Options

Acceptable in the 70's - CHRISTMAS SPECIAL!!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Boom' indeed, how did you find the FIVE year old thread to bump and why?

Sorry, but why does it matter?
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »

For some reason, some people view it as the end of the world :confused: as long as the topic is nostalgic, or. can still be discussed I don't see the issue as long as its not happening all the time.

Did you all wear helmets with your bikes? Whats the worst present you could get in this decade?
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn, for a moment I thought there was going to be another episode of the TV program.

In the 70s it was always a triple dinner day for me, an hour long drive to a relative's get together in the morning (meal #1) then halfway back to the grandparents for another feast (meal #2) and then home by evening for meal #3. At this stage I could barely breath or buckle my belt, but there was always room for chocolates, and there were so many random bottles of alcohol open that nobody ever noticed I finished most of them off. And the odd cigar.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a scalextric in the 70s as a main present.
    I am not kidding or joking in any way.
    It happened.
    I am a female.:o
    I cant express how disappointed I felt and still remember it .
    My younger brother was 2 so I can only think it was bought for him to be played with vicariously through me.
    I didn't want the bloody thing..

I had lego, cars and meccano (and I'm female too) I think my dad wanted a boy :cry:

I remember my mum buying presents for all of my cousins and children of friends and we used to spend one Saturday afternoon just before Christmas driving round to deliver them and visiting everyone. These days a lot of families live so far apart that it wouldn't happen and you can just order online and have things delivered to their homes.
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    berger45 wrote: »
    love 70's telly, especially sitcoms like bless this house, man about the house, the good life...

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/issues#decade-1950

http://radiosoundsfamiliar.com/the-tv-times-archive.php
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    They showed the '77 Xmas Special on BBC2 earlier and it was much better than any of the tripe they churn out today.

Loved it.

They seem to try too hard these days and just end up getting it wrong and some try to be overly correct about everything , the Brits have a great sense of humour , often around moaning and complaining but it just doesn't seem to come across onscreen as often, are some of todays writers trying so hard to be funny that they just aren't ? I do find Benidorm and Mrs Browns Boys funny as they are not as PC as some of the others and are funny without being offensive .
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alll I want for Christmas is a dekla prague away kit, well that and the ever so realistic floodlight pylons :cool:
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a child, I've fond memories of watching The Val Doonican Christmas show on BBC1 Christmas Eve night, followed usually by a half decent adult film premiere around 10pm (not the crap comedy shows we get now), and then. .wait for it. . a carol service just before midnight.

Then waking up on Christmas Day and having presents, something I rarely get since I've been adult.

I remember the Val Donnican show on Christmas Eve in the 1980s too. At about the time I would be going to bed I think :D
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's an idea for the likes of Netflix, a playlist of all the programming from the Christmas day past of your choice. 'Course the licensing would be a nightmare and likely never happen....
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was searching old threads a few weeks ago for my acceptable in the 2000's thread, when i came across this one and saved it because i wanted to bump it nearer xmas for everyone. i thought it would be interesting :)

It was interesting to me, I enjoyed watching that.
    I can recall us having a Clairol hair dryer like that black and green on in the advert.
    My sister was given a Fidelity record player like the one in the advert, or one like it.
    memories of past days.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    alll I want for Christmas is a dekla prague away kit, well that and the ever so realistic floodlight pylons :cool:

My subbuteo floodlights came in very handy in the Chrismasses of the early 70's :p

People my age will remember why, and the biggest selling item were candles!
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boom.

who remembers this advert? What do you think of it?

http://youtu.be/GSFWDh9n96c?t=35s

Wow, I usually try to pay about the same sort of prices for the equivalent items now. :blush:
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boom.

who remembers this advert? What do you think of it?

http://youtu.be/GSFWDh9n96c?t=35s

I really miss Woolies. :(

That store was a part of my growing up. It was the wonderful simplicity of shopping there, especially at Christmas. If I wanted a present, I knew that Woolies would have what I needed.

I really miss the high street of old.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Whilst there were only 3 channels to choose from
    here is a rough guide to what was on tv in the 70s on Christmas day we Always watched BBC BTW

2 Totp
    3 THE Queen
    3.10 Big Film, getting its first showing on tv ie Butch cassidy and sundance kid was on in 74
    5 ish Disney Time
    6 Bruce forsyth Generation Game
    7 Two Ronnies
    8 Mike Yarwood
    9 Another newish Film

Great line up if you ask me

Here is One of my 70s Christmas present list

Haunted House Board Game
    Matchbox Cascade (A Game where you put Balls up a Cascade and they bounced on Drums before repeating the process
    an LP OF WHOEVER WAS IN
    Disneyland Annual
    Some Matchbox or DINKY Cars
    Puzzle or Board Game

This was Christmas 74 (think)

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.
    Cat Weazel.

;-)
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charlie1 wrote: »
    I really miss Woolies. :(

That store was a part of my growing up. It was the wonderful simplicity of shopping there, especially at Christmas. If I wanted a present, I knew that Woolies would have what I needed.

I really miss the high street of old.

You're not the only one that misses Woolies, especially at Christmas time. :)

Other stores have displays of decorations etc but, for some unknown reason, it's just not the same. :confused:

I wonder if it might be something to do with not being 10 or so years old any more? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    You're not the only one that misses Woolies, especially at Christmas time. :)

Other stores have displays of decorations etc but, for some unknown reason, it's just not the same. :confused:

I wonder if it might be something to do with not being 10 or so years old any more? :(

Nan, I just know that I was happy with my lot at Christmas. These days it just seems to be so technical.

I'm getting old. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I have aged around 40 years since then too. :blush:
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    charlie1 wrote: »
    Nan, I just know that I was happy with my lot at Christmas. These days it just seems to be so technical.

I'm getting old. :(

About 5 years ago I told my teenage sons we were having an old fashioned Christmas, techno free, they had near enough everything in that line anyway.

So it was board games, Meccano, Lego, Colouring books, trains, bubbles etc...
    their friends came round and I could not get rid of them for the rest of the day.

Boys and their toys. ;-)
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    I remember the Val Donnican show on Christmas Eve in the 1980s too. At about the time I would be going to bed I think :D

Yes Val was on xmas eve, good memory
    http://ukchristmastv.weebly.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »
    About 5 years ago I told my teenage sons we were having an old fashioned Christmas, techno free, they had near enough everything in that line anyway.

So it was board games, Meccano, Lego, Colouring books, trains, bubbles etc...
    their friends came round and I could not get rid of them for the rest of the day.

Boys and their toys. ;-)

It sounds wonderful, bookcover. x :)
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great hairy muffs that could choke a dozen donkeys

Acceptable in the 70s

now banned by the conservatives
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh?

Do you mean great furry muffs banned by the conservationists?
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have hairy ear muffs I have just bought ;-D I thought this was to do with the TV programme too. I think they should make an "Acceptable in the 70s Christmas special". I am sure if they look hard enough, the researchers could find something in more recent years, the 70s are too an easy target :-D
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »

I don't get it either. starry_rune posted something relevant so why should it matter if it's an old thread? If they'd started a new thread I'm sure a wannabe mod would've been along with a link to tell them there's already a thread on this subject, as they very often do! Someone bumped a thread from last year the other day and they too posted something relevant before another poster came along asking them why they'd bumped it. It's one of the few things about this place that really gets on my nerves.

Anyway back to the thread, I was born in 76 so don't really have any memories of a 70s Christmas. I do like watching Christmas specials of TV shows from that time though.
  • Options
    ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a Strika oh happy days😃

Me too. Blue and yellow.

Still had it at age 15, and managed to sell it for a few quid.