IOS 8.1 on Monday

BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
Forum Member
As title! For anyone who missed the iPad launch event today.

Camera Roll returns!

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a few random reboots recently on my 5 so hopefully this might resolve those.

Just downloaded the 'new' iTunes as well. A red icon no less ! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    Camera Roll returns!

Yes I cheered when I saw that announced yesterday by Craig
    Been so so frustrating trying to use the way it as it is at the moment.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Yes I cheered when I saw that announced yesterday by Craig
    Been so so frustrating trying to use the way it as it is at the moment.
    I got really frustrated on the previous system - where my photos were taking up TWICE the memory they needed - once in Camera Roll and again with the SAME photo in Photo Stream! I wanted Photo Stream on to make things GO to my iPad - not come back as well!

I hope that they can avoid this duplication in 8.1. It seemed to not be present on the 8.0 scheme. Or it was better disguised:o
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What, 8.1 already? And they say Apple does not innovate anymore :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bugs I hope this fixes on my iPhone 6:

- 'Sticky' notifications that don't disappear and sometimes can't be swiped away
    - Safari and Photos not remembering preferred order of extensions
    - A-Z list in Artists tab in Music app not working (worked fine on my 5 and 5s, but doesn't work at all on my 6)
    - Quite a few albums now listed as Unknown Artist in Music app, despite being fine before
    - Intermittent issue of tabs becoming unresponsive in Safari
    - Occasional crashing of Messages app
    - Occasional mini crash of phone (Apple logo displayed for a few seconds)
    - Graphical glitch with the parallax feature, where the grey of the dock sometimes moves up in a way that it shouldn't
    - Scrolling issues with third-party keyboards, where the keyboard obscures the lower part of the screen

There are probably others, but those are my main gripes.
    Forum Member
    Bugs I hope this fixes on my iPhone 6:

There are probably others, but those are my main gripes.
    I think its fair to say that 8.0 was NOT Apples greatest release - I am having problems with WiFi to my router but ONLY on the 5GHz band - not 2.4!

However I have total confidence that 8.1 will get almost all of the bugs sorted!
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Is this likely to revive Safari on my iPad 2 which has been part crippled by iOS 8? Talk about a step backwards. I suspect this sort of thing is done on purpose to encourage the consumer to buy a replacement tablet.

They reckon consumers aren't replacing their tablets fast enough. :o
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    They reckon consumers aren't replacing their tablets fast enough. :o
    Alternatively everyone is too keen to upgrade! I advised a friend with an iPad 2 to stay well clear of IOS 8 for, at least, some weeks!
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Alternatively everyone is too keen to upgrade! I advised a friend with an iPad 2 to stay well clear of IOS 8 for, at least, some weeks!

Better still, stay clear full stop.
    Forum Member
    Is this likely to revive Safari on my iPad 2 which has been part crippled by iOS 8?

What problems are you having?
    Im running an iPad2 on iOS8 and had no problems at all with safari.

The only problem I had with iOS8 as did many others on iphones too, was for the U2 digital booklet download problem and the annoying message 'Unable to download item. Please try again later' when entering ibooks, which is now fixed by using the apple removal tool for the U2 free album content.
  • cliversclivers Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Lets hope they have fixed the sync problems. i have no music on my iphone now.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    What problems are you having?
    Im running an iPad2 on iOS8 and had no problems at all with safari.

The only problem I had with iOS8 as did many others on iphones too, was for the U2 digital booklet download problem and the annoying message 'Unable to download item. Please try again later' when entering ibooks, which is now fixed by using the apple removal tool for the U2 free album content.

Let me say out the outset, this is a completely clean install, so there should not have been any issues.

However, I do get apps randomly closing for no apparent reason, most notably Met Office.

The most significant issue however, and one that is being widely reported is the laggy nature of Safari. It has always been very smooth and quick - not any more. Tabs now routinely take between 3 and 5 seconds to open whereas previously they were almost instant. Loading pages can often freeze too.

I can't help but wonder if this is deliberate in order to make people like myself upgrade to a newer model.

Wireless is good in our house and I'm using the new Time Capsule with AE.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    how's iOS 8 going with the swype type keyboards? Does swype itself work, or just swiftkey? And does it work on the iPhone 5S or just the new ones? cheers (OH is eyeing iPhone as apparently they are "simpler").
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IOS8 has totally strangled our ipad2, it's Soooooo SLOW now, I mean you are literally waiting seconds after hitting an icon or tapping the screen before it reacts to you, what was once a smooth/fast experience has turned into a complete lag fest!

I hope 8.1 improves it abit but I won't hold my breath.

There's one or two bugs on my 5S but on the whole it's fine, no reboots or freezes that's the main thing lol
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,663
    Forum Member
    Is this likely to revive Safari on my iPad 2 which has been part crippled by iOS 8? Talk about a step backwards. I suspect this sort of thing is done on purpose to encourage the consumer to buy a replacement tablet.

Sadly Apple don't make it clear. iPad 2 and iPad Mini (original) both have the same A5 CPU which has only 512mb RAM inside. The same as the iPhone 4S. All the other iPhones and iPads have 1GB of RAM.

So apps are now designing for 1GB of RAM, and I'm sure this includes Safari - which can only just about hold a single tab open on an iPad 2 / mini - and reloads all the time.

Very surprised the Original Mini is still for sale for this reason, makes it very hard for app developers.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sensible approach is not to upgrade until you have lots of feedback about your iOS device from other users.
  • ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how's iOS 8 going with the swype type keyboards? Does swype itself work, or just swiftkey? And does it work on the iPhone 5S or just the new ones? cheers (OH is eyeing iPhone as apparently they are "simpler").

No problems with swype on my 6 plus.
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    IOS8 has totally strangled our ipad2, it's Soooooo SLOW now, I mean you are literally waiting seconds after hitting an icon or tapping the screen before it reacts to you, what was once a smooth/fast experience has turned into a complete lag fest!

I hope 8.1 improves it abit but I won't hold my breath.

There's one or two bugs on my 5S but on the whole it's fine, no reboots or freezes that's the main thing lol
    Well 8.1 should now have all the bug fixes that were expected to be in 8.0.3!

For me the network performance on the 5GHz band was very laggy with a BT HH5 router- but switching back to 2.4GHz was much better. This is the main fix I want:o
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,663
    Forum Member
    For me the network performance on the 5GHz band was very laggy with a BT HH5 router- but switching back to 2.4GHz was much better. This is the main fix I want:o

No problems with an ASUS RT-AC68U with both an iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 and iPad Mini Retina/2 all with iOS 8.0.2 ??

I use 5GHz exclusively, the 2.4GHz is only there for my WiFi Radio.
  • kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Have many iPads across my own business, personal and work
    Six are iPad 2, a few ipad (4th) and three are iPad air

Not seen any of the problems with iOS 8 some are having
    IPad 2 are now 3 year old and are running as new
    Use them all over with many wifis
    They are heavily used and also run some heavy business apps
    All these are updated regularly over the air and have never seen a PC/mac with itunes
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    No problems with an ASUS RT-AC68U with both an iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 and iPad Mini Retina/2 all with iOS 8.0.2 ??

I use 5GHz exclusively, the 2.4GHz is only there for my WiFi Radio.
    Searching with Google problems at 5GHz with IOS8 are not unknown BUT are with only some makes of router.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clivers wrote: »
    Lets hope they have fixed the sync problems. i have no music on my iphone now.

i had that problem. the work around was to untick the sync for all music, then sync, so it wipes all the music off the phone, then tick the box to sync all your music (or whatever playlists etc you choose), and then sync and it works. PITA tho and i'm surprised the last update didn't fix it
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Instant Hotspot, SMS Relay, Apple Pay and iCloud Photo Library will be available tomorrow with the iOS 8.1 update for those owning and iOS device and running OS X Yosemite. Bluetooth pairing will also be fixed.
    Forum Member
    Let me say out the outset, this is a completely clean install, so there should not have been any issues.

However, I do get apps randomly closing for no apparent reason, most notably Met Office.

The most significant issue however, and one that is being widely reported is the laggy nature of Safari. It has always been very smooth and quick - not any more. Tabs now routinely take between 3 and 5 seconds to open whereas previously they were almost instant. Loading pages can often freeze too.

I rarely use Safari, my browser of choice is iCab mobile and Puffin for those old sites that still use flash.
    But gave Safari a good go yesterday and had no lag problems with all kinds of sites for a good few hours. Sites were displayed almost instantly and experienced no freezes (not that I recall I ever have).
    I use Met office many times a day (my hobby is weather) and have had no problems with it crashing.
    I have always used OTA updates for this iPad 2, since scratch. Its not had any kind of restore and not seen PC itunes.
    One thing I have done since iOS7 that was recommended for older iPads by Apple was to turn off Parallax, it stops motion effects in the home screen and in some other parts of the system. Switch this off in Settings>General>Accessibility>Reduce Motion.
    Also, assume you have some storage left, 100mb is seen as the lowest usable limit.
    I have 4gb left on mine. But I am generally good at day to day housekeeping.

I spoke with a number of friends/colleagues yesterday I know who have iPad2 and none were reporting any lags and all happy with iOS8. A few had app problems but that was app related (always expected with a new release), all but one is fixed now.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one experiencing problems with facetime?

I have the iPad Air and whenever I Facetime for more than 10 minutes... my ipad freezes, goes to a bluey screen for half a second then restarts again?!?

What is this Apple? Windows 98?