Charity shop staff taking the best items

124»

Comments

• anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My neighbour is polish, every 2 weeks he takes his car full of bagged clothes back to poland
    The clothes are he states in very good condition, when he reaches krakow all the clothing are sorted and sold in the local market. He tells everyone, that in poland it is very hard to buy new clothes, all clothes on sale are second hand..
    He also tells me that all the best clothes donatec to charity shops and via clothes banks go directly to poland, then the rags or lesser good ones get shipped on to romania. And then to Africa who are the least fussy of people..
    Is he right? Or is he telling fibs..

He's telling fibs. Where does he get a car load of clothes from? I've stopped putting charity bags on the doorstep because of them being nicked and they empty clothes banks.
    The only charity shop I helped in for any length of time, some of them did take what they fancied but paid whatever the price would have been in the shop or so they said.
  • karen_charnockkaren_charnock Posts: 1,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother
    I think charity shop chains such as Age UK have strict protocols. That's a bit useless, though, if dodgy staff are in charge. It's probably rarer than what we think.

My brother is a manager of an age uk shop in Bristol and I know they are very strict about taking things for free
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suj
    anne_666 wrote: »
    He's telling fibs. Where does he get a car load of clothes from? I've stopped putting charity bags on the doorstep because of them being nicked and they empty clothes banks.
    The only charity shop I helped in for any length of time, some of them did take what they fancied but paid whatever the price would have been in the shop or so they said.

As far as I know a lot of the clothes he takes are from his family and friends who donate every ,2 weeks. IMO I think he gets them dishonestly
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suj

As far as I know a lot of the clothes he takes are from his family and friends who donate every ,2 weeks. IMO I think he gets them dishonestly

Mmm or he has a large surplus of family and friends.
    It makes me sick when charities have to give up on doorstep collections because of thieving sods and not everyone can drop off their donations directly. I don't use our local clothing banks now for the same reason.
  • AshendenAshenden Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    It makes me sick when charities have to give up on doorstep collections because of thieving sods and not everyone can drop off their donations directly. I don't use our local clothing banks now for the same reason.

Sometimes karma strikes !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3044727/Charity-shop-thief-arrested-getting-trapped-hour-inside-clothing-bin-allegedly-stealing-from.html
  • WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    What about the people at recycling centers? I dropped off a bag of clothes to go into the recycling, and the generous staff member who helped me move it from my car, took it into a cabin - as I drove past he was going through them.

No issue at all from me if he wants to make a bit of cash off them - we've just moved so a massive clear out and they were things that were pretty scrappy, but is that against the rules? Surely a perk of the job?
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was furious with my daughter when she took a black sack-full of footwear to the drop-off point in a car park.
    There were unworn Docs, branded trainers and other unworn shoes, trainers, stilletoes etc.
    I had asked her to drop them off at a charity shop where they would have sold and raised some money.
    I've since told her that she will never be asked again and the moral of the story is this.

If you want a job done properly..............do it youself.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    I was furious with my daughter when she took a black sack-full of footwear to the drop-off point in a car park.
    There were unworn Docs, branded trainers and other unworn shoes, trainers, stilletoes etc.
    I had asked her to drop them off at a charity shop where they would have sold and raised some money.
    I've since told her that she will never be asked again and the moral of the story is this.

If you want a job done properly..............do it youself.

Oh my, It was obviously the easier option:o
  • AshendenAshenden Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Weeksy wrote: »
    What about the people at recycling centers? I dropped off a bag of clothes to go into the recycling, and the generous staff member who helped me move it from my car, took it into a cabin - as I drove past he was going through them.

No issue at all from me if he wants to make a bit of cash off them - we've just moved so a massive clear out and they were things that were pretty scrappy, but is that against the rules? Surely a perk of the job?

I've been to the dump and another dumper has asked me if he could have the item - no problem there, it's what recycling is all about.
    Where I would have a problem (and I've heard of one case where this has happened) is where the staff have intervened in such a transaction, presumably where they've wanted the goods for their own purposes.