Options

What else is "unusual" about the USA and Americans?

Comments

• Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's nice. At least I'm not so stupid as to go and pay to watch a sport I think is the most boring game on earth. :)

There was certainly nothing boring about this game! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63YWIMvD5qo&feature=youtu.be&t=10m56s I still get weepy just thinking about it. :D

Hope you all are still taking care of our Ichiro, BB!
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I
    So if driving say from east to west coast, do you need to apply for a licence in each State or does your New York (for examples sake) licence cover you through all States en rout to the West coast?

Didn't you say looked into driving an RV across the U.S?

No way do I believe that's a serious question.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not 'baiting' at all.....not my style even though you appear to think so. It's a genuine question.

What we call Driving licence it seems you call State licence....is that correct or not?

If so the next thing i want to know is does that restrict the holder to driving only within that State.....or what?

Genuine question!!!

Thank you........thats what i was after and only just spotted your post!

So if driving say from east to west coast, do you need to apply for a licence in each State or does your New York (for examples sake) licence cover you through all States en rout to the West coast?

Nope. Licence issued in one state is good in all of them. UNLESS you decide to move from one state to another. Then it gets a little more complicated.

Some but not all ajoining states have reciprocal agreements. Present your old licence and new proof of address, the DMV shoots a new photo and off you go. Other states make all new drivers take a written test.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, don't believe you.
    Your problem.....not mine.
    That said, I didn't say we call them state licenses. They're Drivers Licenses. I said they aren't US licenses, they're state licenses. That's because they're issued by each state as another poster has already told you which is why I don't think you are genuinely interested at all.
    ok.....
    As to your last point, you have a UK license, does that mean you can't drive elsewhere in the EU? No, it doesn't......
    Partly correct.

Switzerland is not an EU country but the UK Driving Licence is accepted and we are ok to drive there without any issues at all.

However other non EU countries such as Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Ukraine etc.....we can drive there with a UK licence but you won't even get within sniffing distance of the borders if you don't have Green Card which is a 'third party' cover insurance. The driver licence itself is of no interest to the authorities in those countries whatsoever. Green Card is.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ok.....

Partly correct.

Switzerland is not an EU country but the UK Driving Licence is accepted and we are ok to drive there without any issues at all.

However other non EU countries such as Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Ukraine etc.....you can drive there with a UK licence but won't even get within sniffing distance of the borders if you don't have Green Card which is a 'third party' cover insurance. The driver licence itself is of no interest to the authorities in those countries whatsoever. Green Card is.

So actually fully correct because I talked about having a license that covers you in the EU. I didn't say you couldn't drive in a non EU country and nor did I say anything about insurance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »

He's just seeing how long he can string people along for.
  • Options
    oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    those buzzfeed pics are funny. I think I could do alright with Europe but I'd probably miss some of the eastern ones. I would do horrible on Asia or Africa.

Here's the US states one done by brits

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat#g854vi

pretty funny stuff. I like the one with the Breaking Bad reference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes but didn't go into the licencing issue. The discussion was about the problems concerning Visa restrictions with certain posters (American) disagreeing between themselves over what 'dodges' i could use to circumvent the Visa stay limit.

One guy suggested crossing the border into Mexico for a few days then returning back into the US, but he was told that had been stopped.

Another guy told me "just go....nobody checks Visas...you will be ok to stay as long as you like."

Somehow i wasn't convinced by the latter suggestion!
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So actually fully correct because I talked about having a license that covers you in the EU. I didn't say you couldn't drive in a non EU country and nor did I say anything about insurance.
    As i said before, partly correct. I can be just as pedantic as you if that's the way you want to go.

One more time and then that's it.

Switzerland is not an EU country....the UK licence is valid and covers it.

He's just seeing how long he can string people along for.
    Why stay?

There are plenty of other threads besides this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oncemore wrote: »
    those buzzfeed pics are funny. I think I could do alright with Europe but I'd probably miss some of the eastern ones. I would do horrible on Asia or Africa.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat#g854vi

"Big Scotland".......oh dear!!! :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As i said before, partly correct. I can be just as pedantic as you if that's the way you want to go.

One more time and then that's it.

Switzerland is not an EU country....the UK licence is valid and covers it.

Why stay?

There are plenty of other threads besides this one.

You seem to have some reading difficulty. I never said at all that a UK license can't be used in a non EU country. Hope that sinks in this time.

Yes there are plenty of other threads and I read those too but since we are being open here, I'll stay or go if I choose to either way and if someone wants to dredge up the same tired inaccurate regurgitated nonsense as has been discussed ad nauseous on here that's up you.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Just reading one of the comments (from an American) quoting Mark Twain - "God created wars so that Americans would learn Geography" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seem to have some reading difficulty. I never said at all that a UK license can't be used in a non EU country. Hope that sinks in this time.

Yes there are plenty of other threads and I read those too but since we are being open here, I'll stay or go if I choose to either way and if someone wants to dredge up the same tired inaccurate regurgitated nonsense as has been discussed ad nauseous on here that's up you.
    What people post isn't "up to me" at all.....it's an open albeit moderated, forum. But for you to then disparagingly describe peoples posts as "tired, inaccurate, regurgitated nonsense" is rich to say the least and somewhat hypocritical when you spend time reading and picking them apart.

I'm not sure if you are purposely trolling or just doing your best to spoil an otherwise enjoyable thread. Either way it's not going to succeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What people post isn't "up to me" at all.....it's an open albeit moderated, forum. But for you to then disparagingly describe peoples posts as "tired, inaccurate, regurgitated nonsense" is rich to say the least and somewhat hypocritical when you spend time reading and picking them apart.

I'm not sure if you are purposely trolling or just doing your best to spoil an otherwise enjoyable thread. Either way it's not going to succeed.

Don't worry, I'm not accusing anyone of that except you with your faux innocence and bigotry masked as banter. :)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - never.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No. At each new state you have to apply for a driver's license for that state. You can stay at a hotel or motel on the border while you study to take the driver's test. This is how we raise revenue for new roads.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    No. At each new state you have to apply for a driver's license for that state. You can stay at a hotel or motel on the border while you study to take the driver's test. This is how we raise revenue for new roads.

and Americans don't get irony.:D
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    and Americans don't get irony.:D

Sarcasm. Surely?
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ok.....

Partly correct.

However other non EU countries such as Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Ukraine etc.....we can drive there with a UK licence but you won't even get within sniffing distance of the borders if you don't have Green Card which is a 'third party' cover insurance. The driver licence itself is of no interest to the authorities in those countries whatsoever. Green Card is.

You are answering a totally different question to what was asked.
  • Options
    Forum Member

:D You're such a wag!
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Neither do I. Nobody could possibly spend such a long time surrounded by brown and beige.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

I could name at a push half of American (USA) states, but as for their exact locations, very few. Only definites are California, Alaska, Hawaii, Florida, Texas really. It's all done on a need to know basis, as I don't intend to visit the USA any time soon (nothing personal to you guys across the pond).

I'd have trouble naming some counties (roughly equivalent to your states) in the UK, let alone getting their exact locations correct on a geographical map.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

This also includes the police forces. That's why they always arrive so late at the scene of a crime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    I could name at a push half of American (USA) states, but as for their exact locations, very few. Only definites are California, Alaska, Hawaii, Florida, Texas really. It's all done on a need to know basis, as I don't intend to visit the USA any time soon (nothing personal to you guys across the pond).

I'd have trouble naming some counties (roughly equivalent to your states) in the UK, let alone getting their exact locations correct on a geographical map.

I think I'd get the position of 90% of English counties, 85% of European countries and probably about 70-80% of US states. I'm afraid to say I am probably rubbish at Welsh, NI and Scottish counties (especially NI - beyond County Down and Derry, I think I'd struggle with the rest!).