Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• britchick_99702britchick_99702 Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I'm feeling a little concerned for Jason. He's looking a little tired and underweight than previously. He needs to eat copious amounts of his gorgeous food!
  • xflarexflare Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin is really cute lol
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »
    I think Jason Atherton is a terrible judge.

And an incredibly dull and boring, and somewhat unpleasant character.

Where is Nigel Haworth? A far better and nicer judge!

What is unpleasant about Jason Atherton?:confused:
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    What is unpleasant about Jason Atherton?:confused:

I can't speak for the OP, obviously, but I find that Jason comes across as a bit of a cold fish on TV, though he might well be a very nice chap in real life. He seems somewhat dour and humourless.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Jason very impressive. I can see the humourless comments as being fair but he seems very focussed and I'd far rather eat his food some of the other more jolly characters. I guess maybe he's just not quite right for the brief.

That being said I think the brief is fairly ridiculous. The stuff with the comics in the judging room is so forced and painful the watch. I wish they weren't there.
  • Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Briefly travelling back in time to the start of the week - the chef's who represent each region should have their restaurant in that region so for instance Charlie should have been in the South East heat or not at all.

I have a decent sense of humour but the look of Charlie's starter was unsuitable for any meal let alone a banquet and it didn't sound too appetising either.

Anyway on to the fish courses. Although I would enjoy the flavours of the cracker and mussels in Colin's dish, just going by the look the salmon chunk looked rather boring amongst the exciting additions. I'm sure it tasted more exceptional than it looked.

I liked Steph's pie. Very tricky to get the wasabi content of the faux peas correct. Seems she was unlikely to win as far as the flavour of those was concerned and was destined to be criticised either for underusing or overusing the wasabi flavour. I though she came closest to meeting the brief and the mark seemed lower than I expected although I could see what Jason meant by lacking the wow factor.

As for mad Charlie I didn't really get his idea of using cheap cuts despite the charitable angle of this year's theme but it didn't bother me particularly. I thought it looked a pretty good dish although there's always a question raised when meat is used as part of the fish course in this programme. I'd like to try the dish though. Then again I'd like to try all of the fish courses this week.

Without tasting the dishes the marking for Steph and Charlie seemed a bit stingy but I think Colin's course was so up Jason's street that he was always going to give him at least two more points than the others. Colin does seem the most sophisticated chef of the three or at least is taking a more classic approach to the week.

He seems certain to get through to the judges and I'm fairly sure to the final too. A close call between the other two as neither of their styles is Jason's cup of tea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to see the judges get the turd.

Plus I don't rate the lassie at all. She inspires zero confidence as a cook.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm assuming Colin will go through and then I'm torn between wanting Steph to go through verus seeing the Judges reactions when the "turd" is placed in front of them!
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I'm assuming Colin will go through and then I'm torn between wanting Steph to go through verus seeing the Judges reactions when the "turd" is placed in front of them!

Yup, exactly the same thoughts here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If he does get through he better not pussy out and change the presentation of the dog log.

Unless.....and representing the North East this would be both comic and geographically apt....he goes for a Viz themed plate.

Perhaps the duck moulded into Buster Gonad's Unfeasibly Large Testicles? Or Tina's Tits?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    As for mad Charlie I didn't really get his idea of using cheap cuts despite the charitable angle of this year's theme but it didn't bother me particularly. I thought it looked a pretty good dish although there's always a question raised when meat is used as part of the fish course in this programme. I'd like to try the dish though. Then again I'd like to try all of the fish courses this week.
    Not sure if there always is. In the first series Bryn won with turbot and oxtail.
    I think as long as the fish is the star then it's ok to go surf n turf.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edit: wrong thread.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »

Plus I don't rate the lassie at all. She inspires zero confidence as a cook.

Always read this thread but rarely post but ^^ sums up my thoughts on this week exactly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    How come Colin can sideline the brief yet still be ahead?
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Hello.
    I suppose it's pointless to repeat criticism of the chef who doesn't bother with the brief.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These mains are rubbish tonight, definitely don't like the look of Stephs or Colins and where has the humour gone tonight
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    that kebab looked dreadful along with the raw kidneys
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooooft, looking tough for the turd here.
  • addixaddix Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    At least Charlie's kebab tried to fit the brief. I can understand the ones that did a 'serious' goat dish in reference to the Africa link in previous weeks but Colin just doesn't seem to even try...yet still scores well.
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the chefs told what the brief is before they agree to take part?

Can't see any of the dishes so far this week getting to the banquet.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Are the chefs told what the brief is before they agree to take part?

Can't see any of the dishes so far this week getting to the banquet.

not even the bloody and urine smelling kidneys gently tossed in a polystyrene box?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    addix wrote: »
    At least Charlie's kebab tried to fit the brief. I can understand the ones that did a 'serious' goat dish in reference to the Africa link in previous weeks but Colin just doesn't seem to even try...yet still scores well.

I agree. Charlie´s kebab could be a good idea, it´s being funny by being politically incorrect, it´s provokative and makes you smile as in "how dare you". However, if he is going to do something like that, his cooking has to be absolutely perfect and it has to the best kebab ever tasted alongside some innovative aspect to it.

What Charlie served there is probably worse tan what I can get in my local kebab shop.

I don´t understand Collin´s rationale here, he is completely desrigarding the brief and he even ackonwledges that, yet he is still aiming to be at the banquet :confused:. He strikes to me as an intelligent guy, and having been on the program last year I´m buffled at how he is ignoring the brief.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Dission wrote: »
    I don´t understand Collin´s rationale here, he is completely desrigarding the brief and he even ackonwledges that, yet he is still aiming to be at the banquet :confused:. He strikes to me as an intelligent guy, and having been on the program last year I´m buffled at how he is ignoring the brief.

I think it's very clear that the chefs now know they can completely disregard the brief and not be penalised, so the smart thing to do is cook something the judge will like and to hell with anything else.

Colin's marks summed it up perfectly. Basically, he overcooked the duck breast and failed to get one of the key elements onto the plate. He scored 7, which is what I'd expect for a relatively simple dish with those mistakes.The fact that he didn't even attempt to meet the brief didn't seem to matter in the slightest.

The irritating part is that it takes more skill and creativity to cook a dish to a specific brief, but there's absolutely no incentive to try!

The irony with this series is that the whole "theme" thing has become a joke in itself. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »

and the kebab.. :D

I think they would explode.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought the kebab was a great idea but not for this event, assuming it's a traditional banquet.

If it was a combined street party and comic relief brief with a more casual atmosphere then possibly more food on this theme could work, like the season and shake chicken a few years back.

And obviously cooked better.

I wonder how the judges will vote on the comedy value part of the brief.