Doc Martin (Part 12 — Spoilers)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,496
Administrator
Must be their pat line. I got this today, at least they did respond but it took them like 2 months!

Thank you for contacting us. I sincerely apologize for the delayed response. We have received an overwhelming amount of emails over the past few months.

The Doc Martin Behind the Scenes segments are being posted on our website, you can view them at the link below:

http://www.kcet.org/video/#featured

Please note that the distributor and producing network hold the rights to the content. We are allowed to broadcast the full 8 minute segments on air but are being limited to two minutes streaming rights. We've made a request to the rights holders and have asked for full length streaming rights.

Until we receive confirmation of change in those rights, we must adhere to the two minute limit that's been imposed.

We are airing the 8 minute behind the scenes segments after the "Doc Martin" episodes on Thursday nights; they also air at the conclusion of "Rosemary & Thyme" which follows "Doc Martin".

I hope this information is helpful. Thank you for watching KCET!

Sincerely,

Priscilla Gallardo
KCET Communications Representative

This thread is a continuation of: Doc Martin (Part 11 — Spoilers)

Comments

• NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally -- part 12!

here's a couple of bits on Acorn Media. I will keep trying to figure out how they relate to DRG.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-20/acorn-media-beats-hollywood-by-streaming-drama-for-boomers

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/silver-spring-based-acorn-media-streams-british-tv-classics/2011/11/29/gIQAVUbVLO_story.html?tid=pm_pop

Is it possible that Acorn has the US rights; DRG the British/European?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably should let this subside, but I just reiterate that we weren't implying that Louisa was some kind of Hedy Lamarr/Veronica Lake figure (from my childhood, Google them) but at least my point was that she knew early on that he intrigued her, that she wanted to pursue getting to know him better, and that she was in fact the active one in getting the relationship going -- as she in fact recognized in S3E1 when she told him that their relationship was all up to her as he never did anything to help them move forward. Twice she initiated embraces... in the taxi and after the concert. So I think she knew she was attracted to him and knew also that whether or not he was in turn attracted to her, he wasn't going to be able to act on it. So it was in fact up to her to move them forward, or not. And in the first 3 series, she did so.

What is frustrating about this is how she then became so defensively belligerent in S4 and in S5 seemed to be so passive with respect to where their relationship was going. The Lousia of S1-S2-S3 would probably have pursued intimacy with him much more straightforwardly.

I know we have been over and over the reasons why they were so shy with each other, but they don't completely wash, and I have to put it down to changing her character somewhat in order to stretch out the story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay, part 12! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find simply red's post about Buffalo Picture's address.
    I think the search section doesn't work or it could be that I can't work it!
    I can't read the postcode for the Lyric Square address on ebay.
    I can't find an address on the web except for one at Golden house?? Is that current?

Can anyone help?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I can't find simply red's post about Buffalo Picture's address.
    I think the search section doesn't work or it could be that I can't work it!
    I can't read the postcode for the Lyric Square address on ebay.
    I can't find an address on the web except for one at Golden house?? Is that current?

Can anyone help?

This is what SR posted (from on the script):
    Buffalo Pictures Ltd, 1 Lyric Square, London, W6 0NB
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My understanding is that Acorn Media is the distributor in the US of the videos and streaming. American Public Television controls the rights to the broadcasts of the show in the US. If a public television station wants to air the show they pay APT for the rights to do that. Acorn media distrubutes the videos of a lot of the british shows that air on PBS. They are going to have a streaming service that will include DM among other shows. But they told me that they won't have the rights to stream it or release the s6 DVD until APT allows them to which will be after it airs in the US. I was told that APT was getting complaints from local PBS stations that the show was airing on YouTube. I am if the belief that it was APT who got the shows and vids yanked off YouTube. They are riding on the coat tails of the SOPA legislation that is before congress right now. In fact,
    They gave me pretty much the party line of the pro-SOPA people when they explained why they removed the videos. I corresponded with people from both organizations. APT is the bigger of the two and it has more control over the release of the content than Acorn Media.

I am also of the belief that reps from PBS stations, APT and possibly Acron Media are regularly trolling this forum to find out where we are seeing DM episodes. If you don't like the fan videos taken down, and you live in the US you should contact your congressman and ask them not to vote for SOPA. It's probably going to be watered down, but at this point it is pretty draconian in its wanting to limit Internet content. The fan vids could be considered free speech, IMO, and the govt would hold YouTube liable for the content. Which means that YouTube would limit content for fear of prosecution or law suits. It's convoluted, but basically it sucks and limits free speech and is very very advantageous to large media companies and very difficult for individuals and small companies to get their content seen on the internet. It was written by the MPAA who is trying to buy its way into getting the bill passed and it may do it. This bill is in mark up in the judiciary committee this week.

I could have some of this wrong, this info is what I have garnered from emails and articles. I think it is an American company removing the videos. If the British had been able or wanted to have them removed I think they would have done it already. Once it became content that is controlled by an American company for airing here, it fell within within the US laws.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Probably should let this subside, but I just reiterate that we weren't implying that Louisa was some kind of Hedy Lamarr/Veronica Lake figure (from my childhood, Google them) but at least my point was that she knew early on that he intrigued her, that she wanted to pursue getting to know him better, and that she was in fact the active one in getting the relationship going -- as she in fact recognized in S3E1 when she told him that their relationship was all up to her as he never did anything to help them move forward. Twice she initiated embraces... in the taxi and after the concert. So I think she knew she was attracted to him and knew also that whether or not he was in turn attracted to her, he wasn't going to be able to act on it. So it was in fact up to her to move them forward, or not. And in the first 3 series, she did so.

What is frustrating about this is how she then became so defensively belligerent in S4 and in S5 seemed to be so passive with respect to where their relationship was going. The Lousia of S1-S2-S3 would probably have pursued intimacy with him much more straightforwardly.

I know we have been over and over the reasons why they were so shy with each other, but they don't completely wash, and I have to put it down to changing her character somewhat in order to stretch out the story.
    I'm so glad I wasn't on the forum during series 4, because I loved series 4! It was so exciting with the pregnancy and BT! I never thought about M or L being mean to each other. I could always tell that they still cared about each other very much and knew or hoped they'd work it out in the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    I'm so glad I wasn't on the forum during series 4, because I loved series 4! It was so exciting with the pregnancy and BT! I never thought about M or L being mean to each other. I could always tell that they still cared about each other very much and knew or hoped they'd work it out in the end.

You could tell they cared about each other in series 4. I agree, although I think he treated her badly some of the time. In series 5 they are plugging along well until her mother comes along. He hated Eleanor from the beginning. And Louisa knew better than to trust her, but ending up falling for the traps that Eleanor set for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    My understanding is that Acorn Media is the distributor in the US of the videos and streaming. American Public Television controls the rights to the broadcasts of the show in the US. If a public television station wants to air the show they pay APT for the rights to do that. Acorn media distrubutes the videos of a lot of the british shows that air on PBS. They are going to have a streaming service that will include DM among other shows. But they told me that they won't have the rights to stream it or release the s6 DVD until APT allows them to which will be after it airs in the US. I was told that APT was getting complaints from local PBS stations that the show was airing on YouTube. I am if the belief that it was APT who got the shows and vids yanked off YouTube. They are riding on the coat tails of the SOPA legislation that is before congress right now. In fact,
    They gave me pretty much the party line of the pro-SOPA people when they explained why they removed the videos. I corresponded with people from both organizations. APT is the bigger of the two and it has more control over the release of the content than Acorn Media.

I am also of the belief that reps from PBS stations, APT and possibly Acron Media are regularly trolling this forum to find out where we are seeing DM episodes. If you don't like the fan videos taken down, and you live in the US you should contact your congressman and ask them not to vote for SOPA. It's probably going to be watered down, but at this point it is pretty draconian in its wanting to limit Internet content. The fan vids could be considered free speech, IMO, and the govt would hold YouTube liable for the content. Which means that YouTube would limit content for fear of prosecution or law suits. It's convoluted, but basically it sucks and limits free speech and is very very advantageous to large media companies and very difficult for individuals and small companies to get their content seen on the internet. It was written by the MPAA who is trying to buy its way into getting the bill passed and it may do it. This bill is in mark up in the judiciary committee this week.

I could have some of this wrong, this info is what I have garnered from emails and articles. I think it is an American company removing the videos. If the British had been able or wanted to have them removed I think they would have done it already. Once it became content that is controlled by an American company for airing here, it fell within within the US laws.

Thanks for posting all this. I agree, SOPA is really bad news. Amazing that a Congress that can't get anything else done can still find a way to get this taken care of. I have contacted my Congressman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ReneeBird, I actually like S4 a lot and agree with what you say. It was really masterfully crafted. They were both close to, but never actually, over the top, in their arguments with each other (well, unless you count DM screaming at her in E3 -- the one where he raced over to the cottage to find her not-fainting on the couch).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird, I actually like S4 a lot and agree with what you say. It was really masterfully crafted. They were both close to, but never actually, over the top, in their arguments with each other (well, unless you count DM screaming at her in E3 -- the one where he raced over to the cottage to find her not-fainting on the couch).
    Yes, he was so angry about not being allowed to be a part of Louisa's pregnancy! And, torn about his decision about London. And, BT in the picture too! Louisa did go a little over the top when she was in the birthing pool. Wasn't that funny! But, she sure looked doubtful about it afterwards!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not panic over SOPA. Having read a long article pro and con I think this thing is dead before it got launched. It probably is far too broad to be either enforceable or passable. Don't Panic!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Let's not panic over SOPA. Having read a long article pro and con I think this thing is dead before it got launched. It probably is far too broad to be either enforceable or passable. Don't Panic!

You are probably right. But we should speak up so they know we are paying attention for the next time. Why do you think they removed the fan videos? Did they really have the right to do that? This whole episode with Doc Martin being removed from Youtube has been really crushing for me. I think it was mean spirited to remove the fan videos. This show is going to be a cash cow for decades for them. Removing the fan created videos was unnecessary and greedy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he was so angry about not being allowed to be a part of Louisa's pregnancy! And, torn about his decision about London. And, BT in the picture too! Louisa did go a little over the top when she was in the birthing pool. Wasn't that funny! But, she sure looked doubtful about it afterwards!

I lover her in that episode, and he is so sweet to her after she tells the midwife to go. But they did bicker a lot in that series. I also like it when he sees that she has the right shoes on the second time he meets her outside Theo Wenn's house. That scene is nice.

Do you think that he held back so much this series because he was really afraid of the type of father he would turn out to be? He was toting that baby everywhere he went practically. He softened a lot, really. He got in his car in his pajamas and fell asleep by the side of the road. Also, he answered the door in his pajamas when Penhale knocked. Who would have seen that coming in series 4?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member

I agree that series 4 was very good. The interactions between DM and LG were affected greatly by Edith's presence at the surgery when LG showed up pregnant. LG reacted defensively by telling DM "don't worry, it's not your problem." She didn't really mean this, of course. DM compounded the situation by misinterpreting her remark to mean that "she doesn't want me involved with the child" (as he later told AJ). For her part, LG was never quite sure about DM's real interest in Edith.

These misunderstandings (created by the writers) influenced many of the subsequent interactions between DM and LG in Series 4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I was told that APT was getting complaints from local PBS stations that the show was airing on YouTube. I am of the belief that it was APT who got the shows and vids yanked off YouTube.

When the shows started airing on the local PBS station, they followed up the shows with a fund raising drive. The staff who were asking for donations from viewers mentioned that Doc Martin had been "very expensive" to acquire from ITV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    portwenner wrote: »
    When the shows started airing on the local PBS station, they followed up the shows with a fund raising drive. The staff who were asking for donations from viewers mentioned that Doc Martin had been "very expensive" to acquire from ITV.

I heard that, too, at our fundraising. I just wish they had not taken the fan videos off of Youtube.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that series 4 was very good. The interactions between DM and LG were affected greatly by Edith's presence at the surgery when LG showed up pregnant. LG reacted defensively by telling DM "don't worry, it's not your problem." She didn't really mean this, of course. DM compounded the situation by misinterpreting her remark to mean that "she doesn't want me involved with the child" (as he later told AJ). For her part, LG was never quite sure about DM's real interest in Edith.

These misunderstandings (created by the writers) influenced many of the subsequent interactions between DM and LG in Series 4.

Yes I agree that the genesis of their problems seemed to be in that first few minutes of dialogue in E2, but I do also think that DM's ambivalence about whether he wanted to be/could be a father contributed to his misunderstanding of her at this point.

And following up the earlier discussion, after she asked him "who's that" and he responded "Edith" the earlier version of LG might have pressed the father of her child just a bit further, as to why she was in his kitchen etc. But then we wouldn't have had the fun of the rest of the series...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think one thing that would help is if they released these shows simultaneously in different countries. I know they must be convinced that they make more money if they don't, but I wonder if that's really the case and why they don't consider this more seriously.

We are fast approaching the time when these country boundaries don't make much sense WRT to global digital transmissions, at least.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »

Another reason not to panic, beyond the sheer ineptitude of our lawmakers, is that individual creativity and innovation is far too powerful a force to be thwarted by corporatism -- some more anarchic version of YouTube will rise, etc., etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I particularly love that ep because of the opening sequence with DM running through the streets to get to her and it is nothing! :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been in touch with Tilly and she has asked that I ask you all for suggestions on how to sell the stuff on ebay.

I suggested she sell each item separately.
    I thought a starting price of 50 - 75 GBP each for suit and script.
    I thought no minimum price for the signed photo and book.

I also thought it would be a good idea to expand the description of each item and head it Doc Martin - original script signed by Martin Clunes from series ? episode number?

Thought it would be good to describe the condition say it is a one and only. Say which eps the suit was worn. Write the exact wording on the things he signed in the description.

What do you think? Does anyone know which eps the suit was worn in?

If anyone in Port Isaccs wants to help her I have her phone number I can send on via pm.

The baby is just out of hospital and she's too busy to come on here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been in touch with Tilly and she has asked that I ask you all for suggestions on how to sell the stuff on ebay.

I also thought it would be a good idea to expand the description of each item and head it Doc Martin - original script signed by Martin Clunes from series ? episode number?

Thought it would be good to describe the condition say it is a one and only. Say which eps the suit was worn. Write the exact wording on the things he signed in the description.

If anyone in Port Isaccs wants to help her I have her phone number I can send on via pm.

My only quibble with this is that I think she should set the starting price for the script higher -- I think it was up to 164 GBP when she pulled it?

I am so glad someone is helping her -- I really feel bad that she is not using EBAY effectively to help her raise money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that's all good but I agree with New Park, she could start the script off at £100.
    I'm not sure it matters which episode the suit was worn in and can we be sure anyway? Doesn't he have 2 or 3 suits that are exactly the same?
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vamping (continued) It's not so much vamping but recalling back to Series 1 and going forward, I would describe it as "eye sex"!! Louisa got better at that as the episodes unfolded, but DM was ahead of her.
This discussion has been closed.