Options

The Leicester Square Switzerland Pavillion Clock

lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
Forum Member
I've always made a beeline for this whenever I've been to London as I was in awe of it as a child. In case there's anyone who never saw it, on the hour, a backdrop on the corner of the building would rotate to reveal an Alpine scene, and a huge glockenspiel would play tunes as wooden farmers would herd their cattle across the front of the building.

Just went to find it on Google Streetview, and it's gone!! Why? They seem to have just hung the old bells on a very dull-looking post - no farmers or anything. Even the ornate clock seems to have been downgraded to a cheap-looking thing.
Why?? This was one of the big London stopping-points! Where the Swiss pavillion was now stands an anaemic-looking glass building.
Did English Heritage not have something to say about it?

edit: Found a video of it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_4kLmPZXh0

Comments

• Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember this so well from being little eventhough it was there when I grew up.

Couple of things I thought as a child,

One, where did they all disappear too and I couldn't work out how the scenery changed.

Two, because of the above^^, was never quite sure whether any of it was real.
    (we are talking very young here)

I remember the shop inside as well, very expensive and once we had something to eat there.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The farmers and stuff are still there, they just only apepar when the clock strikes- I saw it when I was in London last month.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    The farmers and stuff are still there, they just only apepar when the clock strikes- I saw it when I was in London last month.

Where are they? I don't see them on Streetview.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may be wrong, but I think it's outside M&Ms World.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup. It's down towards the exit that heads in the direction of Piccadilly. Not exactly the same one but it's now on a high post.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7y0vtnOwfw
    A new version of the famous Glockenspiel has been inaugurated at the entrance to Leicester Square in London. The original musical attraction was added to the square's Swiss Centre in 1985 as a gift from Switzerland Tourism. When the building was demolished in 2008, a new home had to be found for the bells. (Julie Hunt, swissinfo.ch

interestingly local businesses objected to it being re-instated, so the new location is a compromise.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Where are they? I don't see them on Streetview.

The Red & White circular bit lowers, and they're under there.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so who remembers Guiness Clocks ?