Labour's Ethnic Minority Vote Set To Collapse

CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
Forum Member
I think 'collapse' is a bit strong but this must certainly trouble Labour.

I've never quite understood why Indians allied themselves to Labour. They're entrepreneurial, hard working and don't strike me as being fans of big government.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11294984/Labours-crucial-ethnic-minority-vote-set-to-collapse.html

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's because many of them realised exactly why they don't eat bacon.
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or that the progression from welfare layabout to aspirational worker equates to a shift from Labour to Conservative.
  • crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30% white by 2050! That's more worrying!
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    crystallad wrote: »

I think you've misread the paragraph - still quite a jump though.
    According to recent research one in three people in Britain will be from an ethnic minority within a generation with non-white people will making up between 20 and 30 per cent of the population by 2050. The current share is around 14 per cent.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly the rise of UKIP as the party overtly doing their best to benefit from the racists' vote, so replacing the Conservatives in that regard, will mean that a few ethnic minority group members will perhaps think that maybe they can vote Conservative.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour are pretty interesting. Christmas eve, the season of goodwill to all men and they post a letter through your door about how they are restricting benefits to immigrants and deporting illegals.

Classy.

Merry Christmas labour.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think Labour's ethnic vote is going to collapse. They don't say that they aren't going to vote Labour, rather that they don't 'identify' with Labour - whatever that means.

People generally are increasingly ceasing to identify with established political parties. It's not an ethnic specific issue.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Don't think Labour's ethnic vote is going to collapse. They don't say that they aren't going to vote Labour, rather that they don't 'identify' with Labour - whatever that means.

People generally are increasingly ceasing to identify with established political parties. It's not an ethnic specific issue.

This.

It would be interesting to see a comparative of what might be called 'traditional Labour voters'. Because I suspect the collapse in 'identifying' with Labour might be even more marked.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you place people into social groups and poll them as to their "alignment" I think you will find that every social group has moved away from Labour.

But Labour is able to win people back, they might need a better leader than Ed Miliband though.

However I don't see the Conservatives winning a General Election for decades. So Labour being heckled by conservative support is ironic.

The Conservatives are complete poison electorally.
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    I don't see the Conservatives winning a General Election for decades. So Labour being heckled by conservative support is ironic.

The Tories need to return to the ethic that working hard pays. David Cameron, for all his rhetoric, is not the leader to do this. He's a conniving and dishonest politician who veers towards being a Social Democrat in the mould of Tony Blair.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    The Tories need to return to the ethic that working hard pays.
    I didn't think they'd ever abandoned that ethic? Though in the strictly financial sense, hard work doesn't always pay!
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour are pretty interesting. Christmas eve, the season of goodwill to all men and they post a letter through your door about how they are restricting benefits to immigrants and deporting illegals.

Classy.

Merry Christmas labour.

Surely you agree, though?
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    crystallad wrote: »

Not so bad if these ethnic minorities consider them to be English. Extremely worrying if they are like the residents of the tower hamlets.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Strange then that Parties espousing Tory policies are the only ones winning elections for the past 40 years..:D
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Strange then that Parties espousing Tory policies are the only ones winning elections for the past 40 years..:D

No more of that though, it's done.

Hence why the Conservatives are making no headway, and their promise of "more to come" went down so badly.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No more of that though, it's done.

Hence why the Conservatives are making no headway, and their promise of "more to come" went down so badly.

Your kidding yourself if you think that Labour are suddenly going to start offering different policies.
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If that was the case, then they shouldn't be around the mid 30's in the polls, they should be plummeting around 10% in the polls.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,856
    Forum Member
    Both Tory and Labour have outrageously changed and restricted immigration into the UK from former "new commonwealth" countries like that from the Indian sub continent but it is the Tories that have stopped the husbands and wifes of British citizens with heritage to India coming into the country by putting in earning requirements of £18, 600 or more if they already have children.

If the Tories win the next election outright, they are bound to put up those earning amounts anywhere between 25 thousand a year to 40 thousand. Apparently Theresa May wanted to put in a requirment of 40 thousand, that was the very highest figure recommended by the Migration Advisory Committee and the lowest was around 13 thousand four hundred and Nick Clegg settled on the 18, 600 figure. Tory back benchers have been pushing for the figure to be much higher though, are they going to tell ethnic minorites this when they knock on their door for asking for their votes I wonder? roll eyes!

With all the above considered, it is Labour who ethnic minorities should consider voting for out of the main stream parties BUT if there are good alternatives like good independents, the SNP, Plaid Cymru and the Green's who also oppose the Tories on this, then maybe vote for them, but people need to realise that it will only be either the Tories or labour who will be the next main party in Government.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Not so bad if these ethnic minorities consider them to be English. Extremely worrying if they are like the residents of the tower hamlets.

Why are residents of Tower Hamlets more worrying than those in other towns?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Why are residents of Tower Hamlets more worrying than those in other towns?

I think it might have a high number of UKIP members there.
  • DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was Ed, the best course would be to concentrate on the majority.......Ignore them at your peril......A high turn out will always snuff out any advantage of having the minority's on your side.
  • DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Both Tory and Labour have outrageously changed and restricted immigration into the UK from former "new commonwealth" countries like that from the Indian sub continent but it is the Tories that have stopped the husbands and wifes of British citizens with heritage to India coming into the country by putting in earning requirements of £18, 600 or more if they already

If the Tories win the next election outright, they are bound to put up those earning amounts anywhere between 25 thousand a year to 40 thousand. Apparently Theresa May wanted to put in a requirment of 40 thousand, that was the very highest figure recommended by the Migration Advisory Committee and the lowest was around 13 thousand four hundred and Nick Clegg settled on the 18, 600 figure. Tory back benchers have been pushing for the figure to be much higher though, are they going to tell ethnic minorites this when they knock on their door for asking for their votes I wonder? roll eyes!

With all the above considered, it is Labour who ethnic minorities should consider voting for out of the main stream parties BUT if there are good alternatives like good independents, the SNP, Plaid Cymru and the Green's who also oppose the Tories on this, then maybe vote for them, but people need to realise that it will only be either the Tories or labour who will be the next main party in Government.

Like it or not this is going to be one poison chalice for the next government, you think Labour will favour the immigrant?.... Chance loosing their core vote for the minority vote, I don't. Immigration is going to be one hot potato for years to come......
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    I don't see the Conservatives winning a General Election for decades. So Labour being heckled by conservative support is ironic.

The Tories need to return to the ethic that working hard pays. David Cameron, for all his rhetoric, is not the leader to do this. He's a conniving and dishonest politician who veers towards being a Social Democrat in the mould of Tony Blair.
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »
    I think 'collapse' is a bit strong but this must certainly trouble Labour.

I've never quite understood why Indians allied themselves to Labour. They're entrepreneurial, hard working and don't strike me as being fans of big government.

They disproportionately work for my council..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They disproportionately work for my council..
    By which I assume you mean they spend more time working for the council than doing anything else.
    Unless of course English isn't your first language ;-)