Hollyoaks General Discussion (Part 19)

Comments

• Killjoy2013Killjoy2013 Posts: 1,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TvGeek_ wrote: »
    She has, it'd be great to see phoebe grow closer to some of the other McQueens once
    Jacqui has left.

wouldn't be surprised if Theresa gave her a make over & she becomes the latest bike in HO
  • SkyfallSkyfall Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    She has, it'd be great to see phoebe grow closer to some of the other McQueens once
    Jacqui has left.

Hollyoaks Claire Cooper as Jacqui has done a remakable job in her role. Hope she gets alot of awards for her role.
    Forum Member
    The Osbournes are a good family it's Frankie who is the problem,if anyone deveres to live with a good family it's Phoebo, Ruby has destoryed their trust and hurt Esther alot, Still can't belive they let her stay and think of her as family after everything she has done to Esther.
    Forum Member
    Nearly everyone afaird to stand up to Frankie, Phoebo wouldn't be scared of Frankie. Phoebo really hates seeing good people suffer andbad people get away with it. Phoebo hates bullys, rude people and bad people hurting kind people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ‘Eh up folks! Been a long time since I commented on Oaks. Didn’t watch last year but tuned in from January this year to see Brendan’s exit (and Jacqui’s too).

I’m sorry to say that even as a fan of Brendan/Emmett I found his ending very anti-climatic and rushed. Now I’m not knocking the production values (which were great) or the acting (which was also good), but I felt the writing was sloppy. Firstly you had deadly dull Dodger and has family taking up screen time which I think was a mistake for starters. Secondly, you have the feud with Walkers Crisps. There was so much clichéd build-up to a showdown (threats being made, Walker hiding out in an abandoned building etc) that was over in one episode. Basically all that build-up never payed off in me eyes.

Then there’s all the plot holes (CCTV at the club?!) and convenient writing – why was Walkers Crisps not searched when he was arrested and more to the point why was he cuffed in plastic cable ties?! :S I know the police have had budget cuts but do they seriously have no metal handcuffs? There’s also the matter of the car chase for the sake of it and the fact that Oaks police are useless. The whole force couldn’t catch an old grandpa that was murdering half the female population but they have an entire SWAT team, helicopter and officers galore on standby for when TWO gun shots are fired in the nightclub. Don’t think Oaks has ever seen so many police officers at one time :p;)

Also, is anyone else disappointed with the way the abuse storyline was handled? They seemed to favour the revenge plot with Walker because it included guns, fight scenes, car chases etc. basically the latter was clichéd and the storyline with Papa Brady was underused. Anyone just wish Brendan’s final storyline revolved around him and Big Papa Brady going toe-to-toe? As someone who has a similar relationship with his father as Brendan did with his (minus being gay and the sexual abuse) I was disappointed that plot wasn’t used more.

That being said, I thought the acting was good, the production was brilliant and I liked the ending montage of the episode with Johnny Cash playing – Brendan/Emmett has a great taste in music ;D. Overall though, I’ve seen better exits on a room with no doors….

Anyways, as a viewer who’s just got back into Oaks can someone please explain a few things to me:
    1) Cheryl walked in on Brendan cutting up a dead body in Later yet she didn’t seem fazed by it in the main show. Did she forgive Brendan and why?
    2) Who is the plank of wood that was working with Walker and why was he working with Walker?
    3) Who’s the girl that was being drugged by the plank of wood?
    4) What’s the connection between Walker and Mitzeee and Carl?
    5) Since when has Douglas been gay?
    6) When did Ste become such a whiney drip?

Sorry for the long post :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    wouldn't be surprised if Theresa gave her a make over & she becomes the latest bike in HO

Haha, I'd like to see her become friends with Theresa, although please no makeover! Lol :) Could bring out a different side to Theresa as well :)
    Forum Member
    ‘Eh up folks! Been a long time since I commented on Oaks. Didn’t watch last year but tuned in from January this year to see Brendan’s exit (and Jacqui’s too).

I’m sorry to say that even as a fan of Brendan/Emmett I found his ending very anti-climatic and rushed. Now I’m not knocking the production values (which were great) or the acting (which was also good), but I felt the writing was sloppy. Firstly you had deadly dull Dodger and has family taking up screen time which I think was a mistake for starters. Secondly, you have the feud with Walkers Crisps. There was so much clichéd build-up to a showdown (threats being made, Walker hiding out in an abandoned building etc) that was over in one episode. Basically all that build-up never payed off in me eyes.

Then there’s all the plot holes (CCTV at the club?!) and convenient writing – why was Walkers Crisps not searched when he was arrested and more to the point why was he cuffed in plastic cable ties?! :S I know the police have had budget cuts but do they seriously have no metal handcuffs? There’s also the matter of the car chase for the sake of it and the fact that Oaks police are useless. The whole force couldn’t catch an old grandpa that was murdering half the female population but they have an entire SWAT team, helicopter and officers galore on standby for when TWO gun shots are fired in the nightclub. Don’t think Oaks has ever seen so many police officers at one time :p;)

Also, is anyone else disappointed with the way the abuse storyline was handled? They seemed to favour the revenge plot with Walker because it included guns, fight scenes, car chases etc. basically the latter was clichéd and the storyline with Papa Brady was underused. Anyone just wish Brendan’s final storyline revolved around him and Big Papa Brady going toe-to-toe? As someone who has a similar relationship with his father as Brendan did with his (minus being gay and the sexual abuse) I was disappointed that plot wasn’t used more.

That being said, I thought the acting was good, the production was brilliant and I liked the ending montage of the episode with Johnny Cash playing – Brendan/Emmett has a great taste in music ;D. Overall though, I’ve seen better exits on a room with no doors….

Anyways, as a viewer who’s just got back into Oaks can someone please explain a few things to me:
    1) Cheryl walked in on Brendan cutting up a dead body in Later yet she didn’t seem fazed by it in the main show. Did she forgive Brendan and why?
    2) Who is the plank of wood that was working with Walker and why was he working with Walker?

BIB- 2) The plank of wood is Kevin, although I'm not entirely sure why he was working for Walker, he had Walker listed as 'Dad' on his phone and Walker once called him 'Son,' so it could be that he was forced into it by Walker (who is now dead) if he actually was Kevin's Dad.

3) The girl who was drugged is Maxine, Mitzeee's sister. He was drugging her because he had been ordered to kill her by Walker, as she had found out something about Walker which he didn't want her to know. Kevin didn't want to kill her because he loves her, so he was drugging her and hiding her instead.

4) Carl is Mitzeee's Uncle (not first Uncle though), former lover and also the Father of the 'love of mitzeee's life,' Riley, who was also her third cousin, before he got shot and killed.

Sorry I can't answer any of your other questions, I don't watch HO Later and ever since I started watching the show, Doug has been gay and Ste has been annoying and whiney :)
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    delete
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB- 2) The plank of wood is Kevin, although I'm not entirely sure why he was working for Walker, he had Walker listed as 'Dad' on his phone and Walker once called him 'Son,' so it could be that he was forced into it by Walker (who is now dead) if he actually was Kevin's Dad.

3) The girl who was drugged is Maxine, Mitzeee's sister. He was drugging her because he had been ordered to kill her by Walker, as she had found out something about Walker which he didn't want her to know. Kevin didn't want to kill her because he loves her, so he was drugging her and hiding her instead.

4) Carl is Mitzeee's Uncle (not first Uncle though), former lover and also the Father of the 'love of mitzeee's life,' Riley, who was also her third cousin, before he got shot and killed.

Sorry I can't answer any of your other questions, I don't watch HO Later and ever since I started watching the show, Doug has been gay amd Ste has been annoying and whiney :)

^^ Nice one :)
    I have been watching recently so I know things like Walker is dead and I have watched in the past so I know the connection between Carl and Mitzeee but thanks anyway :D

So we don't know the plank's motives for working with Walker or if he was his son then?

Oh, I must have missed that the drugged girl was Mitzeee's sister.... Why bother bringing her in though when Mitzeee has left?! :confused:

BIB: Who got shot and killed? Riley?
    Forum Member
    ^^ Nice one :)
    I have been watching recently so I know things like Walker is dead and I have watched in the past so I know the connection between Carl and Mitzeee but thanks anyway :D

So we don't know the plank's motives for working with Walker or if he was his son then?

Oh, I must have missed that the drugged girl was Mitzeee's sister.... Why bother bringing her in though when Mitzeee has left?! :confused:

BIB: Who got shot and killed? Riley?

Haha, no, we're still not quite sure of the planks motives for working with Walker, unless I've missed something :)

They brought Maxine (the drugged girl) in just before Mitzeee left, they made a great comedy pairing :D

And yeah, Riley got shot and killed. (I think the bullet was aimed at someone else, but hit Riley instead)
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant post. Agree with almost all of it on BB's exit being an anti-climax. Some answers:
    1) Yes, she forgave him because he saved them all from Walker (the first time), then agreed to have counselling, then went to a priest instead. And because she's a fickle inconsistent cow.
    5) Since the storyliners decided Ste needed a new boyf and didn't want to bring in anyone new. March/April last year?
    6) Since exactly the same time. Except I actually still like Ste, in spite of the show's best efforts sometimes.

^^ Thanks for the answers :)

BIB: Cheers. I heard he was leaving and there was all this talk about it being "explosive" etc but in reality I think it was a let down and very anti-climatic. Like I said I've only been watching again since Jan 2013 (last time I saw an episode was late 2011) and in that time we had weeks of that Walker dude making threats but not following through on them until this week where it was over in one episode and a five minute fight scene.

I just found the whole Walker element clichéd and repetitive - pretty much every soap has done the revenge storyline with someone hiding out in an abandoned building, making threats, having car chases, fights and guns etc, but there are few soaps that have done an abuse storyline like that.

The actor that was playing Brendan's dad also seemed very good (in a creepy and horrible way) but he seemed to be wasted on a gambling storyline with Darren rather than sharing screen time with Brendan and Cheryl. That final scene of his when he was beating Brendan showed how much potential that aspect of the plot had, not to mention the talent both the actor playing the father and Emmett have - shame it was underused. I could go on but me wrists are knackered from typing :D

1) So basically they just made Cheryl forgive Brendan and forget about what he had done to suit the story and their relationship? Hmmm.... :rolleyes:

5) He was paired up with Ste?! Good god. I used to like Douglas but since I've been watching again he's all desperate and camp (not that have anything wrong with the latter) and pining after John-Paul. I guess this was a case of the writers changing a character to suit the storyline then because last time I saw Oaks properly Douglas was depressed over the death of that girl he liked at the hands of Silas and he was having a 'It's A Wonderful Life' moment. I guess a lot can happen in a year though :D

6) The dude playing Ste can be a good actor and I didn't even mind his "breakdown" and tears towards Brendan in the hospital scene (despite the exit being an anti-climax) but in the standard scenes when he is being lovey-dovey/drippy and whiney I just can't stand it. While I like character progression, I still cannot believe this whiney dude is the same guy that used to beat up Amy, get into trouble at school and with the police and dress like a chav! I've got nothing wrong with him being gay, but it seems they have turned him into a soft, whiney, drippy guy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, no, we're still not quite sure of the planks motives for working with Walker, unless I've missed something :)

They brought Maxine (the drugged girl) in just before Mitzeee left, they made a great comedy pairing :D

And yeah, Riley got shot and killed. (I think the bullet was aimed at someone else, but hit Riley instead)
    :)

^^ Is the plank even still in the show now that Walker is train paint and Brendan is doing porridge? I can't see any point to the character really and I've stayed in log cabins with more acting talent than the actor playing him.

Yeah I saw a few episodes with that drugged girl - Maxine? - and Mitzeee (in fact I did think she was Mitzeee to start with until I saw them together) but I don't see the point of bringing in a clone of Mitzeee or even bringing her sister in at all when Mitzeee herself has left town.

Riley's dead?! Wow the death toll in Oaks atm must be huge (someone told me they killed Lynsey off last year too :() Who shot him, or rather whose bullet accidently hit him? :D

Can you tell me why Carl and Mitzeee were SO bothered by Walker before they left? Is that connected to Riley?
  • Everlong GirlEverlong Girl Posts: 1,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it strange that in the future when I remember the epic exit's from HO that Brendan's wont be one I remember as being epic, whereas Walker's will.

Yeah Brendan's may have been more emotionally charged and the build-up was good, but the end result of him just being thrown in prison just doesn't beat being hit by a train in terms of memorable exits.

I know that I remember character's exits better if they died, than if they leave any other way.
  • Everlong GirlEverlong Girl Posts: 1,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Is the plank even still in the show now that Walker is train paint and Brendan is doing porridge? I can't see any point to the character really and I've stayed in log cabins with more acting talent than the actor playing him.

Yeah I saw a few episodes with that drugged girl - Maxine? - and Mitzeee (in fact I did think she was Mitzeee to start with until I saw them together) but I don't see the point of bringing in a clone of Mitzeee or even bringing her sister in at all when Mitzeee herself has left town.

Riley's dead?! Wow the death toll in Oaks atm must be huge (someone told me they killed Lynsey off last year too :() Who shot him, or rather whose bullet accidently hit him? :D

Can you tell me why Carl and Mitzeee were SO bothered by Walker before they left? Is that connected to Riley?

Apparently Kevin will be back in the future.

They obviously thought they'd try and recreate some of the Mitzeee magic with Maxine.

Yep, Riley was killed by a stray bullet fire from Walker's gun when he and Brendan were having a fight, after Brendan found Walker pointing the gun at Ste = Carl and Mitzeee hold Walker responsible for Riley's death.
    Forum Member

Yep, the death toll is seemingly larger than that of Midsummer, and if I remember rightly, it was Waker's bullet which accidentally hit him (he was trying to shoot someone else but the bullet went through the railings and hit Riley who happened to be walking past at the time.) Obviously this made for a very upset and angry Carl and Mitzeee, as they had lost their Son, and Cousin/Boyfriend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it strange that in the future when I remember the epic exit's from HO that Brendan's wont be one I remember as being epic, whereas Walker's will.

Yeah Brendan's may have been more emotionally charged and the build-up was good, but the end result of him just being thrown in prison just doesn't beat being hit by a train in terms of memorable exits.

I know that I remember character's exits better if they died, than if they leave any other way.

Whilst I don't necessarily think Brendan should have died, I agree with this, his exit was just not memorable. The build-up was but it all fell by the wayside. Walker redecorating that train was much more memorable and he just seemed to be a part of Brendan's story rather than being a main character in his own right.
    Apparently Kevin will be back in the future.

They obviously thought they'd try and recreate some of the Mitzeee magic with Maxine.

Yep, Riley was killed by a stray bullet fire from Walker's gun when he and Brendan were having a fight, after Brendan found Walker pointing the gun at Ste = Carl and Mitzeee hold Walker responsible for Riley's death.
    Yep, the death toll is seemingly larger than that of Midsummer, and if I remember rightly, it was Waker's bullet which accidentally hit him (he was trying to shoot someone else but the bullet went through the railings and hit Riley who happened to be walking past at the time.) Obviously this made for a very upset and angry Carl and Mitzeee, as they had lost their Son, and Cousin/Boyfriend.

^^ Cheers for the replies folks. Arh so that explains why Carl and Mitzeee were so concerned about Walker before they left! I assume people saw Walker shoot Riley then if they knew? Is that why they arrested Walker after the police came to the Brady flat last week or was he wanted for something else as well? (obviously he would have been arrested for corruption whether they knew he shot Riley or not)

And oh good, Kevin the plank will be back ;):D I'll look forward to that.....
    Forum Member
    Whilst I don't necessarily think Brendan should have died, I agree with this, his exit was just not memorable. The build-up was but it all fell by the wayside. Walker redecorating that train was much more memorable and he just seemed to be a part of Brendan's story rather than being a main character in his own right.

^^ Cheers for the replies folks. Arh so that explains why Carl and Mitzeee were so concerned about Walker before they left! I assume people saw Walker shoot Riley then if they knew? Is that why they arrested Walker after the police came to the Brady flat last week or was he wanted for something else as well? (obviously he would have been arrested for corruption whether they knew he shot Riley or not)

Yeah, but i think he was wanted for a whole bunch of other things as well....and yeah, there were witnesses, (the guy who Walker intended to kill, for one!) so Mitzeee and Carl found out through word of mouth :)
  • Auds77Auds77 Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I quite like Kevin, I must be in the minority. I'd like to find out how he got dragged into working for Walker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Characters shouldn't have to die for you to remember them. Brendan was a sensational character and if you can't remember him and his exit for purely that reason alone then you must be cuckoo! :p
  • Ellie_DollieEllie_Dollie Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Brendan's exit would have been memorable if they had left it that he had died while on the balcony scenes with the police shooting him but for some strange reason they decided to leave him to rot in prison.
    I think that is so cruel and dismissive of all the Brendan/Stendan fans but a lot of people seem to think it's been left like that so that Emmett can eventually come back for Kieron's exit... if that ever happens.
    I think it was an awful, cruel ending after everything Brendan had been through in his life, they made the point last year that he was going to change, which he did. Then they end up having him left in prison for life.

As for Kevin, he knew Walker when he had been living on the streets. This was after Walker had shot Riley and was a 'wanted man'.
    Apparently yes he is coming back... can't wait :yawn:
    He is a nasty little shit who would do anything for money, like pretend to a person that he knew had been sexually abused as child (Brendan) that the same had happened to him just so that Walker could have his revenge on Brendan for killing his brother (supposedly with drugs that he'd sold him, which to be honest could have come from anyone).
    Not only that he accused Brendan of sexually assaulting him which went to court and was still going to trial but I guess that doesn't matter now, unless they will add that to the five murders that Brendan admitted to.
    What an awful way to end such a wonderful, fascinating character that Brendan is.
    Always a legend and didn't deserve that exit and will be desperately missed :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) I think Cheryl warmed up to Brendan again after Lynsey's death, she needed him I suppose
    2) Kevin was in no way Walker's son, the actor who plays him clarified that in an interview also adding that he and Neil Newbon (who played Walker) made up their backstory, basically Kevin was a little criminal that needed protection and Walker gave that to him, but in return wanted Kevin to work for him. The show should have explained their connection better because as it was onscren didn't make much sense
    3) It was Maxine, Mitzeee's sister. Walker ordered Kevin to kill her because she found out he was back in the village
    4) Mitzeee was in love with Riley (her second cousin) and Carl is Riley's father. I'll spare you the story of Riley who wanted Mitzee, then Lynsey, then Mercy and then Mitzee again, anyway Riley was shot by Walker by accident while Brendan was fighting with him to save Ste (who was originally Walker's target). Carl wanted revenge.
    5) They decided Ste needed to have another relationship apparently to become more independent:rolleyes: Worst sl of the year
    6) I have no idea about this one:p
  • digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auds77 wrote: »
    I quite like Kevin, I must be in the minority. I'd like to find out how he got dragged into working for Walker.

I quite like Kevin too. He's not my favourite but I think the actor is quite talented and it'll be interesting to see how the character develops in the future.
  • Little LeighLittle Leigh Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me!! I thought they could have focused purely on that for his exit. They could have done something Shane Meadows-esque (well, as much as they could pre-watershed). They could even have done the whole Walker revenge with trains bit a few months earlier (minus dragging it all out with Kevin and the lurking around the village and graveyard wearing a hoodie nonsense!) and delayed the sending of the disk until nearer the end. I think it would have worked better if Cheryl had stayed together with Nate after Later and found out she was pregnant, or if Brendan had found out that Seamus had tried something with Declan. There are a million ways it could have been done over a longer period of time.
  • PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the show ever intended to deal with the abuse properly. It just ended up being a plot device in order to bring Brendan down. A bit shameful imo, using his childhood abuse to bring about his "comeuppance".
  • fenpeperfenpeper Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    I think ES may have planned to deal with it properly, but never got the chance. x
This discussion has been closed.