Options

Outnumbered Christmas Special

Comments

• Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    It's pretty much over now isn't it now the kids have all changed?

Good to see Joy from DTDD again though.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, this is wrong. The programme very clearly showed that they are now too old and that the whole concept has now passed its shelf life.

It's all a matter of opinion, it's still the funniest new comedy on at the moment.
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I have always really liked Outnumbered but this episode was fairly poor. Karen and Ben were as if they were still trying to be their younger selves.

I thought it was a bit odd that they changed their ages slightly: until now, the characters have always been the same ages as the actors, but in this episode it was stated that Ben is 12 (although Daniel is already 13 and was already 13 when they filmed it), and that Jake is 17 (although Tyger won't be 17 for another month). With Daniel already being so big they should have said Ben is 13.
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Tyger is thinner than he used to be
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    I think this show has actually done pretty well to evolve given the constraints placed upon them by how quickly children grow up at that age. They've developed the characters reasonably well and gradually shifted the types of storyline they tell. Ultimately there's never really a point when the family dynamic ceases to be so I'm sure they could carry on if they wished.

I thought this Christmas special was considerably better than the last one. I also think it's a little difficult to produce a one-off episode as there's no real context in terms of creating the background for storylines previously or developing something for later; you've got to set the scene, get it going and wrap it up all in the space of 40 minutes which isn't the easiest task. For this reason, I think Outnumbered has always been more effective with its series than its one-off specials.

You've pretty much said what I came on here to say, but far more articulately than I could've done!

I didn't find this episode overly funny, but it entertained me, nevertheless - for me, the family have a charisma about them that's watchable, even when it's not providing many laugh out loud moments.

My only slight niggle is that Karen's still too young to be acting like a stroppy teen, as she was tonight, in my view! But that said, I think the three kids do a great job.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't help that Ben sounds extremely posh and rather too stage school now. He doesn't fit with the rest of the family.
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »

I didn't find this episode overly funny, but it entertained me, nevertheless - for me, the family have a charisma about them that's watchable, even when it's not providing many laugh out loud moments.

I think this paragraph pretty much covers it for me actually. I think it's perhaps evolved from the comedy it was a few years ago but I don't necessarilly consider that a bad thing. I still find the family very watchable and find the programme sufficiently entertaining - and indeed astute - to not be bothered if I'm not 'laughing out loud' every few minutes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The Lying Game is still my favourite moment from Outnumbered.

"I like Auntie Angela."
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    It doesn't help that Ben sounds extremely posh and rather too stage school now. He doesn't fit with the rest of the family.

All the kids sound pretty posh to me.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was great, one of the best Outnumbered episodes for some time. I think people over-analyse. It's television, it's there to entertain and it did just that.

Yes, the original charm and USP of Outnumbered was the young kids saying wild and outrageous semi-improvised things. Yes, they have grown up - but so has the show and so have the characters.

Can't see the problem. I doubt the show will run forever anyway, but tonight showed there is still plenty of mileage and comic potential in it if they wanted to drag it out for years to come - conceivably until the kids have all left home.

It's called "Outnumbered" - isn't the whole premise of the show simply that there are 2 adults bringing up 3 offspring?
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »

To me it just sounded like his voice is breaking.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it had matured,moved on still funny on a different level.
    Still good
  • Options
    belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it tonight. I thought Ben was ace even though he's not as mental, but the scene with him keeping Jane awake made it for me. Karen I thought had that typical pre-teen precociousness..and Jake looked a bit healthier than in Cuckoo! Ben is the star for me. If I ever have a Ben myself, I will be so happy. Such an intelligent kid, just needs constant stimulation.....love it, what a challenge!
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I howled at some of tonight's gags:

Ben keeping Jane awake
    'It looks like a Unionist estate'
    'Did you know he had a drink problem when he started going out with you?' 'No, he didn't have a drink problem when he started going out with me' :p
    'Oh welcome Lauren from Zinzinati or as I call you, fresh meat'
    'I won't have kids. They're a nightmare'
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    I thought this was great, one of the best Outnumbered episodes for some time. I think people over-analyse. It's television, it's there to entertain and it did just that.

Yes, the original charm and USP of Outnumbered was the young kids saying wild and outrageous semi-improvised things. Yes, they have grown up - but so has the show and so have the characters.

Can't see the problem. I doubt the show will run forever anyway, but tonight showed there is still plenty of mileage and comic potential in it if they wanted to drag it out for years to come - conceivably until the kids have all left home.

It's called "Outnumbered" - isn't the whole premise of the show simply that there are 2 adults bringing up 3 offspring?

I agree. It's not the same show as a few series ago, but I don't mind that. I was never a massive fan of the "kids say the funniest things" comedy. It's always been about the parents exasperation for me - and thats still there in spades, with new challenges like Jake's social life to confront.
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    the kids look ready to be pensioned off
  • Options
    AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's some serious growth hormones Ben's been ingesting. And why is Karen talking like she was still five years old? It was like she didn't learn the script and was reading her lines from cue cards. Very stilted and weird.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    Atlantic wrote: »
    That's some serious growth hormones Ben's been ingesting. And why is Karen talking like she was still five years old? It was like she didn't learn the script and was reading her lines from cue cards. Very stilted and weird.

They do say the 'arguments and discussions' are improvised (most of them anyway).
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    "Cold front. Frold..." :D:D

Though it was after 9pm...
  • Options
    matthew57matthew57 Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with some child actors is that as they get older the deficiencies in their ability become clearer. I think this is the case with the two younger children. Tyger has always shown he is a good actor.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked how they linked the Andrew Mitchell gag to it being a "perk" like lying - very prescient!

K
  • Options
    HazelKeelanHazelKeelan Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It's all a matter of opinion, it's still the funniest new comedy on at the moment.

No, this is wrong; it isn't very funny at all so there are plenty of programmes much funnier.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, this is wrong; it isn't very funny at all so there are plenty of programmes much funnier.
    It's not wrong at all, humour is a very subjective and personal thing. That's precisely why there is such a wide range appealing to all sorts. It is indeed down to personal taste and opinion.

Some people "get" a particular style whilst others do not. That's the nature of comedy.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atlantic wrote: »
    And why is Karen talking like she was still five years old? It was like she didn't learn the script and was reading her lines from cue cards. Very stilted and weird.

That's what I thought. She was talking in staccato style for some reason. Plus she needs to get her fringe cut.
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    karen was staged to look older than what she is - in real life she's 11 but the costume/make-up dept had her trying to look about 13 and it just didnt work - her voice has a posh twang to it - looked her up on wiki and she's from South Kensington so that says it all really