Options

Should free bus travel be means tested... (merged)

tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...or even scrapped entirely? I was spitting bullets when I heard about this earlier in the day. A report made by Oxera for the Local Government Association has called for bus passes to be made means tested, just as some benefits are now. If you can drive, have access to a car or can afford to pay the fare, they suggest you should lose your bus pass and pay up.

Here is a non Daily Mail link to the story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8186848.stm

Three obvious conclusions I can give that make this a non-starter and obviously show they haven't thought this through:
  1. Means testing people would be a bureaucratic nightmare, meaning those who cannot travel independently or afford to pay the fare for a bus will end up not travelling. How likely is it that someone will fill in a complicated form just to get a free bus pass? You'll probably see it costing as much or even more to administer such a scheme than it would to keep the status quo.
  2. The majority of people I see who travel are elderly people, and from what I heard on the radio earlier today, many are only taking the bus because it is free. If they charge the elderly to ride on the buses, then they'll stop using the buses and return to driving by car. Therefore, adding to congestion, CO2 emissions and worst of all, reducing income for bus companies. These companies will have to ask their remaining passengers for higher fares, pushing them into cars too - ultimately, services will have to be reduced or axed, and companies could even fold.
  3. This suggestion threatens to alienate elderly voters, who do go and vote in elections. If Labour thought they were going to be pounded in the elections next year, then let them introduce this idea... We know this country is in dire straits financially and we face having to cut costs in every single aspect of life, but this is just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

It comes just a day after a request was made for the Welsh Assembly to scrap all free bus travel.

I hope this idea doesn't come to fruition. So, should the elderly and disabled pay full fare to travel?

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Free bus travel is means tested?

I am entitled to a free bus pass because I'm mentally ill - and it's an incentive to get me out.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Free bus travel is means tested?
    That's the plan if these people at the Local Government Association get their way. You'll have to show that you cannot afford bus fare and are unable to drive before you would be entitled to keep your current bus pass.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the plan if these people at the Local Government Association get their way. You'll have to show that you cannot afford bus fare and are unable to drive before you would be entitled to keep your current bus pass.

Ohh right.. I'm with you now :)

Fair enough.

I drive anyway.. I only have the bus pass as a formality because someone in the psychiatric hospital I was in said I should apply for it and gave me the forms and took the photo
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth should free bus passes be scrapped? This was an insane idea that boy wonder Cameron had if his party ever got in to power. Free bus passes have been given out for years, so why stop them now?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bugger off!!
    I've just got mine and I f-ing love it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My great aunt informed me today that they are considering bringing in means testing for bus passes for the over 60's. This means that anyone who has saved up and has a little nest egg will not be entitled to the free bus passes that are currently being enjoyed. Has anyone heard anything concrete about this? I have to say this is news to me but if it is true I think it's utterly disgraceful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also got one because of mental health problems but as i have a phobia of travelling in buses ive only used it twice in 3 years
  • Options
    Sem1Sem1 Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad loves his pass, he'd be heart broken if it was taken away.
  • Options
    GayAtheistGayAtheist Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't, any of you, disagree with the concept of free bus passes for the elderly. Last time I did, I was called ageist (among other things) and the thread was closed.

I do, however, think that the system needs looking into again and maybe the free system replaced with one that uses nominal charges, especially in these difficult financial times!

That is not ageist (before anyone starts) just my opinion and a practical idea!
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they now feel they want remove something from the elderly and make them pay more from their already meagre pension or confine them to their houses for more time then maybe they could also means test MP's expences for their homes.
  • Options
    Sem1Sem1 Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad uses his every day, I think his keeping busy out and about, keeps him young at heart and benefits his mind. He will be 80 next June and still has all his marbles!!
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything free and age-related disappears like smoke when the baby boomers arrive. We're used to it.:(
  • Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well its one less thing the old people will be "discriminated against" with. Discrimination works both ways.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a case of some (not all) local authorities scaremongering to try and get more money out of central government.

Prior to April last year when a national scheme was introduced individual local authorites had their own schemes. Some allowed unlimited travel, others had off peak restrictions and many had limited voucher schemes. By standardising the scheme nationally those authorites who were previously the most stingy have found they had the biggest financial hole to fill and the government provision was not sufficent, so they are complaining.

Locally I have not heard a peep out of my local PTE as the national scheme is almost identical, in terms of coverage, to the one it replaced.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kind of makes sense really. Though it's inconvenient.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's England and Wales only that they're looking at (see http://www.lga.gov.uk/lga/core/page.do?pageId=2776727)

And from http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4355868c-827e-11de-8cc2-00144feabdc0.html:
    Others that look set to be questioned in terms of value for money and affordability include free prescriptions for all those aged over 60, the universal winter fuel allowance, and possibly free TV licences for those aged over 75.

I'd rather see them means test child benefit. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why dont they just be done with it and do the logans run policy in england . mean gits
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in favour of this. I've said it before, but it seems a total injustice to me that wealthy people over 60 can travel free just because of their age, while poor people under 60 have to pay. Means testing it is a great idea; hopefully it will happen, and be copied in Scotland too.

After all, no realistic person can doubt the need for spending cuts, so why not cut freebies to those able to pay?
    why dont they just be done with it and do the logans run policy in england . mean gits

Hysterical rubbish. Consideration is being given to withdrawing a free service that wasn't free until very recently from people who can afford to pay, and who only ever qualified because of unfair age discrimination, and suddenly it's "oh, they hate the old people".
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes, means test unimportant stuff like child benefit but stop a wealthy old lady from getting a free pass pass and forcing her to pay 50p concession price to get into town twice a week? Monstorous.

I LOVE how "means tested" in one case is lauded as a sensible, prudent and fair thing to do and in outhers its an "outrage"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AaronG wrote: »
    Oh yes, means test unimportant stuff like child benefit but stop a wealthy old lady from getting a free pass pass and forcing her to pay 50p concession price to get into town twice a week? Monstorous.

I LOVE how "means tested" in one case is lauded as a sensible, prudent and fair thing to do and in outhers its an "outrage"

You want to know what unfair means tested is? My Dad is chief of a public service and so I don't get any help towards university fees. Despite paying for them myself. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sem1 wrote: »
    My dad loves his pass, he'd be heart broken if it was taken away.

We'd all love free passes. Why should people be awarded them purely on age grounds?
  • Options
    The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    I don't see why it should be free. Why not just make it 10% of the adult fare?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You want to know what unfair means tested is? My Dad is chief of a public service and so I don't get any help towards university fees. Despite paying for them myself. :eek:

I've always thought it wrong that one adult person should be means-tested based on another person's income. Means-test students on their own income and savings by all means; I'm sure if Emma Watson or Daniel Radcliffe want to go to uni they'll be well able to pay for it themselves. But not on their parents.
  • Options
    KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
    Forum Member
    bubbsy wrote: »
    It's England and Wales only that they're looking at

So why wasn't this made clear in the article? I thought the Daily Mail was a national paper..........