Options

Car Insurance Renewal Query - Claims

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Like a lot of people, I am concerned that my car insurance is going to shoot up in the new year due to the EU Gender Directive.

As it comes into force in December, and my insurance is due in January, I have been looking at websites such as Direct Line who can quote 90 days in advance to try to ensure I retain a lower premium next year.

My query is this - Direct Line ask if I have made any claims in the last 3 years, does this mean 3 years from the policy start date in January or 3 years back from now?

The reason I ask is that I made a claim in Dec 09 and I'm not sure whether it should be included as by January it will be over 3 years ago...

Comments

• Options
    SealegSealeg Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    I would imagine you would have to tell them about the claim, it might affect the insurance quote price, ands as you're getting the quote before December I think you'd have to be honest. Any excuse for an insurance firm to not pay out and they'll find it!

Also, I would assume they've taken the new directive into account, so if you're getting a quote to start in January they'll have thought of that also.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie82 wrote: »
    Like a lot of people, I am concerned that my car insurance is going to shoot up in the new year due to the EU Gender Directive.

As it comes into force in December, and my insurance is due in January, I have been looking at websites such as Direct Line who can quote 90 days in advance to try to ensure I retain a lower premium next year.

My query is this - Direct Line ask if I have made any claims in the last 3 years, does this mean 3 years from the policy start date in January or 3 years back from now?

The reason I ask is that I made a claim in Dec 09 and I'm not sure whether it should be included as by January it will be over 3 years ago...

Personally, I'd include it. If it's not relevant, the insurance company won't take it into account when giving you a quote. In my experience, unless said claim was for an accident that was entirely your fault, one accident doesn't generally affect your premium much anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice - I definitely don't want my insurance invalidated.

Unfortunately it was a one car accident so only me to blame!

Having just done a quote with Aviva however, the claim doesn't make that much difference to my premium so I'm happy to include it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I'm boycotting Direct Line from now on, they're moving their work offshore to India and laying off around 100 UK staff members. Vote with your wallets people!