stolhandske, who set up a donation fund to help a couple faced with losing their business after being hit with $150k in fine because they wouldn't bake a cake for a lesbian wedding.

Matt Stolhandske is a Christian......who is also gay.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/gay-advocate-raises-money-to-help-christian-bakers-pay-150k-fine-for-refusing-to-bake-cake-for-lesbian-wedding-128479/
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    I am going to steal that.

Help y'self!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    James May once asserted that there really only needs to be one law; "Are you being an arse?"
    Stuff like this seems to be a good example of how that concept has merit.

Gay couple seeks to have cake made. Are they being arses? Nope. Okay then.
    Cake maker refuses to make cake. Is he being an arse? Hmm, maybe not deliberately but yes. So, he doesn't get his way.
    Somebody seeks to have cake made with "Kill all gays" on it. Is that being an arse? Unquestionably.

Seems like the law can actually be pretty simple if we allow a bit of common-sense to be applied.

Problem comes when people believe that god told them to be an arse though. Apparently it is ok to be as arsey as you want if you select the right bits from religious texts. I might start a campaign to imprison those who wear polyester cotton.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    No chance...they wouldn't even try it on with a Muslim bakery. Targeting Christian businesses is a soft option and this isn't the first time.

Mr Lee would do well to follow the example of Matt Stolhandske, who set up a donation fund to help a couple faced with losing their business after being hit with $150k in fine because they wouldn't bake a cake for a lesbian wedding.

Matt Stolhandske is a Christian......who is also gay.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/gay-advocate-raises-money-to-help-christian-bakers-pay-150k-fine-for-refusing-to-bake-cake-for-lesbian-wedding-128479/

You say that as if it matters... gay people hold all sorts of views, we are not the Borg.

As for a Muslim bakery - damn right I would take action against them.. why on Earth wouldn't I?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Genuine question, did they know they were going into a Christian bakery?

http://www.ashersbakingco.com/about/

They don't advertise or give any indication that they are a "Christian Bakery".

I also have no idea what the description would infer or why it would be needed.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

But there is no evidence whatsoever that Christian businesses are being targeted. However such businesses do seem more likely to discriminate against gay people.
This discussion has been closed.