Options

"12 Week" blowdry

BerBer Posts: 24,562
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My local salon has just started offering the 12 week blowdry (also known as brazillian straightening, but that name has certain conotations :D)

Apparently its a new system where your hair is temporarily straightened and the effect lasts for about 12 weeks. The only downside seems to be that you can only use certain shampoos to wash your hair afterwards as most of them contain a compound (sodium somethingorother) that would reverse the effects of the solution they use to keep the hair straight.

Anyway, I have looked at all the info on the net and spoken to my hairdresser about it, and as I have what can only be described as birdsnest hair I have booked myself in for one.

What I would like to know is has anyone here had it done themselves, and is there really no option other than to buy the more expensive shampoos to wash your hair?

Does it really last 12 weeks and can it really straighten out completely unruly hair?

As I say I have done some research on the net but would be interested in *real* opinions :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had it done but seriously considered it in the past (I've had my hair cut short as I got sick of the curls and it taking forever to straighten). I'll be very interested to know how it goes.

Sorry, got no advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha, I promise to come back and let you know how I got on.

Just worried now that I might be blowing £100 on something that could only last 5 mins. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, if they're the things that I think they are then I wouldn't recommend them. They use incredibly powerful chemicals in order to keep your hair straight like that, they won't be good for your hair, also I've seen people who have had it done and there hair almost goes jaggedly straight, the only thing is I don't think your allowed to use hair straightners on it, so it won't look as if it's just been done.
  • Options
    PawsaPawsa Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I'd be interested in hearing how it all works out. I don't understand how they get round root regrowth. My roots are visible after 3 weeks, so I would have curly/frizzy roots and then the rest of my hair would be straight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, if they're the things that I think they are then I wouldn't recommend them. They use incredibly powerful chemicals in order to keep your hair straight like that, they won't be good for your hair, also I've seen people who have had it done and there hair almost goes jaggedly straight, the only thing is I don't think your allowed to use hair straightners on it, so it won't look as if it's just been done.

With this they just add an extra layer of keratin to your hair so I don't think its the same thing you are thinking of (the "reverse" perm?)

According to the blurb the treatment coats your existing hair and locks it straight - it doesnt get absorbed in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pawsa wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing how it all works out. I don't understand how they get round root regrowth. My roots are visible after 3 weeks, so I would have curly/frizzy roots and then the rest of my hair would be straight.

My appointment is in a couple of weeks so I will keep you posted :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine has had it done and it has transformed her hair and she swears by it. It is not poker straight and still has some movement in it but instead of taking her 45 minutes to blow dry and tame her hair, she can even let it dry naturally now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine has had it done and it has transformed her hair and she swears by it. It is not poker straight and still has some movement in it but instead of taking her 45 minutes to blow dry and tame her hair, she can even let it dry naturally now.

This is the result I am hoping for myself :D
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    I've been thinking of doing a BKT (Brazillian Keratin Treatment) the Keratin is laden with protein and good for the hair. Not sure I want to shell out £200 for a three month treatment though...

Yes you're right people should be wary and know what's being put in their hair. Some BKT formulas contains up to 25% formaldehyde which is quite a dangerous chemical - it must not be applied to the scalp at all! The fumes are quite strong too, and most stylists and clients will wear a mask, this is what puts me off.

What is also worrying about this is when they apply the treatment and blow dry the hair it is then straightened using the hottest heat temperature available and the straighteners need to pass the hair up to 10 times. I don't think I'd have any hair left. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mines only costing £110 (including cut and a bottle of shampoo)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    I just got a reverse perm (only cost £45) and last's until the hair grows out so i pretty much got 6 months out of it as my hair only goes curly at about 7". It didn't dry my hair out either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, today was the day and so far so good.

Although I won't know for sure until tuesday because I can't wash it until then :D