Options

Tenancy start date put back, advice needed.

Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A friend of mine's son and his partner had agreed to rent a flat. They paid the deposit and first month's rent to the agency and were told they would have the keys on 24th May. They have given notice to quit where they live but have now been told that the existing tenants, who are buying, have had their purchase date put back by nearly 4 weeks so they won't be getting the keys.

Who has the rights in this case?

Agreed, someone is going to be left without anywhere to live, but who should it be legally?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If money has changed hands and tenancy agreements signed with dates, then I don't think they can do that??
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pac_girl wrote: »
    If money has changed hands and tenancy agreements signed with dates, then I don't think they can do that??

All letting agents are scum, without exception, so they will always try it on.
  • Options
    Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Money has changed hands, but the letting agency have offered them the money back, so I suppose they have covered it.
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their losses that they should be entitled to for breaching the contract would include the cost of arranging temporary accommodation for that period and any rent over what they would have paid had they been able to move in.. Just returning the rent for the month isn't enough.

Always assuming the contract had been signed giving a fixed moving-in date and no qualification on previous tenants leaving late.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Always assuming the contract had been signed giving a fixed moving-in date and no qualification on previous tenants leaving late.

Must admit whenever I've rented in the past the contract signing happened on the day I moved in