Sound Problems on BBC HD.

zandarzandar Posts: 929
Forum Member
✭✭
I am encountering sound problems on BBC HD channels from Wenvoe.

On Sunday 29 March 2015 - 'Caribbean with Simon Reeve' (BBC 2 HD) & on Monday 30 March 2015 'India's Frontier Railways' BBC 4HD. In both cases, when a foreigner appears on the programme and embedded subtitles are on screen, the sound dips dramatically - so much so that you can virtually not hear the person speaking. At the same time, another faint voice appears that may have nothing to do with the programme. I checked the 'Caribbean' programme with BBC 2 SD and all was OK. I also checked both programmes via my Freesat device and again, the sound was perfect.

I have not had this problem before with BBC HD from Wenvoe and have not made any setting changes to my equipment.

Comments

• technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's audio description ......
    And you did not have the narrators voice turned up...

AD on DTT works by having a narrators voice and fade byte to Dim the prog sound and a pan byte to put the voice where required...
    This is rendered in the tv or STB with you being able to adjust the overall sound and the narrators level independently
    ( it's called object audio these days as used in ATMOS in cinemas)

So turn off AD.

As AD is carried through playout as a voice on left channel and a warble tone on right ...
    And it "does not touch the sides " it is not BBC issue ...
    And as it the "railways" was in a UK wide MUx and I watched it with no issues ... It must be your TV.
    You would not have notice the subtle fades which are used when the narrator is describing the the scene ...
    Only the prog sound being almost turned off when speech is being replaced.
  • zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'technologist' - many thanks for your response. Yes, I was aware of Audio Description & checked via the sound menu and it was indeed set to ON. I can't understand how that happened. Hope now that all is well.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zandar wrote: »
    'technologist' - many thanks for your response. Yes, I was aware of Audio Description & checked via the sound menu and it was indeed set to ON. I can't understand how that happened. Hope now that all is well.
    Have a look on the remote. Is there a button labelled AD? That royally confused my mum and by extension yours truly a while ago.

She called me to say there was this strange voice describing everything coming out of the telly. What confused the pair of us was that every menu option that referred to AD said it was turned off. But the AD button on the remote overrides this setting and turns it on and off independently without changing the menu setting, just to confuse the hell out of everybody!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it does ......

Glad that zandar now has working with the right sound ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Have a look on the remote. Is there a button labelled AD? That royally confused my mum and by extension yours truly a while ago.

She called me to say there was this strange voice describing everything coming out of the telly. What confused the pair of us was that every menu option that referred to AD said it was turned off. But the AD button on the remote overrides this setting and turns it on and off independently without changing the menu setting, just to confuse the hell out of everybody!

No, my TV remote does not have a dedicated AD button. The odd thing is that when I tried out the Audio Description mode 2 years ago, I heard a clear voice describing the action, yet, now, the voice was too faint to make out what was said. Hence the reason why I did not suspect that the AD was engaged & that there was a fault. Anyway, all seems to be OK now.
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,740
    Forum Member
    Most boxes have a seperate volume setting for the AD - so you can changed the AD volume without changing the channels regular volume
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozsat wrote: »
    Most boxes have a seperate volume setting for the AD - so you can changed the AD volume without changing the channels regular volume

Many thanks 'ozsat'. I switched the Audio Description back on and found the volume control for it in the sound menu. It was set at 47% and barely hearable. I then upped the volume of the AD and had to go all the way to 99% to get it to a reasonable volume - & even then, it was not exactly at normal volume. (I have excellent hearing). As I do not require this feature, I switched it off on my Samsung TV.

Out of interest, I then switched on the Audio Description on my Panasonic Freesat PVR and amazingly, the volume was quite loud - well, a bit louder than the regular soundtrack. The Panasonic Freesat PVR had no way of adjusting the AD volume. So, we have a situation where the Audio Description seems to be coming through at different levels according to whether you are watching via Freesat or Freeview. Of course, it could be just my equipment. Anyway, as I do not need the feature, I have also switched it off on my Freesat PVR.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zandar wrote: »
    Many thanks 'ozsat'.......So, we have a situation where the Audio Description seems to be coming through at different levels according to whether you are watching via Freesat or Freeview. Of course, it could be just my equipment. Anyway, as I do not need the feature, I have also switched it off on my Freesat PVR.
    As SKY refused to adopt the reciever Mix AD that UK DTT uses....this has a volume control in the narrators voice upstream of normal overall volume level control
    The broadcaster has to provide a much higher bit rate broadcasters mix... Which is often not quite what the audeince wants to hear as the narration level is fixed ,,,,

Freesat made the decision to have DVB subtitles not the Teletext Subtitles that Sky uses.... As Code was easily available to render them...
    But receiver Mix ADneeds a second audio decoder fir the narration which was a cost too far .... Which was a great pity ....