Options

Thunder and lighting storm watch

Comments

• Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Lightningmaps.org is the best I have seen for lightning, despite the fact that it does not necessarily show every strike. They do say that it performs better with ground strikes than with intercloud strikes, so maybe intercloud is what you were experiencing locally.

For rainfall, the best I have seen is the Met Office 15 minute updated site.

www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map/#?map=Rainfall

but http://www.raintoday.co.uk is an alternative you could try

Thanks for your post. This is an area that surely must improve. I'm not impressed by the metoffice site or the other. Weather satellites, rain radar, lighning detectors - it's all there to be displayed. I dare say other countries already do it better.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Cheltenham races are going to get the storm next.

Yep bucketing down there now, though it's been dark and damp for most of the day already
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    France is now totally clear of any storms.
    Kicking off again between Alençon and Lisieux.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am puzzled as to why people are so excited about the prospect of their home being destroyed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I am puzzled as to why people are so excited about the prospect of their home being destroyed.
    I doubt if anyone is, just resigned to the fact that it can happen but is very improbable, like having an asteroid fall on it.
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Started again in Birmingham
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    Last night/this morning I heard the loudest rumble of thunder I have ever heard in my life. The night before we had a massive storm and Waitrose was shut yesterday as the storm had cut off their power.

I love a good storm, hope we get more tonight.
  • Options
    AliKatAliKat Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Back for round 3 in my little corner of the West Midlands. Been thundering and lightning for about an hour on and off. Luckily my dog and cats are not bothered and are fast asleep!
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like there is a big one over france at the moment am I a bit sad in wanting it to cross the channel in iy's current state:blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Looks like there is a big one over france at the moment am I a bit sad in wanting it to cross the channel in iy's current state:blush:

Not at all sad, because if it stays active and follows the same path as they have been previously I'll get more :D
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Storm that was previously in the Bristol, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire area, has now hit the West Midlands and Warwickshire. Short but intense, it looks like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's back over here (Wilts), seemingly out of nowhere.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    I doubt if anyone is, just resigned to the fact that it can happen but is very improbable, like having an asteroid fall on it.

Well our dog gets very distressed and if he's distressed, I am not happy at all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Had a big washout downpour this morning, but no thunder/lightning..dead close and hot though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Well our dog gets very distressed and if he's distressed, I am not happy at all
    Quite understandable. Our neighbour's dog is just the same.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Never saw any of the forecast rain in my area, it has been sunny and hot all day.
  • Options
    Gizmo210688Gizmo210688 Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very dark with rumbles of thunder over parts of Rotherham and Sheffield at the moment....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Really heavy rain and thunder and lightening in Sheffield
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thunder and lightning just started up here again. I have a dog and luckily it doesn't seem to bother her, same with fireworks.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunny in North Kent at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thunder and lightning just started up here again. I have a dog and luckily it doesn't seem to bother her, same with fireworks.

My little dog isn't bothered either. He was out in the garden in it last night :D
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like these are just localised heavy showers with a bit of thunder thrown in for good measure. A real thunderstorm would last a few hours and cover much of the country. Haven't seen one of those here for several years. Hot sun, blue sky with a few wispy clouds in the north London area for the past few days is all I can report..
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Seems like these are just localised heavy showers with a bit of thunder thrown in for good measure. A real thunderstorm would last a few hours and cover much of the country. Haven't seen one of those here for several years. Hot sun, blue sky with a few wispy clouds in the north London area for the past few days is all I can report..

Should have seen the one here last night never seen so many flashes before.
    I really should have got my camera out and recorded it in HD but was just so hot and tired.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should have seen the one here last night never seen so many flashes before.

Even here I could see the sky lighting up in your direction last night.

Large cell that tracked over Le Havre simply died as it went into the channel, which is the opposite to what I thought happened to storms in that they gained power over open water......
  • Options
    Gizmo210688Gizmo210688 Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very dark with rumbles of thunder over parts of Rotherham and Sheffield at the moment....

....which has been and gone. Light rain and still very overcast, but brighter and no visible signs of any other storms heading this way. Seems to be the norm really, a few localised heavy showers, lots of thunder and a few flashes of lightning. Looked nice though.