Atlantis - Series 1 Discussion/Spoilers/Speculation

Comments

• Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Ha, brilliant.

Nice update there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    More casting news and one more Merlin actor in Atlantis: Alexander Siddig (Merlin, Spooks, Star Trek) plays King Minos in the show.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this. I've always been intrigued by things based upon or around Atlantis.:)

Same . Wasn't Troy Tempest's Marina from Atlantis ??

:)
    Forum Member
    GBali wrote: »
    More casting news and one more Merlin actor in Atlantis: Alexander Siddig (Merlin, Spooks, Star Trek) plays King Minos in the show.

He's everywhere nowadays, genre wise.

Good casting though:D
    Forum Member
    It's becoming a quite large cast, isn't it? :D

I've found an interesting report about Ouarzazate, Morocco where the crew is filming at the moment.

Atlas Film Studios seems especially exciting. It's one of the biggest movie studios in the world. Films like Kingdom of Heaven, Prince of Persia, Kundun, Alexander, The Mummy and Gladiator were all filmed there, and many of the sets are still standing. I wonder what sets and locations will be used for Atlantis.
    Forum Member
    It's impressive the people they've gotten for this and it's certainly making me look more forward into seeing it as well.
    Forum Member
    When do you think we can see the first teaser trailer?
    Doing some search on Youtube I think the very first trailer for Merlin was released on Aug 28, 2008. (It was released in cinemas too.) Do we really have to wait until the end of summer? :eek:
    Forum Member
    One thing is for sure, the city/island of Atlantis is full of artists. :D National Youth Theatre's Heider Ali is cast as Mikon.
    (Mikon was a Greek painter and sculptor who lived in the 5th century BC.)

Slightly Atlantis related: According to The Sun, an insider email "told of plans to air 12 new episodes (of Doctor Who) from August 2014."
    I have serious doubts about this, because the BBC's plan and priority right now is to fill Merlin's autumn slot with Atlantis for many years. It depends on the success of series 1 of course, but Atlantis is planned to be a long-runner.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly Atlantis related: According to The Sun, an insider email "told of plans to air 12 new episodes (of Doctor Who) from August 2014."
    I have serious doubts about this, because the BBC's plan and priority right now is to fill Merlin's autumn slot with Atlantis for many years. It depends on the success of series 1 of course, but Atlantis is planned to be a long-runner.

I'd agree with you, considering they're going to be hunting for a new Who it's highly unlikely they'd have episodes written and filmed ready to be broadcast from August next year!
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's becoming a quite large cast, isn't it? :D

I've found an interesting report about Ouarzazate, Morocco where the crew is filming at the moment.

Atlas Film Studios seems especially exciting. It's one of the biggest movie studios in the world. Films like Kingdom of Heaven, Prince of Persia, Kundun, Alexander, The Mummy and Gladiator were all filmed there, and many of the sets are still standing. I wonder what sets and locations will be used for Atlantis.

I went to Benhaddou - it's a fantastic place, really atmospheric - will be interesting to see how they use it
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    It's impressive the people they've gotten for this and it's certainly making me look more forward into seeing it as well.

It's starting to look quite epic, isn't it?

Oh, and Happy Birthday! :)
    Forum Member
    Aw, thanks Smint.

We've only got three/four months now for this one to air.

I'm predicting late September/early October for it.
    Forum Member
    Smint wrote: »
    I went to Benhaddou - it's a fantastic place, really atmospheric - will be interesting to see how they use it

Can't wait to see that. It looks amazing on pictures! :)

I've found a nice video report introducing Atlas Studios in Morocco: http://youtu.be/1O6C1KTTOhA It must be fun walking in those sets.
    Forum Member
    Casting update:

Game of Thrones actor Ron Donachie plays Theos in Atlantis. (Theos means God in ancient Greek.)

An other Game of Thrones actor, the brilliant Donald Sumpter (he also played the Fisher King in one of the best Merlin episodes) will be seen as Tiresias in Atlantis. Tiresias is a blind prophet of Thebes in Greek mythology.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Donald Sumpter! :)
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casting update:

Game of Thrones actor Ron Donachie plays Theos in Atlantis. (Theos means God in ancient Greek.)

An other Game of Thrones actor, the brilliant Donald Sumpter (he also played the Fisher King in one of the best Merlin episodes) will be seen as Tiresias in Atlantis. Tiresias is a blind prophet of Thebes in Greek mythology.

Ooh that's two brilliant pieces of casting there!
    Forum Member
    Casting update:

Great choices there.
    Forum Member
    Looks like the director of photography on the second block is Ashley Rowe BSC. He's working with director Alice Troughton. They've alreay worked together on Merlin.
    Rowe was the DOP on BBC2's Dancing on the Edge too.
    Forum Member
    Hello, Atlantis crew! :cool: DOP Dale McCready and his camera team on location in Morocco --> photo
    Forum Member
    Hello, Atlantis crew! :cool: DOP Dale McCready and his camera team on location in Morocco --> photo

Thanks.

I can't wait til we start getting some promos and cast pics as well.
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I can't wait til we start getting some promos and cast pics as well.

They have finished shooting block one (the first three episodes, I assume) this week, and might have enough footage to start working on the trailer. I hope we don't have to wait until end of August to see the first promos.
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    I hope they do a better job than the (big budget) BBC Worldwide/Adjacent production of Da Vinci's Demon's, also largely made in Wales, though they have much more lee-way to make it up :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    There will be Atlanteans and Maenads. ;)
    NeilPost wrote: »
    I hope they do a better job than the (big budget) BBC Worldwide/Adjacent production of Da Vinci's Demon's, also largely made in Wales, though they have much more lee-way to make it up :rolleyes:

True, but I think the team behind Atlantis has already done a better job, on Merlin, and that experience is a huge advantage.
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member

"In Greek mythology, maenads (Greek: μαινάδες, mainádes) were the female followers of Dionysus (Bacchus in the Roman pantheon), the most significant members of the Thiasus, the god's retinue. Their name literally translates as "raving ones". Often the maenads were portrayed as inspired by Dionysus into a state of ecstatic frenzy, through a combination of dancing and drunken intoxication.[1] In this state, they would lose all self-control, begin shouting excitedly, engage in uncontrolled sexual behavior,"

:eek::cool:

Amy can kick my ass any time ;)
    Forum Member

Brilliant to hear.