Dial tone when ringing mobile abroad

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, if you take a british mobile abroad and someone rings it they will hear a beeeeeep *pause* beeeeeeep... and the same if they ring England.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cherry84 wrote: »
    Yeah, if you take a british mobile abroad and someone rings it they will hear a beeeeeep *pause* beeeeeeep...

The tone they would hear would depend on the country you've gone to.. it wouldn't necessarily sound like that.
    and the same if they ring England.

If you mean the person abroad would hear a different tone when calling back to the UK, no, they wouldn't - they'd hear the normal UK ringing tone.
  • chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, if you take a british mobile abroad and someone rings it they will hear a beeeeeep *pause* beeeeeeep... and the same if they ring England.

Huh...?
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »
    If you mean the person abroad would hear a different tone when calling back to the UK, no, they wouldn't - they'd hear the normal UK ringing tone.

when i phoned my mums mobile from mine last month in portugal the ringtone was different,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huh...?

Welllll, when I take my phone abroad... and someone rings it, they dont hear the usual ring tone they would if the phone was in England. It beeps. The same if I'm abroad and I ring someones mobile who is in England. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »

You're wrong, whenever I've been abroad and Ive rang someones mobile I've heard the foreign ring tone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm talking about mobiles... landlines ring the same when phoning from abroad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    The tone you're all talking about is called the Ringback Tone, and it's generated by the final exchange. So yes it would generally indicate if a mobile was in the UK or abroad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringback_tone

However as all modern telephony equipment is capable of producing all the different ringback tones, you can't escape the possibility that the final exchange is configured with the wrong ringback tone for that region; unlikely but possible. You've also got to consider there may be some sort of forwarding service which could mean the ringback tone is being generated somewhere short of the final exchange.

The ringback tone is therefore reliable, but couldn't be used as absolute proof.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very weird... new poster necro'ing a five year old thread..
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holy revived thread Batman!
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Very weird... new poster necro'ing a five year old thread..

No. A nearly 8 year member making a first post.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. A nearly 8 year member making a first post.

Sleeper account then... oh well, wonder who's just copped a ban?
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Sleeper account then... oh well, wonder who's just copped a ban?

Sleeping for about 8 years is a very long sleep.

Maybe "guessing" a password.
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well OP? Did the bloke ever get back to the UK? Don't leave us hanging! It's been five years now!