Options

Is 'It's a wonderful life' on TV this Xmas?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    I have to admit that It's a Wonderful Life isn't what I'd call a "wonderful" film, for it's a bit too sickly sweet for my tastes, using cheap sentiment in an unsubtle manner. However, that's not to say that it's a crap film, just not my cup of tea. I can see why it's loved and a lot in the film is to be admired (acting and direction), it's just that the story isn't for me. I do like a sentimental film if done right, but I do feel that I'm being hit over the head with a sledgehammer while watching it. Bah humbug!

BTW, it's on Sky Movies Classics during next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I've seen this film once and wont be bothering again. They were showing it at the local cinema a few years back and thought it would put the family in the Christmas mood if we went along to see this so called "classic" It is really REALLY ass achingly boring and James Stewarts drawling accent got right on my tits. My wife and daughter didn't like it either.
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Just a heads up in case people don`t know. Alastair Sim`s Christmas carol is on christmas eve. I think its at 4.10pm on channel 5.

The horrendous colourised version, according to listings. Will just have to adjust my picture settings accordingly.

Best Christmas film ever.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leon W wrote: »
    It is really REALLY ass achingly boring and James Stewarts drawling accent got right on my tits.

Absolutely. I felt no love for the main character at all. As the movie progressed, I just found myself wishing he'd gone ahead and topped himself.
  • Options
    PhilT1808PhilT1808 Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just watched this for the first time and thought it was a fantastic film. You could see how so many other films have drawn from it over the years. Loved it.

To those with Sky - it's 'on demand' in the Christmas category. Enjoy. :)
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, judging by some of the comments on here, seems some loathe it, whilst others love it like I do.

I actually watched Its A Wonderful Life this afternoon, in a colourised Blu-Ray version and it is absolutely stunning.

It is a profoundly moving film, one of my own favourites, made in the year I was born 1947.

Those viewers who dislike this amazing film for one reason or another, must have hard hearts.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, judging by some of the comments on here, seems some loathe it, whilst others love it like I do.

I actually watched Its A Wonderful Life this afternoon, in a colourised Blu-Ray version and it is absolutely stunning.

It is a profoundly moving film, one of my own favourites, made in the year I was born 1947.

Those viewers who dislike this amazing film for one reason or another, must have hard hearts.

That's unfair. I can blub like a baby at a some movies, and will be bawling my eyes out Les Mis, as I do at the stage stage show. And I adore the 1951 version of Scrooge. But there's something about the cloying sentimentality of It's A Wonderful Life which leaves me absolutely unmoved. That's not being hard hearted, it's just subjective.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,200
    Forum Member
    Don't bother.

Despite what everyone will tell you about it being this amazing, ultimate feelgood, timeless classic of a film, it's actually a load of crap.

I agree, I am old enough to remember that it was a flop when it first came out, and I have never understood why it became so popular. :confused:
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,200
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Just a heads up in case people don`t know. Alastair Sim`s Christmas carol is on christmas eve. I think its at 4.10pm on channel 5.

Channel 5 only ever show the colorized version which ruins it for me, it looks like painting by numbers. :(