Options

Falling ill during annual leave

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't you lose the first 3 days of pay anyway if you tell them you were sick... Even though you may gain back some annual leave?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Ellie82 wrote: »
    Wouldn't you lose the first 3 days of pay anyway if you tell them you were sick... Even though you may gain back some annual leave?

Why ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because most companies don't pay you for your first 3 days of sickness absence
  • Options
    FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most or some?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member

In my 25 years of employment across 7 companies I have never heard of that at all, and never been not paid for any sick days.

But then again I am on a salary, could be different for hourly paid staff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, some.

I worked for a large multinational supermarket for many years and it was standard practise there. It is also standard at the small office in which I now work so I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that it was standard elsewhere.

That was as hourly paid and salaried within the supermarket and salaried in the office.

ETA - Statutory Sick Pay is only payable after more than three days of sickness perhaps this is why the companies I worked for did not pay for those 3 days.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard about this 3 day rule being adopted by companies who have a problem with sickness absence. It sort of puts people off who are thinking of pulling regular short term sick days, hang overs etc. I believe that on receipt of a 'fit note' if you are off longer than a week or so, they will pay the first three days!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I've never heard of that one before but perhaps it comes from the rules for SSP:

https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay-ssp/overview

Seems like only a very short sighted employer would do that though. It means no-one will take time off for a cold so they'll come into work and infect the rest of the staff and possibly customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Have to say I've never heard of that one before but perhaps it comes from the rules for SSP:

https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay-ssp/overview

Seems like only a very short sighted employer would do that though. It means no-one will take time off for a cold so they'll come into work and infect the rest of the staff and possibly customers.

True, but in my experience, large supermarkets who have absence issues don't really care about that.

I've juist had a quick google because I thought I was maybe going mad, but it does seem fairly common that employers don't pay those 3 days.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    ...come into work and infect the rest of the staff and possibly customers.

In my youth when I was a bit (ahem) lax with my attendance, I used this and their response was 'thats our responsibility not yours, your responsibility is to be at work'!

LOL ah well, at the least the overtime would go up during an epidemic! :D
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget that your employer may have an acceptable level of sick before you go into verbal or written warnings. I know some people who know exactly how many days off sick they have had and you know when they will be off again. Personally I have no idea about my sick day total, if I was sick when I was on leave I would be thinking thank goodness not trying to change it to sick leave
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Don't forget that your employer may have an acceptable level of sick before you go into verbal or written warnings. I know some people who know exactly how many days off sick they have had and you know when they will be off again. Personally I have no idea about my sick day total, if I was sick when I was on leave I would be thinking thank goodness not trying to change it to sick leave

Ah, I'm one of those people who knows exactly how many sick days I've had.... 0! :D
  • Options
    quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the general rule is that if you produce a sick note you can claim it back. If not it is not so easy.

It can't harm to ask.

Personally I have been proper ill on holiday many times - I seem to suffer from illness when "released from stress" if you know what I mean.

I went a whole year once where every single time I wasn't at work I was ill - it makes you feel really really bad - holidays are important and if somebody has a two week leave and they get something really nasty through it like proper flu then you will have "missed out" on your R&R... so I agree it should be given back with a doctor's note.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jojo01 wrote: »
    Ah, I'm one of those people who knows exactly how many sick days I've had.... 0! :D

Me too....

2 days in three and a half years.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member

I've always been paid for all sick leave at numerous companies.