Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Options
    alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Got a treat for you da, and anyone else interested. My Spotify playlist at long last! Very heavy on the Swedish so if 90% of the playlist is blank then you'll need the Hola add on to make a fake Swedish account. There is a few other things on there though. There's even a special treat for Anne if she doesn't mind that it's been turned into a 'banger.' :D

https://open.spotify.com/user/11179179294/playlist/0s90IunoqNhiUCgmNM4BiW

Just followed :D

edit: HELL GURL HOW LONG IS THE LIST?!:o:D
    Heat 2 is one of the greatest semifinals in NF history, surely? How FAME ended up winning the whole thing will forever be a mystery to me.

Good question: What are the best ever Melfest heats?
  • Options
    da33431da33431 Posts: 48,932
    Forum Member
    Good question: What are the best ever Melfest heats?

Scandipop reckons Heat 4 of 2009 and Heat 2 of 2012.

Lisa, your playlist is amazing, my teddy bear will have to follow you too on my Swedish account :D
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,276
    Forum Member
    da33431 wrote: »
    Scandipop reckons Heat 4 of 2009 and Heat 2 of 2012.

Lisa, your playlist is amazing, my teddy bear will have to follow you too on my Swedish account :D

The whole of 09 was epic! Pmsl, I saw that notification pop up. Didn't get any others even though the desktop version says it has 3 followers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks to your amazing playlist I just had to buy the 2010 CD on Amazon. I needed Apricot Stone in my life!
  • Options
    kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    just followed must get my playlist together. cheers for that.

Apricot stone was wonderful.
  • Options
    gdrx78gdrx78 Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    I think the EBU would allow it. Tbh I hold no ill will over Russia and the Eurovision and believe the safety of the fans would be both considered and measures made to ensure of safety in that also. 2009 was one of my favourite Eurovisions. That was a majestic beast of a contest.

But I'd like Polina to win more for herself even though her song is not my favourite but I'm her little British stan thanks to seeing her live in Trafalgar Square a couple of years back. Girl can sing live. :blush:

I would imagine the EBU would happily allow Eurovision to return to Russia.

However, I would hope a number of Western European would withdraw from the competition in support those Eastern European countries who are facing the implementation of Russia's 'Foreign Policy'.

I'd be very disappointed if the Big 5, the Scandi Countries and Netherlands and Belgium in particular supported the contest in such a situation.

For me, countries like Russia, Azerbaijan, Armenia and Turkey have really created an atmosphere at Eurovision for a good few years-whether they have taken part or not. They have used what should be a celebration, as an excuse for (often quite aggressive) Political Grandstanding.
  • Options
    avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    gdrx78 wrote: »
    I would imagine the EBU would happily allow Eurovision to return to Russia.

However, I would hope a number of Western European would withdraw from the competition in support those Eastern European countries who are facing the implementation of Russia's 'Foreign Policy'.

I'd be very disappointed if the Big 5, the Scandi Countries and Netherlands and Belgium in particular supported the contest in such a situation.

For me, countries like Russia, Azerbaijan, Armenia and Turkey have really created an atmosphere at Eurovision for a good few years-whether they have taken part or not. They have used what should be a celebration, as an excuse for (often quite aggressive) Political Grandstanding.

Would be surprised if there was a boycott as things stand now, maybe some politicians might call for it but countries won't boycott the World Cup there so I can't see why this should be any different unless the war gets much worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    just seen something on official montenegro website that says we should get the song around the 21st.
  • Options
    gdrx78gdrx78 Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    avb wrote: »
    Would be surprised if there was a boycott as things stand now, maybe some politicians might call for it but countries won't boycott the World Cup there so I can't see why this should be any different unless the war gets much worse.

I'm imagining that football-and the nature of Sponsorship deals etc would make that very a very different beast (even though the teams may be national-the main force amongst most sporting events these days is money-that has a higher importance than ethics for too many people)

Eurovision is very different i'd imagine-yes for the fees paid you get 7+ hours of a large scale event-but it costs the broadcasters money to take part-and it is EBU Central who benefit from that, not the Broadcasters (who are faced with limited advertising revenue-where applicable-when it's on)

I hope and pray the Russian policies and politics change soon. Their military muscle flexing must be a concern for many former members of the USSR. Their homophobic stance (for which some on here is a big concern) is a very small part of an endemic political problem.

Their song this year is actually insulting to the intelligence of Europe.... singing of peace, and we are all one and equality etc etc etc - and is either a very naive attempt to be revolutionary, or smacks of propaganda. I guess Europe will make up it's mind. The words and deeds of their politicians and military lead me, personally, to lean to the latter view point.

The only naivety on display is of Gagarina chosing to represent Russia, at this particular time, with that particular song. At least-I trust it is naivety.

Ooh I've been such a whingeing sod ALL WEEK! Happy Pill Time methinks!!!! LOL
  • Options
    avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    Finally sorted out my rankings, I don't think it's turning out to be a bad year at all, a lot of these will still grow on me a lot by the time the contest is over. :)

Love

1 Sweden
    2 Norway
    3 Azerbaijan
    4 Belarus
    5 Serbia
    6 Iceland

7 Italy
    8 Romania
    9 Belgium
    10 Latvia
    11 Switzerland
    12 Malta
    13 Estonia
    14 King of Fun
    15 Australia
    16 Lithuania
    17 Ireland
    18 Armenia

Like a bit

19 Spain
    20 Slovenia
    21 Georgia
    22 Germany
    23 Russia
    24 Albania
    25 Netherlands
    26 Macedonia

Not convinced

27 Greece
    28 France
    29 Hungary
    30 Cyprus
    31 Austria
    32 Czech Republic

Just no

33 Denmark
    34 Moldova
    35 UK
    36 Poland
    37 San Marino
    38 Finland
    39 Portugal
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Australia - This is great, but I can't see it winning. I love how SBS managed to get a great singer and song in such a short space of the time. It puts the beeb to shame.

San Marino - This is fairly decent. Cheesy, but in a good way. It reminds me of early 00's Eurovision.
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently this is the song for Montenegro: https://www.soundcloud.com/eurovisionsongcontest/knez-adio
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ It is. Another ballad, but one of the better ones, imo...
    Shar_ds wrote: »
    Insufficient rock sadly. Needed to at least have some guitars or drums or.... Well something! It had loads of potential but it just didn't live up to them
    Well, rock ballads hardly ever have much drums ;) I disagree, to me it's perfect, hauntingly beautiful and yet strong.

Oh, and sorry if it was already reported here, but Armenia has changed its song title:
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=armenia_changes_song_title
    The EBU and the ESC Reference Group welcome AMPTV's request to change the title of the song in order to take away any suggestion of political intent behind the song and "to strengthen the concept of an anthem of peace, love and unity", according to Gohar Gasparyan, Head of Delegation on behalf of AMPTV.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »

Oh, and sorry if it was already reported here, but Armenia has changed its song title:
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=armenia_changes_song_title

Such a stupid request. 'Don't Deny' evidently refers to the chorus;

Don’t deny
    Ever don’t deny
    Baby don’t deny
    You and I

If the EBU are saying the song title is political, then they also have to say that the lyrics are political, otherwise it's stupid. And it sorta annoys me that Azerbaijan got their way... even if I'm not a huge fan of Don't Deny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Montenegro:

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=listen_to_the_entry_from_montenegro

You can tell who it is written by... but it's awful. Totally unmemorable chorus.
  • Options
    contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    Montenergro...I like it...contender for my top 10!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Montenegro song now confirmed : http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=listen_to_the_entry_from_montenegro

Very traditional Balkan ballad. Quite similar to last year's entry. Really gets going around the 2 minute mark.

I do love a bit of Balkan balladry :)
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it. Not one of Zeljko's best but it'll be great live.
  • Options
    Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In at #13 for me, a ballad with a bit of substance to it, j'approve!
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    da33431 wrote: »
    Montenegro song now confirmed : http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=listen_to_the_entry_from_montenegro

Very traditional Balkan ballad. Quite similar to last year's entry. Really gets going around the 2 minute mark.

I do love a bit of Balkan balladry :)

To my ears it doesn't sound massively different to last year's entry and if I didn't know any better I'd say it was the same singer, balkan ballads all sound the same to me. :p
    Not a bad song at all but it probably won't fare that much better compared to how they did last year.

Aaaaand we now officially have the complete class of 2015! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    Apparently this is the song for Montenegro: https://www.soundcloud.com/eurovisionsongcontest/knez-adio

Beautiful, classic zjeliko , even sounds like him singing although its knez . similar tone. love it. nice key change too;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    happy st patrick's day, and class of 2015 eurovision day. Now i can work on my listings.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Montenegro is pretty decent, can imagine this doing alight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't understand the love for it :o

My theory is Željko threw out a crap song and kept the good ones to himself for a triumphant return next year for Serbia, bringing the contest to Belgrade for the 2nd time :p
  • Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Don't understand the love for it :o

My theory is Željko threw out a crap song and kept the good ones to himself for a triumphant return next year for Serbia, bringing the contest to Belgrade for the 2nd time :p

Right? :confused: I love Željko, but this song just doesn't do it for me. Wasn't worth the wait. Much preferred Moj Svijet from last year. Lingering near the bottom of my rankings, will be surprised if it qualifies.

Also, is that 'DS Jury' thing still happening? I have no idea when to start sending reviews? :p
This discussion has been closed.