Films you won't watch on principle?

Comments

• Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,383
    Forum Member
    There are plenty of film series I will no longer watch due to being disappointed at one of the sequels.

Aliens after Alien 3

Terminator after Terminator 3

Indiana Jones after the fourth film

The Matrix after The Matrix Reloaded

Die Hard after Die Hard 4

I also won't watch any Predator, Robocop or future Gremlins movies after the first two, because the first two in each series were a good way to end things.

I won't watch any modern remake of a classic film, such as Total Recall, Conan the Barbarian etc....because they can only be inferior, and would taint the originals in my mind.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't watch any modern remake of a classic film, such as Total Recall, Conan the Barbarian etc....because they can only be inferior, and would taint the originals in my mind.

That's why I'd never watch any other than the original Wicker Man.
  • bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of film series I will no longer watch due to being disappointed at one of the sequels.

Aliens after Alien 3

Terminator after Terminator 3

Indiana Jones after the fourth film

The Matrix after The Matrix Reloaded

Die Hard after Die Hard 4

I also won't watch any Predator, Robocop or future Gremlins movies after the first two, because the first two in each series were a good way to end things.

What an odd thing to say.
    So if The Dambusters was remade you wouldn't watch it? I sure as hell would, the original is awful.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Star wars.1, 2, 3, 4 well any of them.
    Scar face
    Good fellas 1, 2and 3.

One flew over the cuckoos nest

I won't be told what films sre amazing and you should watch this
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never seen (and never will):
    The Sound Of Music
    Mamma Mia
    and wish I had never seen:
    ANY of the Harry Potter tripe!
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good fellas 1, 2and 3

Godfather even?

By specifically not watching certain films because you "won't be told what films are amazing" you are allowing others to control you.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,770
    Forum Member
    Anything 'starring' Jennifer Aniston.
  • Donald DallasDonald Dallas Posts: 3,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peroquil wrote: »
    I was just about to post "Anything starring one of the Wayans brothers"

The Last Boy Scout deserves a pass on this front.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scar face
    Good fellas 1, 2and 3.

As above i assume you mean Godfather 1,2 and 3.

However, not watching films because they are recommended is a bit silly, you potentially deprive yourself of some of the best movies even made. The delicious irony is by pushing against the grain your as much of a sheep as if you went with it.....rebel without a clue you might say.

You have never seen the original Star Wars trilogy? So....if i recommended every film ever made, you would never watch another film....ever? Way to go, that's showing them :rolleyes:
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Any of the Scary Movie sequals, trash cinema is an epidemic these days, so so many bad films being made.

Scary Movie 2 is absolutely hilarious.
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a blanket I avoid all ‘comic’ hero style films; Spiderman, Green Lantern, Ironman, X-men etc I wish I had some erudite reasoning behind it, unfortunately though it’s simply because I find the whole genre utterly c**p.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    I don't know about 'on principle', but i know I'm never going to watch...

Mamma Mia (show and loved the stage show, but i want people who can sing in a musical film, and the trailer was enough)

Avatar sequels (the original looked pretty, but that's not enough when the plot and acting are terrible)

Any of the Transformers films (saw #2 - possibly the worst film I have ever seen)

Anchorman 2 (As Anchorman was a laugh free zone)

Hangover sequels (The Hangover is even less funny than Anchorman)

The Twilight series (reading book 1 was bad enough when #1 child started on them)
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Musicals. They're just plain awful.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    I get round that by Annis for the Herbert orginals and Krige for the Anderson sequels :).

Poor Alice! :)
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What an odd thing to say.
    So if The Dambusters was remade you wouldn't watch it? I sure as hell would, the original is awful.

That would not be a remake though, it'd be a different telling of real-life events.
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Potter movies. The lead actors are terrible. I think I saw the first two and that's enough.

Or gory movies. Or biographical movies about someone I don't like.
  • BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nothing but a showreel for a shit gimmick.

I love AVATAR!
  • BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any of the Twilight films, cos they're a load of w*nk
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any British film or television programme that is remade for American audiences.

Can't agree about Steven Segal. His films are so breathtakingly terrible that they have brilliant comedy value.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancing movies where the plucky hero/heroine from the wrong side of the tracks makes good after a few falls along the way.

Especially if it's the 4th sequel, with the 4th different no mark playing the lead after the original long since binned the project.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Not really principle but I've never seen Harry Potter or Lord of the rings. I've just got no interest in watching them.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love AVATAR!

Good for you.

I'm still not going to watch it though.

Well, I might one day; but it will be on the 25 year old, 14 inch, CRT telly in the spare bedroom. If it is a good film then it will be enjoyable on that screen.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Scar face
    Good fellas 1, 2and 3.

Interesting..

When choosing which films to see, do you close your eyes and throw a dart at the film listings page in order to make a decision? How about choosing which books to read? Is that a similarly random exercise? I find that funds and, indeed, life, are too limited to make uninformed choices. I certainly don't want to waste any of either by ending up with the next Dan Brown or Katie Price 'novel' by refusing to listen to critics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Potter movies. The lead actors are terrible. I think I saw the first two and that's enough.

True. Daniel Radcliffe has improved (The Woman in Black), but the rest are Emmerdale standard. Emma Watson, in fact, isn't even up to that level.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Snowtown.