Breaking news: Phones bend if you bend them

StigStig Posts: 12,446
Forum Member
✭✭
Apparently, it's not just the iPhone 6 Plus that cannae change the laws of physics:

http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/

Comments

• LowLifeLowLife Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Yeah but that report sort of misses the point. It's the ease with which the Iphone 6/6+ bends in comaprison to other phones that's the problem, far less effort required in comparison say to a Note 3.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Hahaha. That makes it OK then ..... Phew :D

Those of you with bent iPhones can now rest easy that the problem existed on old models of other phones ....the s4.... The Z1......

2012 tech again anyone ??? :p
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPhone 6+ users claim their phone bends just from day to day use, having it in their pockets etc. That's the breaking news.
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    iPhone 6+ users claim their phone bends just from day to day use, having it in their pockets etc. That's the breaking news.

Calm down:p

Cult of Mac has trawled the web and found a few cases of old android models that did the same. Its apple playing catch up again. IPhone 7 will probably iron out the issues like newer androids look to have - although I'm sure someone will find evidence somewhere of it still happening on newer models ;)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Original video iphone 6+ :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM

Same test on the Galaxy Note 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0

Definitely nothing to see here, don't you know Apple phones never have any faults :D:D
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (wasn't that the first response to antennagate as well?
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704913304575371131458273498
    But [jobs] also showed videos of rival devices that he said had similar reception problems.
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Original video iphone 6+ :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM

Same test on the Galaxy Note 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0

Definitely nothing to see here, don't you know Apple phones never have any faults :D:D

My god ! Are you saying that samsung HAVE managed to change the laws of physics .... Has the OP seen this ?????? :D
  • PadrePadre Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not a fault!

Its a ground breaking new and innovative feature, the iPhone 6+ shapes itself to fit more comfortably in your pocket. ;-)

Just you doubters wait and see, all other manufacturers will copy this for their flagship phones. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Tim cook says "use other pocket"
    Forum Member
    I wonder what needs to happen for Apple users to actually speak out critically on here about apple products ??

Surely even the most ardent fan must admit this looks like it could be a design flaw that other manufacturers seem to have mostly ironed out by now ??

Can we not merge this thread with the nexus 4/2012 one for consistency ?? :)
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I've said, the phatlet size is not praticle as a portable device. There are many stories of screens breaking in pockets and now this. Hardly surprising considering the size of the phones.

Those who buy these huge phones should get themselves a 'man bag' to complete the look.
  • Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I thought it was an optional extra... Apple are saying that if you want, you too can have a curved screen phone. Just leave it in your pocket for a short while.

Innovative Apple strike again!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    My god ! Are you saying that samsung HAVE managed to change the laws of physics .... Has the OP seen this ?????? :D

Big thin aluminum shell is prone to bending and staying bent, and other damage. That's what thin metal does. Plastic shell needs more effort, it bends, but it comes back. You have to bend and break it. With previous models this was not a problem for Apple, but apparently size does matter.
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    As I've said, the phatlet size is not praticle as a portable device. There are many stories of screens breaking in pockets and now this. Hardly surprising considering the size of the phones.

Those who buy these huge phones should get themselves a 'man bag' to complete the look.

My Note 3 has been through all sorts of trials and tribulations from being dropped to spending long amounts of time in my pockets even when driving.... screen still intact and phone still straight! :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do have a man bag, but carry my Lumia 1520 in my pocket for 9 months now, no damage whatsoever. It's Apple's fault for making the phone from very thin aluminum. Plastic probably isn't premium, but it's better suited for a device of this size.
    Forum Member

So its everyone else's fault for forcing apple down the phablet route ? :p

Seems the manufacturers don't have the issue as much though these days .... Spooky :)
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple increasingly come across like Sony from years back, former kings of quality and well-thought-out design and then they suddenly weren't any more.

Turns out Steve Jobs was a genius after all...
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    You wouldn't think you could make this stuff up, actually defending a company for producing a bananna phone, just not when bought.

I do wonder if the vast majority of iphones actually didn't work out of the box, would that be defended too, after all some android phones have broken too.

It amazes me how this blind loyalty survey only came back with a 78% result and not 99%.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time will tell if they all do bend literally from just from having them in your from pocket.

It it becomes a big story with literally millions of people complaining and returning them, then it will look like they do.

If this story just fades away quietly like so many others, then it will look like they don't.

So we're back on the blind loyalty thing - in a dramatic twist, new Apple products now come with something called a guarantee. This allows people to return said products if they are unhappy with them and get a full refund.
    Forum Member
    This isn't going the way the OP thought.
    Forum Member
    This isn't going the way the OP thought.

But to be fair he can point us to other threads that have gone equally badly to make it all OK though :D
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,503
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    phone bends just from day to day use, having it in their pockets etc. That's the breaking news.
    Big phones, small pockets, tight trousers, fat arses, small brains. A deadly combination. ;-)
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Big phones, small pockets, tight trousers, fat arses, small brains. A deadly combination. ;-)

Probably exactly this.
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    But to be fair he can point us to other threads that have gone equally badly to make it all OK though :D

Well now Calico has joined in I expect the thread to turn into a couple of dozen pages about how it's down to too many ppi that has weakened the screen and that's why some of the phones are bending. :D
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung patented a flexible screen awhile back, whoops. :p
This discussion has been closed.