Options

What units is blood sugar measured in?

Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
Forum Member
At the start of the year I was disgnosed with type2 diabetes.

I had my blood sugar (glucose?) measured and it was 120 somethings.

All the websites I've been on which track blood sugar only allow an input of up to 33 mmol/l. When I mentioned that my blood sugar was 120 somethings I was told that would be impossible as I would be dead.

I naturaly assumed I misheard and forgot about it. I've had my first three month check up where they have done a HbA1c test (yes - I had to look it up) and my blood sugar level is now 82 somethings.

Any idea what the somethings are? Id there a convesion to mmol/l so I can enter it in to my tracker.

Also any hints on how to remember to take the tablets - I'm forever fogetting to take the evening one.

Part of the problem is that although it was stressed that it is a serious disease, I feel fine. I haven't had any of the symptoms, it was just shown to be a problem as part of a routine check for someting else (which turned out not to be anything)

Comments

• Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    The home check meters output their results as mmol/l (millimolar per litre) but recently (over a year ago) the NHS have changed to reporting results in mg/dL (milligrams/deciliter). From Wikipedia:
    The mean normal blood glucose level in humans is about 5.5 mM (5.5 mmol/L or 100 mg/dL)
    so a rough conversion would be to multiply mmol/l by 18.

I take Metformin twice per day (immediately after first main meal (ie. breakfast, though I work nightshift so it's not "a breakfast") and last main meal. Then I take the Simvastatin and Ramipril with a supper or just a drink right before bed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seems to be a standard treatment. I'm on Metformin - but three times a day. Ramipril and recently simvastatin.

They really didn't agree with me so today I've been put on Atrovastatin

Still unsure what these 120 down to 80 somethigs are.

I've been told a target is 40.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This page has some values in both units, might be worth a look:
    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 40 target for your HBA1c will be measured in mmol/mol, which in DCCT is just under 6%.

The 120 and 82 numbers- were they results from a finger prick test in the office?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for your help.

Hi Epicurian - No, it was the full needle in the vein, send a test tube off for analysis job. Taken last week, today was the return visit for the results.

I'm just trying to make sense of what I've been told. The problem is, I can't convince myself it is particulary serious. I don't feel ill. Although I feel "healtier" I'd attribute that to the change in diet even if i hadn't been diagnosed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think both results are HBA1C. If so, you have already reduced your readings. I think you should ring to be sure, My Drs receptionists give blood test results over the phone, maybe your is the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That makes sense Ms Steak. ^^

OP, you've already reduced your HBA1c, and you feel healthier for your change in diet, which is fantastic. If you don't feel particularly unwell, I'd reckon that's due to the fact the onset of your diabetes has been gradual and you've become accustomed to high blood sugar, but once you get closer to your target you might just be amazed how much better you actually feel.

I'm type 1 and if I have a day (or more) of high BGs I really feel it with a no energy, grouchy hung-over feeling. I think you probably already know this is a serious disease, but there's no point in working yourself into knots over it. You've been diagnosed, and with those reduced numbers you're on the road to better health. So just keep doing what you're doing and stay positive. And set an alarm on your mobile phone to remind you to take your tablets!
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I'm on 4 metformin a day and my hbA1c has gone down from 128 to 65
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on 4 metformin a day and my hbA1c has gone down from 128 to 65

Fantastic Smudges dad.

I recently got mine down to 36, and came off medication, so to all intents and purposes I am now normal. That would surprise the majority of people who know me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »

no energy, grouchy hung-over feeling.

Thank you. I recognise this feeling. Less now than before.

So obviously i'm doing something right

I didn't mean to denigrate Diabetes. I know that people have real problems with it. It keeps on being stressed to me how serious it is.

I do what I'm asked to do, because the Doctor has asked me to do it, and I'm not one for ignoring a professional's advice.

I was saying about the seriousness as it relates to me. It's quite difficult to motivate when you don't feel ill.

And I confess I've fallen off the waggon a bit recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Thank you. I recognise this feeling. Less now than before.

So obviously i'm doing something right

I didn't mean to denigrate Diabetes. I know that people have real problems with it. It keeps on being stressed to me how serious it is.

I do what I'm asked to do, because the Doctor has asked me to do it, and I'm not one for ignoring a professional's advice.

I was saying about the seriousness as it relates to me. It's quite difficult to motivate when you don't feel ill.

And I confess I've fallen off the waggon a bit recently.

I don't think you were denigrating anything at all, and as we're all different, I don't think there is a right or a wrong way to react to being told you have diabetes. Even if you do fall off the wagon (as we all do), as long as you get back on and keep working toward your goal, then that's all anyone can ask of you.

Have you been given a glucose meter to use at home? Maybe you'd feel more motivated if you could see what your blood sugar was doing on a regular basis.