Texting while driving

1235»

Comments

• John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sahalouise wrote: »
    I hate to admit that I'm one of these AND I was caught doing it. At the traffic lights.

I recieved £60 fine and 3 points and it was that that tipped me over the 6points in your first 2 years and thus resulted in me having my license revoked.

I guess you could say I learnt the hard way, but it has definatley taught me to never use my phone in anyway whilst driving. It stays in my bag now and I have the music in my car that loud that if it did go off I wouldn't hear it anyway :)

I'm glad you've learnt your lesson.For how long is the licence revoked? :confused:

I saw an incident recently that chilled my blood-A man was in a Jaguar on the M62 with a woman nursing a baby in the back seat, as I was on a coach I could clearly see him from the higher level of the vehicle sending a text whilst driving with just one hand on the steering wheel.
    How can anyone be so stupid?:confused::mad:
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    If holding the phone to your ear, it would impact your spatial awreness, but it wont go completely. If the phone is on speaker then no it certainly wont.

perhaps not particularly your spatial awareness, but yes your awareness in general, it certainly would.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    I'm glad you've learnt your lesson.For how long is the licence revoked? :confused:
    For as long as it takes for you to apply for a new Provisional licence and retake and pass all parts of the Driving Test again.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/NewlyQualifiedDrivers/DG_4022566

You effectively get put back into learner driver mode so need L plates on the car and a suitable person to supervise your driving.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    perhaps not particularly your spatial awareness, but yes your awareness in general, it certainly would.

I dont disagree with that. Tuning the radio, talking to a passenger, lighting a cigarette, talking on the phone, tiredness, some alcohol will all have a negative affect on your awareness. I dont think anybody is denying that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit that I've sent/read texts while I've been at traffic lights (usually when they've just turned red and I know there is a whole round to go at crossroads) or when I know that traffic is at a complete standstill. I don't physically DRIVE whilst texting; I'll have it out of gear with the handbrake on, and the minute traffic's moving again I stop texting and put the phone down.

Not proud of it but I've only done it a couple of times. (E.g. stuck at traffic lights and sent a text to say I'll be a little late) but I make sure that I'm not doing it when the car is in gear or if traffic is moving.
  • gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An acquaintance of mine was run over and trapped under the car in a car park.The driver maintained they didn't see the victim.The driver behind the car involved said they plainly saw the victim.
    Now I don't think the circumstances surrounding all this were ever resolved or proved.Don't know the outcome except the victim died.
    It is my humble opinion and suspicion that the driver was texting.If they had not yet pressed the 'send' key could there be any record of this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    For as long as it takes for you to apply for a new Provisional licence and retake and pass all parts of the Driving Test again.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/NewlyQualifiedDrivers/DG_4022566

You effectively get put back into learner driver mode so need L plates on the car and a suitable person to supervise your driving.

Or just go straight to doing your driving test again.
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    People who text while driving are putting other drivers and pedestrians at serious risk they should be banned from driving for good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to do it all the time. Still would now if I could but i upgraded my phone and I do find I need two hands to text in an iPhone....
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    I used to do it all the time. Still would now if I could but i upgraded my phone and I do find I need two hands to text in an iPhone....

if you've upgraded your phone, then maybe you can send texts through voice recognition.

And sadly, I'm sure that needing two hands won't stop some idiot drivers texting.
    Forum Member
    An acquaintance of mine was run over and trapped under the car in a car park.The driver maintained they didn't see the victim.The driver behind the car involved said they plainly saw the victim.
    Now I don't think the circumstances surrounding all this were ever resolved or proved.Don't know the outcome except the victim died.
    It is my humble opinion and suspicion that the driver was texting.If they had not yet pressed the 'send' key could there be any record of this?

Whilst it is tragic, that somebody was killed in a driving related accident. I dont think there is anything that you can do, even if you could prove a text message was sent. Read my previous post about times. The driver could easily say he sent the text and then started to drive. It would be hard to prove otherwise. Was there any cctv footage you could get hold of showing the accident? This maybe your best bet.

If the driver was found to be texting, then he should be given a very long prison sentence.
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »

Its not the number of hands required. Its the taking your eyes of the road, and thinking about which letters to press on a small keyboard. You would have to take your eyes of the road for far longer than would make it safe to do so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Its not the number of hands required. Its the taking your eyes of the road, and thinking about which letters to press on a small keyboard. You would have to take your eyes of the road for far longer than would make it safe to do so.

I really didn't need to look at my old phone when texting. Completely stuffed now though