Going camping in August - do you love it, or hate it?

Comments

• jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it, used to go as kids to Lulworth Cove/Durdle Door in Dorset.

Loads of walking, fishing, fresh air. Oh and the smell of bacon and eggs cooked outside in the open:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    McLovin85 wrote: »
    Nope but I work in one :)

Bashley in teh New Forest. Anyone go here?

If you're cute and under 30 I can do in July :D
  • GlastoGirlGlastoGirl Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    I love it too. Hubby and I went to North Devon at Easter, glorious during the day but frosty at night.. it was beautiful.

We have also been to Cardigan Bay, right on the beach, and close to Lulworth Cove as well.

We always seem to be lucky with the weather - except for Glastonbury Festival 2007, fingers crossed for this year.

I love the challenge of making it as comfortable as possible and cooking great food on a camping stove. Also a campfire, the ambience and romance is wonderful!
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just booked my camping holiday and I'm really excited.

I used to hate the idea of camping and only started to go because it was so cheap and there are so many great sites not too far from where I live.

It's hard work, but I love it. Do you hate it or love it and why?

Well the warmth is at its peak, so good from that POV, but the insects are also at their peak.

Oh, and you'll need to use powdered milk, unless you've got some sort of mobile fridge.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    All right then you've persuaded me! :D

Actually there are lovely aspects. Kids running around, grubby and free. Eating outdoors. Enjoying the night sky, I usually stayed up until about four to avoid sleeping on blow up. Listening to the wildlife. It is relaxing but choice between a weeks camping in the UK and a week in the Maldives?

You're not wrong - in an ideal world - I'd do both!

Perhaps it's been a case of needs must, so to speak. I did a few years in a family caravan park when my daughter was smaller. She had safety, activities and freedom there - and I had a bit of a rest.

Then when she was strong enough to help me with a tent, and I was sick to death of caravan parks, I bought a tent -we're a good team.

I've just bought a bigger tent actually (5) with a big living area as I think she can handle it with me.

Perhaps part of it all is that it's not that easy - you have to work together, make do, cope with the elements and make your own fun. And at the sites I have been to, the people are very nice, helpful and there is a spirit of trust and consideration.

It's not as relaxing as the Maldives though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    my hubby and son love it, but its not for me, I like order, and its difficult I feel in a tent to get it. but each to their own.

Oh calamity - you're right - you have to forget about order and perfection.

I like that - I'm not much good at it anyway though.:D
  • GeejaayGeejaay Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love camping, but haven't been for a few years. Going to try and squeeze in a few days in the Lakes this year though - introduce the wee ones to the joys of sleeping under canvas.

Best bit is the sound of the tent zips & the smell of frying bacon from neighbouring pitches in the morning.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    PamelaL wrote: »
    I hate camping with a passion. What's the bloody point? It's just like being at home except you're outdoors, which makes it worse.
    The point? There is no point. It's fun. That's all there is too it. lol
  • McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're cute and under 30 I can do in July :D

hehehe :D

24 :p and obviously cute :D
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love it when I was a kid. Now I can't think of anything worse!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    I have never considered it and never will..........................no en suite etc, etc, You could not pay me enough money to go! I wuld rather save for a few years and go to a decent hotel!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christa wrote: »
    I used to love it when I was a kid. Now I can't think of anything worse!

I was exactly the same - except I hated it as a child - the only time I went that is (with the Guides:eek:).

Wait til you've got a few half grown children, you might change your mind! Many children love it - it's a real adventure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never considered it and never will..........................no en suite etc, etc, You could not pay me enough money to go! I wuld rather save for a few years and go to a decent hotel!

Ah - come on - can't cope without an en -suite? Where's your spirit of adventure? The stars, the smell of nature, the effort and reward? Charles1101 what are you like eh?:D

(I suspect you are a rather suave type:))
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    McLovin85 wrote: »
    hehehe :D

24 :p and obviously cute :D

I hope you're a Boy :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    You're not wrong - in an ideal world - I'd do both!

Perhaps it's been a case of needs must, so to speak. I did a few years in a family caravan park when my daughter was smaller. She had safety, activities and freedom there - and I had a bit of a rest.

Then when she was strong enough to help me with a tent, and I was sick to death of caravan parks, I bought a tent -we're a good team.

I've just bought a bigger tent actually (5) with a big living area as I think she can handle it with me.

Perhaps part of it all is that it's not that easy - you have to work together, make do, cope with the elements and make your own fun. And at the sites I have been to, the people are very nice, helpful and there is a spirit of trust and consideration.

It's not as relaxing as the Maldives though!

Chances are I will not have the option of luxury holidays either. So may have to give it another go.

The time I camped on a site, I found it weird that so many other campers brought television's and in the evening that is all I could hear, I really disliked them for disturbing the peace. Why would anyone do that?

I admire your sense of adventure though. Last time I went, my ex was with me so took care of the hard work, the thought of me and my daughters trying to erect a tent is laughable, although I am sure we could rise to the challenge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Ah - come on - can't cope without an en -suite? Where's your spirit of adventure? The stars, the smell of nature, the effort and reward? Charles1101 what are you like eh?:D

(I suspect you are a rather suave type:))

Suave...not really, I would just miss all the modern comforts and I am never going to use the communal showers and toilets. As for all the bugs, insects, dubious weather, lack of decent bed etc, I rest my case.

Borrowed a caravan from a friend once to go to a party and stay overnight (it was 200 miles from home and could not get a hotel). It was a nightmare towing the caravan on the motorway...pasing lorries sucking you in and then blowing you out....and at 6ft 5ins, the beds are too small!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww i love camping i take the kids down the Gower every year come rain or shine.

My kids are getting older now and i am dreading the day when they dont want to go any more :( . No way would i go camping alone !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member

That was always my opinion until I went and absolutely loved it - in fact we're still arguing about this year's holiday, we want to go to Spain to stay in an apartment for a week and the kids want to camp in Dorset :rolleyes: :D

We've had our fair share of rain - the first camping holiday we did was two years ago the week it seemed the whole of the south flooded and every day brought a fresh weather warning... we came home on the Friday it was really bad (just got through the M5 before they had to close it :eek: ). That year we got flooded out putting the tent up - the heavens opened as we were setting up the inner bit so there was my husband and I shouting at each other through a thunderstorm while trying to get the waterproof bit over it while the kids sat in the car and cried that they wanted to go home. A lovely couple came and helped us get it sorted, sat the kids in their tent with some crisps and drinks, and once it was up handed us a beer each and pointed out the nearest chippy :D

Last year's holiday was far less eventful weather-wise but still great - just endless sitting outside the tent reading and drinking wine while the kids played all sorts of games with the other kids on the site... I can kind of see the kids' point about our holiday this year :o:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah Colette - and you'll never forget the bad times or the good - having the both is the adventure and the memories that we make!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adore it!

I love the packing, the unpacking, the silly accoutrements I need to own (I have way too much camping and outdoor shit), the cup of tea in the morning, the mud, the leap into the tent to try to ensure no midges get in, the chatting to others, the beer, the wine, the burnt sausages, the eating spaghetti hoops, the playing pictionary by tiny wind-up lanterns, the keeping your hat on all night in the freezing sleeping bag, etc.etc.

A pure and total joy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adore it!

I love the packing, the unpacking, the silly accoutrements I need to own (I have way too much camping and outdoor shit), the cup of tea in the morning, the mud, the leap into the tent to try to ensure no midges get in, the chatting to others, the beer, the wine, the burnt sausages, the eating spaghetti hoops, the playing pictionary by tiny wind-up lanterns, the keeping your hat on all night in the freezing sleeping bag, etc.etc.

A pure and total joy!

I know - I'm the same - I've gathered loads of stuff now - and love my wind up torch radio!

I'm looking for a double-burner camping stove now - a proper one (second hand on ebay with any luck). And might get another windbreak.

And it's not til you go that you really get into what you need!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know - I'm the same - I've gathered loads of stuff now - and love my wind up torch radio!

I'm looking for a double-burner camping stove now - a proper one (second hand on ebay with any luck). And might get another windbreak.

And it's not til you go that you really get into what you need!

Do you find you become a little obsessed with the camping malarkey? At one stage instead of thinking about which new pair of heels I could buy, I couldn't wait to spend the morning in the Outdoor shop to have a look at the camping gadgets. :o
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    I hate camping with a passion. What's the bloody point? It's just like being at home except you're outdoors, which makes it worse.

you must have some rubbish appliances in your house... or an amazingly big tent :D

CUT TO: PamL household's dinner party

'Darling...our guests are getting slightly peckish, do we have an ETA'

Andrew in kitchen with 3 little gas stoves and some pot noodle.... a cow walks past the sink (aka bucket)

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jazmine wrote: »
    Do you find you become a little obsessed with the camping malarkey? At one stage instead of thinking about which new pair of heels I could buy, I couldn't wait to spend the morning in the Outdoor shop to have a look at the camping gadgets. :o

Yep - only at this time of year though!:D
  • fay144fay144 Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    I go for a 2 week camping trip round the west coast of scotland most years, and I love it.

The best thing about it is being able to move around and see a variety of places. On one trip, we started at Oban, then did Mull, Skye, Harris, Lewis, Ullapool, and then home. We pre-booked a B&B for a night at the half way point, but when it came to it we would have rather just stayed in the tent.

I honestly couldn't say whether I preferred my fortnight honeymoon in the Maldives to that camping trip. Both were amazing.