Options

Driving Test Nerves!

Nicky_Byrne_FanNicky_Byrne_Fan Posts: 1,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

Well seen as it's Monday, it's now not long at all until my second driving test - it's on Thursday at 12.43.

However, for some reason, i seem to be more nervous than my first - even though i know i'm more prepared than i was for my first test.

It's werid. I'm fine with my instructor, yeah i make some mistakes, but generally i'm fine. Put me with a random stranger tho, in a test situation, and i get terribly nervous. :(

If i'm nervous now! I'll be climbing the walls with nerves by Thursday.

I have a lesson on Wednesday, so that's also another good thing.

It's like for some reason with my instructor i feel alright. Then when the flourescent jacket coloured people are sat in the car with me, i just go to pieces!

Comments

• Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just remember everything you've been taught. Remember MSPSL, POM and LADA and don't be worried about your nerves, it's good that they're there. Ask your instructor to go through all the little mistakes that need polishing off to prepare you for your test. Drive carefully and safely making all the right observations and you should be fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Haven't got a lot of helpful advice as it took me four attempts to pass:p
    Try and think of it as just another lesson.
    Also - and it may be a bit too late with this - I found it helped when I didnt tell anyone that I was having my test, as it just hypes it up a bit more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. :)

Hope i can pull it together. ;)

Gonna be nervous if i get the bay park too, purely because i know my instructor will probs be watching me from the test centre window. He was last time. How do i know? Because my next lesson back after i'd failed, he said he'd been watching and thought i wasn't going to get in at first (i did tho!) :)

Funnily enough tho. I don't know what about him watching from the window makes me nervous about the bay park. I've done it a zillion times in the car with him (obv) and am not the slightest bit nervous then!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Maybe you should try the Kalms tablets
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    i totally know how you feel i have failed 3 tests:o and i was also more nervous i think it is because you no what to expect and how nit picky the examiners can be

knowing your being watched is the worst thing just hope you dont get bay park

least you got lessons before to get rid of any last minute nerves and ask any questions

wish you the best of luck hope it all goes well

Leanne:)
  • Options
    SoapsRmeSoapsRme Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine this then. Leading up to my test I was a total bag of nerves. Couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, panic attacks, the whole shebang. Miraculously, on the morning of my test I seemed to get it together, felt quite calm, nervous but calm if that makes sense. Everyone phoned and wished me luck and I was on a bit of a high that it would soon be over.

9.30 am (half hour before pre-test lesson) I get a phone call from the Test Centre that the Examiner is off sick so they had to postpone :eek: :eek: I nearly had a nervous breakdown. Don't they KNOW what it does to people??

So yeah, had to go through all the waiting for a new test date all over again. Luckily, I passed.

Best wishes to you xx
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having failed two tests, I had a large vodka before the third one and that seemed to do the trick as I passed. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SoapsRme wrote: »
    Imagine this then. Leading up to my test I was a total bag of nerves. Couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, panic attacks, the whole shebang. Miraculously, on the morning of my test I seemed to get it together, felt quite calm, nervous but calm if that makes sense. Everyone phoned and wished me luck and I was on a bit of a high that it would soon be over.

9.30 am (half hour before pre-test lesson) I get a phone call from the Test Centre that the Examiner is off sick so they had to postpone :eek: :eek: I nearly had a nervous breakdown. Don't they KNOW what it does to people??

So yeah, had to go through all the waiting for a new test date all over again. Luckily, I passed.

Best wishes to you xx
    Unlucky! I would hate that! ;)
    Having failed two tests, I had a large vodka before the third one and that seemed to do the trick as I passed. :D
    Haha! And they say drink driving is bad, obviously does some good! :p Not that i'd be tempted to try that method out myself like. ;)
  • Options
    Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12.43? blimey...that is precise...and strange! (I wonder if they seriously stick to the exact time?)

When I took my lessons the were usually around about the hour or half hour.

When you take your test...look at the deeper picture. There are pensioners in their 80's driving on the roads who are a liability and just think to yourself...it THEY can do it...so can YOU!

Look forward to this...think ahead, and above all - think POSITIVE...also look at how much lessons have cost you and that you want to end this once and for all!

Keep a CLEAR head and just constantly use your mirrors. (that is what they are looking for) You have to exaggerate this or they will fail you on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Just remember everything you've been taught. Remember MSPSL, POM and LADA

what the hell is all that?!

@ O.P: may I suggest having a look at www.2pass.co.uk they have quite a lot of tips and hints. Helped me loads when I was learning to drive. Theres even a page on pre-test nerves.

Also worth a look at the forums, there are proper trained driving instructors on there, so if theres anything you're not sure about... you can ask a question there.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what the hell is all that?!

@ O.P: may I suggest having a look at www.2pass.co.uk they have quite a lot of tips and hints. Helped me loads when I was learning to drive. Theres even a page on pre-test nerves.

Also worth a look at the forums, there are proper trained driving instructors on there, so if theres anything you're not sure about... you can ask a question there.

MSPSL- mirror, signal, position, speed, look
    POM - Position, observation, manouvre
    LADA- look, asses, decide, act

:)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

POM is for right turns isn't it?
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry just reread this

POM - Preperation, observation, manouvre....

It's too early.

It's for when the car is stationary not right turns as per the question above.

That's what made me reread my answer :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it took me my 3rd time to pass.
    but i was more nervous on my 2nd test than my 1st. i think its because i had done a test before and was knowing what to expect but scared of failing.i was nervous in my 3rd test too, but not as bad.
    i failed twice on my sweeping left hand reverse (always went too wide!). when i did that manouver perfect i started crying! although i had 10 minuites left on my test! remember, you can have a rest and pull up if your nerves get too much. just remember to MSM (mirror signal and monover) and that its legal (no yellow line, disabled parking spaces) and not causing an obstruction ;).
    lastly, good luck! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I also have my second test this week, also on Thursday!

Like you, I'm more nervous than my first test, as I know I should pass this time. I should have passed last time but they were 'unneccessarily harsh' according to my instructor, giving me 1 serious where it should have been 1 minor.

I'm by no means hopeless, but I have a recurring feeling of how I'll never pass, as 1 thing will always go 'wrong' in the 40 minutes I'm being assessed.

Good luck dude/dudette, I know how you feel!
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the test I passed, I made a complete hash of reversing round a corner. So I said, "Sorry, that was terrible, do you mind if I try that again?" Examiner grunted, I had another go and managed it OK that time. And passed. So don't lose hope if you c0ck something up - you have nothing to lose by trying again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya guys,

Thanks for all your advice. :D

Got a lesson today at 12.00 - 2.00. Have asked my instructor to take me round loads of roundabouts - seen as these are the things i have the most trouble with. ;) He'll probs chuck a few manouevres in there too.

Now i'm like :eek: It's officially tomorrow!

The worst thing for me last time, was after it. I had no nails left after my chauffer driven trip home, by my instructor, as i was wondering how i was going to tell my mum and dad! Dad passed first time - so that made me even more feel like a failiure! :(
  • Options
    tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    best of luck :)

i just passed my theory tonight so have a long long way to go - im so afraid of driving on roads etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    best of luck :)

i just passed my theory tonight so have a long long way to go - im so afraid of driving on roads etc
    Congrats on passing your theory test! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well tomorrow is the big day!

Nerves are kicking in big time now! I had a lesson today, and made some mistakes, but that's probs just nerves! ;)

I think for me, it's test situations that stress me out in general. The thought of being with some random stranger - just sends me to pieces. (I'm shy and all that). Am fine with instructor cos obvs i know him and all that.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Good luck... Just relax, show them what you can do and you'll be fine. It's mental.
  • Options
    tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    Congrats on passing your theory test! :)

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Luck for today. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any news on how it went? Fingers Crossed for you.
  • Options
    doughnut8doughnut8 Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best thing is to have a drink to calm the nerves.....just joking. What I found worked for me was to just chat when doing the test, just keep making conversation with the examiner. I found it dulled the nerves down a bit because if your just sitting there driving in silence the nerves can take over.

Good luck