shellac DIY

2»

Comments

• Options
    SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBeeN wrote: »
    That lamp is like mine, so it will work. But have a look on ebay because mine was £15 (dunno about P&P though)

I would have thought the shellac on amazon would be the real deal.
    They always say professional use but you can buy these polishes on other websites. Just make sure the price isn't too cheap that could tell you something. ;)

Have you tried Geleration by Jessica, i got a bottle and it's very good. Got it from here http://www.colourednails.co.uk/

Thanks for the response. Haven't really looked at any options other than the CND cause that's the one my manicurist uses at the salon I go to.

Getting this for my mum as she has had problems with her nails breaking for a long time now, but after having them Shellac'd for my sons wedding they have been great and not broken at all. However she is not inclined to have them done regularly at a salon so I thought it would be a good idea to get her one she can use herself.

Will have a look at the one you recommended though. Do you think it will protect the nails as good as the shellac?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. Haven't really looked at any options other than the CND cause that's the one my manicurist uses at the salon I go to.

Getting this for my mum as she has had problems with her nails breaking for a long time now, but after having them Shellac'd for my sons wedding they have been great and not broken at all. However she is not inclined to have them done regularly at a salon so I thought it would be a good idea to get her one she can use herself.

Will have a look at the one you recommended though. Do you think it will protect the nails as good as the shellac?

Yes i think they will. I've been re-applying gel to my nails for over a couple of months now but I'm gonna give my nails a break i think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buying on Amazon is no guarantee at all that you're getting the real deal unfortunately, as most of the time you're actually buying from a 3rd party so nowadays it's not much better than eBay.
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everything strictlyfloss has said. There are only two suppliers that genuine CND Shellac can be bought from in the UK, Ellisons and Sweet Squared. Any other make isnt genuine but a fake and they are not official distributers.

The nail industry needs regulating to stop fakes being sold to the public. These are serious chemicals and can cause all sort of reactions and problems in the wrong hands.

If you're really interested in doing you own nails safely then do a short manicure course and buy Shellac genuinely.

The reason nail techs dont like fakes like Bluesky is not to do with people being able to use the product at home. For example people have been using nail polish at home for years and there is still plenty of work for nail techs doing mani's and pedi's. And as another example home hair dye has been available in shops for people to buy and do at home yet hairdressers still have plenty of clients wanting their hair coloured professionally. So people being able to do things at home still leaves plenty of work for the professionals too.

The issue nail techs have with anything that claims to be Shellac that isnt made buy CND or from the autorised distributers is it is an unknown and may not be safe. One bottle may be fine and the next may not be. Is it really worth causing permanent damage to your nails or giving yourself overexposure or an allergy for the sake of cheap nails?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everything strictlyfloss has said. There are only two suppliers that genuine CND Shellac can be bought from in the UK, Ellisons and Sweet Squared. Any other make isnt genuine but a fake and they are not official distributers.

The nail industry needs regulating to stop fakes being sold to the public. These are serious chemicals and can cause all sort of reactions and problems in the wrong hands.

If you're really interested in doing you own nails safely then do a short manicure course and buy Shellac genuinely.

The reason nail techs dont like fakes like Bluesky is not to do with people being able to use the product at home. For example people have been using nail polish at home for years and there is still plenty of work for nail techs doing mani's and pedi's. And as another example home hair dye has been available in shops for people to buy and do at home yet hairdressers still have plenty of clients wanting their hair coloured professionally. So people being able to do things at home still leaves plenty of work for the professionals too.

The issue nail techs have with anything that claims to be Shellac that isnt made buy CND or from the autorised distributers is it is an unknown and may not be safe. One bottle may be fine and the next may not be. Is it really worth causing permanent damage to your nails or giving yourself overexposure or an allergy for the sake of cheap nails?

To be fair on people that sell Bluesky on ebay they clearly say it's called Blusesky Gelish and not Harmony Gelish. I mean yes we know Bluesky is using the name Gelish within their product and that's wrong but sellers do warn people before they buy it so it's your choice.
    I've got a couple of bottles of bluesky, the bottles look different for a start and they are a lot thicker than Harmony Gelish, which i don't like so I'm sticking to Harmony Gelish from now on or Geleration.

I haven't had any problems whilst using the Harmony Gelish that i've bought from Ebay or colourednails.com.
    So for me personally I'll keep using but if anything did occur then I'd stop straight away.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    I'm just bumping this thread to comment that I've been using bluesky shellac since August 2012 continuously and I am totally hooked.
    I cant dispute that CND Shellac is the superior brand but for DIY gel nails this is brilliant, I get 2 weeks wear easy from the bluesky but get bored so take it of and start again.
    If anyone is considering giving it a go I am one happy user of the bluesky range and have had no problems what so ever.
    I've recently bought a konad stamper and plates and polish and am so impressed with the results I can achieve.