Iphone - is it locked?

marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can someone help.

I want to sell my iphone but i dont know if its locked or not.
i brought it sim free and then put my EE simcard in it. I brought it from carphone warehouse.

Will it be sim free as i get more on a trade in site if it is.

Or if its now locked to EE, then can i unlock it from that waste of space company.

thanks

Comments

• KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you got it from Carphone Warehouse then it will be locked to EE as the phones lock to the network of the first SIM card you used.

Hope this helps.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats not good then. So its not possible to do a factory reset and remove the locking. Sorry im not very gadget savvy so i dont know what im doing haha
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    marc822 wrote: »
    Thats not good then. So its not possible to do a factory reset and remove the locking. Sorry im not very gadget savvy so i dont know what im doing haha
    No!

Try a PAYG SIM from another network - if you have one - to check it is locked.

Is it over 6 months old? - EE will NOT unlock until then! If so follow the instructions on http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/unlocking-your-phone
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone help.

i brought it sim free and then put my EE simcard in it. I brought it from carphone warehouse.

Or if its now locked to EE, then can i unlock it from that waste of space company.
    Test it yourself by putting in a working SIM from another phone.

If it is locked, ask EE to unlock to for you. It's worth the £20 in resale value.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    http://iphoneimei.info/

check this out to find out if its locked or unlocked.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    Can someone help.

thanks

It will be locked to EE, as locking to the first UK sim is standard procedure for "sim free" iPhones bought from CPW.

You will need to request the unlock from EE:
    UNLOCKING YOUR DEVICE
    Has your device been active on an EE, T-Mobile or Orange network for longer than 6 months?

Yes
    No

Do you have an outstanding balance on your account?**
    **Only if you are an Pay Monthly customer.

Yes
    No
    I'm a Pay as you go Customer

Click here to fill out the Unlock form >
    Please note

The amount of time it takes to unlock your phone depends on the device type:

Apple iPhone / iPad, up to seven days
    Any other device type, up to ten days

We may need to contact your device manufacturer for your unlock code, which could take a little longer, if that’s the case we’ll let you know by SMS text message on the contact number you provide.
    http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/unlocking-your-phone
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Just get one of these for free and see if it works.
    https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk/free-minutes-sim-card?tracker=58f8dj
    If it doesn't you'll have to pay EE the 20 quid.
  • Mr_DBMr_DB Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    You can always try this site: https://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk - and you can check to see if it's locked here on their website (with IMEI number): https://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/imei-network-finder.php

If it is locked, they'll unlock it with Apple for you permanently without waiting 6 months. I've not used them myself, so I'd suggest paying by PayPal to give comfort that you won't get "done over". :)
    Forum Member
    Mr_DB wrote: »
    You can always try this site: https://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk - and you can check to see if it's locked here on their website (with IMEI number): https://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/imei-network-finder.php

If it is locked, they'll unlock it with Apple for you permanently without waiting 6 months. I've not used them myself, so I'd suggest paying by PayPal to give comfort that you won't get "done over". :)

They'll he asking around £100 to unlock an EE 5S (if they actually can), I also wouldn't rely on the online lock status checkers, they aren't 100% accurate.

With EE the only reasonable price for an unlock is officially via the network.

OP can be sure the phone is locked if they bought it simfree from CPW, the "lock to first UK sim" is the only only way they sell the iPhone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an unlocked iPhone 5c from CPW and it didn't lock to the first sim I put in it. I use 3 and occasionally put my Vodafone sim in it to keep it active.
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    They'll he asking around £100 to unlock an EE 5S (if they actually can), I also wouldn't rely on the online lock status checkers, they aren't 100% accurate.

With EE the only reasonable price for an unlock is officially via the network.

OP can be sure the phone is locked if they bought it simfree from CPW, the "lock to first UK sim" is the only only way they sell the iPhone.

Ah okay. The website says "from £19.99" for EE. I didn't look at it anymore than that, I just guessed that at most it'd be a little bit more than that, but maybe I'm wrong. Nothing wrong with the OP looking into it to see how much they will charge though if it's within 6 months and they use another SIM card to confirm it is locked? And if they get quoted the £19.99 or a reasonable price they're happy with, I'd definitely recommend paying by PayPal -- that way at least if it can't be done, their money is safe!
    Forum Member
    Mr_DB wrote: »
    Ah okay. The website says "from £19.99" for EE. I didn't look at it anymore than that, I just guessed that at most it'd be a little bit more than that, but maybe I'm wrong. Nothing wrong with the OP looking into it to see how much they will charge though if it's within 6 months and they use another SIM card to confirm it is locked? And if they get quoted the £19.99 or a reasonable price they're happy with, I'd definitely recommend paying by PayPal -- that way at least if it can't be done, their money is safe!
    It's "only" about £20 from EE - as long as it is over 6 months old! They will be 100% reliable.
    Forum Member
    I have an unlocked iPhone 5c from CPW and it didn't lock to the first sim I put in it. I use 3 and occasionally put my Vodafone sim in it to keep it active.

From the CPW website:
    iPhone will lock itself to the network of the first SIM card that is used in the phone. Subsequently attempting to use it on any other network, for example by replacing the SIM card, may mean it becomes permanently unusable. SIM free iPhones can only be used with a UK-network SIM card, and will not accept foreign SIM cards.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems a bit of a con for a "SIM free" phone to lock to the first network you use it in. Why does CPW do it that way?

I like that ominous disclaimer, as if it will explode if you try to use a different network's SIM and simply won't tell you to put a different one back in
    Forum Member
    From the CPW website:
    Yes this is what is SUPPOSED to occur! What will actually happen for each handset depends on how Apple's IMEI handset database is setup. It sounds as if the previous poster was lucky with his 5C!
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    It's "only" about £20 from EE - as long as it is over 6 months old! They will be 100% reliable.

Agreed - if it is over 6 months old, then EE would be the way to go. I was offering an potential solution because the question of it being under 6 months old came up.
    Forum Member
    Yes this is what is SUPPOSED to occur! What will actually happen for each handset depends on how Apple's IMEI handset database is setup. It sounds as if the previous poster was lucky with his 5C!

Speaking as someone who works in the industry, I have never seen or heard (and can be verified) of a sim free iPhone not locking to first UK sim inserted.

With regard to the poster and his 5c, who knows? Without being able to verify what he says its just a comment that can't be verified, while the CPW rules can easily be verified on their website, in a branch, or over the telephone...

The only way around it is to activate with a Three sim, then request them to unlock it (which is free and at any time).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking as someone who works in the industry, I have never seen or heard (and can be verified) of a sim free iPhone not locking to first UK sim inserted.

I don't know if I read that correctly, but if you're saying that you think all sim-free iPhones lock to the first network, then I have a sim-free 4S here that hasn't done that.

The difference is that it was not bought from CPW, it was bought from Apple.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sim free iPhones purchased directly from Apple definitely don't lock to the first sim.

I checked the IMEI number of my 5c purchased from CPW and the purchase country says HONG KONG I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    I don't know if I read that correctly, but if you're saying that you think all sim-free iPhones lock to the first network, then I have a sim-free 4S here that hasn't done that.

The difference is that it was not bought from CPW, it was bought from Apple.

We are discussing CarPhoneWarehouse (CPW) if you follow the thread (and see the post by BKM i was answering), I am only referring to CPW sold "sim free" iPhones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are discussing CarPhoneWarehouse (CPW) if you follow the thread, I am only referring to CPW sold "sim free" iPhones.

I am aware of the topic, but your statement made it sound as if it was any sim-free iPhone.
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    I am aware of the topic, but your statement made it sound as if it was any sim-free iPhone.

Perhaps if read by itself, but not if you read it in context with the other posts made around it.

But just for clarity, I'll repeat it, and make it clearer for you ;).

I have never seen or heard (and can be verified) of a sim free iPhone SUPPLIED BY CARPHONEWAREHOUSE not locking to first UK sim inserted.

With regard to the poster and his 5c, who knows? Without being able to verify what he says its just a comment that can't be verified, while the CARPHONEWAREHOUSE rules can easily be verified on their website, in a branch, or over the telephone...

The only way around it is to activate with a Three sim, then request them to unlock it (which is free and at any time).
    Forum Member
    That puzzles me! Normally networks supply the handset and know which IMEIs should be locked to them. With CPW they do not appear to know!

Say I have a current "worst to unlock" iPhone - say from EE to mention names! I contact 3 and lie in that I tell them it is a CPW supplied one locked to THEM. Will 3 happily contact Apple and instruct them to unlock it for me?:confused:

Or will Apple tell 3 - "we reject your request as the handset seems to really be locked to EE"?

BTW GiffGaff now supply fully unlocked PAYG iPhones. This used to be the Apple Store only.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,663
    Forum Member
    That puzzles me! Normally networks supply the handset and know which IMEIs should be locked to them. With CPW they do not appear to know!

I know that technicaly Three will know which IMEI is active on their network - so send that IMEI to apple, and apple can confirm when its unlocked. Three don't need to know where it was bought from, just that its active on the Three network.

Doesn't mean this is how they do it though.
    Forum Member

Say I have a current "worst to unlock" iPhone - say from EE to mention names! I contact 3 and lie in that I tell them it is a CPW supplied one locked to THEM. Will 3 happily contact Apple and instruct them to unlock it for me?:confused:

Or will Apple tell 3 - "we reject your request as the handset seems to really be locked to EE"?

Your guess is right, firstly when the iPhone activates the IMEI will register to the network and the network will have a record of the IMEI on network, secondly as you guessed, if Three were to request an unlock for an iPhone locked to EE (Apple will know the lock status from their own records), Apple would refuse the unlock as it isn't the "locked to" network making the request.