Supanames web hosting

barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anybody know what happened to the people who were originally behind Supanames? I used to get first-class service and personal and friendly support from them. Then they were taken over by the dreadful 123-Reg, which exists almost solely to up-sell services you don't require and only offers "support" consisting only of fixed replies from staff with made-up names.

If anybody can tell me if the Supanames guys have started up somewhere else I will change to them in an instant.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hello,

My name is James and I work at 123-reg.

I would be very keen to look into this matter further and find out some more about the support you received and what has caused the issues. I can then use this to work with our support team and product managers to see where there is room for improvements. If you do have any outstanding issues which still require resolution, I would be happy to help with those as well.

If you would like me to, please can you send your details over to customerexperience@123-reg.co.uk.

Regards,

James
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use 123-reg and the technical aspects are fine, although the control panel is not the easiest to navigate sometimes (particularly setting up email redirection). The support is lacking in that any ticket is misinterpreted by staff on the first go, so you have to submit again, rephrasing the question so they can understand it.

One huge issue (for me) is that it's impossible to change the registrant details for .es domains (Spain). I've moved twice but my domains still reflect my old address because the .es NIC doesn't allow changes. When I queried this with 123-reg they had no idea what I was on about. The moral is: don't sell that domain extension if you can't support it.

But if you're the sort of person who knows what they're doing and never needs support, it's a nice cheap service.
    Forum Member
    Hello Stu0rt,

I would like to start off by thanking you for your post about 123-reg. With regards to your comments about the control panel, I can tell you that we are actively working on improving the current control panel to make it easier and more intuitive for our customers.

With regards to the issue you experienced with your .es domain, is this still outstanding? If so, please provide me with a ticket number or the domain name itself and I will work with you to get this resolved, you can email me at customerexperience@123-reg.co.uk. If the issue is resolved and if its not too much trouble, I would appreciate if you could still provide me with this information as it will allow me to investigate and highlight training needs to ensure other customers do not experience this in the future.

@ Barbeler – I probably should have mentioned in my original post, that the Supanames employees were welcomed into the 123-reg family and continue to serve the business and its clients.

Here at 123-reg we really value our customers feedback, with that in mind if either of you have any further suggestions or concerns you would like to raise or discuss further, please feel free to send them to me at the above email address.

Regards,

James
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Control Panel is an absolute nightmare. I simply want to find out how much web space I have used for my site and how much I still have left.

My site was originally a present, set up for me by an ex-girlfriend. I have absolutely no idea how much web space I have available and I have only just found out where to look to find out how much I've used (although that still doesn't help).

I bought another domain name to experiment with, only to find that I seem to be limited to a single domain name (or am I?). There is something about sub-domains, but it is all very complicated. There is an IP address mentioned, but no clue as to what it is supposed to represent.

I thought I might park the domain name (unethical, I know) until I had decided how to use it, but the instructions provided on how to do it seemed completely incomprehensible, so it is simply wasted.

When I needed help from Supanames, I used to get a very quick response with personal emails.
    With 123-Reg, it sometimes takes me a while to find out where to find the reply to my query when I'm informed I have a 'ticket'. Why can't they simply provide direct access via a Control Panel icon? I always get the feeling that the Help staff are on targets, so that their main aim is to get this 'ticket' closed as soon as humanly possible.

It's as if the very user-friendly approach from Supanames has been replaced by an impersonal, robotic service, where you are almost forced into braving the FAQ section, which often has no relevant answers, or even headings appropriate to your question.

Everything on the site seems to be written by computer geeks who assume that everyone else talks the same language. I really haven't the faintest idea what most of the icons in my control panel are referring to.

When I have time, I will brave the control panel again and send James a personal list of all my queries.
    Forum Member
    Thank you very much for your feedback barbeler.

From reading your last post my primary concern at this juncture is to make sure that everything is set up for you as you need it and any specific outstanding issues you may have are resolved. I am more than happy to call you at your convenience to address any current queries, however in order to do so I will need you to send me some contact details to customerexperience@123-reg.co.uk.

If you do not have time or don’t require a telephone call with me, I would be extremely grateful if you could still send me either you domain, username or ticket number so I can look into the contact you had with our support team to identify areas of improvement and training gaps

Regards,

James