Why has BBC Sacked Me

2»

Comments

• skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    I don't know if that article has been edited, and certainly race is mentioned there, but I cannot see where he is suggesting that he has been sacked because of his colour.

He hasn't said it was racist but the race issue is inferred by the whole tone of the article , which may of course be the Mails fault but he hasn't helped and to my mind there is diversity on BBC London where he was employed for special reports for the past 13 years

‘It beats me why the BBC has brought my news contribution to a premature close at a time when national debate is crying out for greater diversity and experience on screen and behind it.

‘BAME [Black And Minority Ethnic] people on screen are as important as BAME people in a police uniform

Now we don't know why he is being let go it may be they cannot afford his position on BBC London anymore or just as a part of the overhaul, but he does make it sound that the reason he should not go is not only his experience but his colour. And as much as I want to see diversity I am against any form of positive discrimination in any employment, jobs should be based upon ability alone but race, sexuality or religion should of course never be a reason not to employ someone.
  • xflarexflare Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    He hasn't said it was racist but the race issue is inferred by the whole tone of the article , which may of course be the Mails fault but he hasn't helped and to my mind there is diversity on BBC London where he was employed for special reports for the past 13 years

‘It beats me why the BBC has brought my news contribution to a premature close at a time when national debate is crying out for greater diversity and experience on screen and behind it.

‘BAME [Black And Minority Ethnic] people on screen are as important as BAME people in a police uniform

Now we don't know why he is being let go it may be they cannot afford his position on BBC London anymore or just as a part of the overhaul, but he does make it sound that the reason he should not go is not only his experience but his colour. And as much as I want to see diversity I am against any form of positive discrimination in any employment, jobs should be based upon ability alone but race, sexuality or religion should of course never be a reason not to employ someone.

So he is basically saying White people should be at the front of the line when it comes to redundancy.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC got into a lot of rouble when they sacked countryfile presenter Miriam O'Reilly for being a woman over 50 and white. They wanted more "diversity" in the countryside so she had to go. It's something the BBC are obsessed with.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xflare wrote: »
    So he is basically saying White people should be at the front of the line when it comes to redundancy.

No. He's saying that you can't become more diverse if you get rid of people from diverse backgrounds. These two statements are not the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    No. He's saying that you can't become more diverse if you get rid of people from diverse backgrounds. These two statements are not the same.

If it was only people from ethnic/diverse backgrounds being made redundant or not having contracts renewed then I would agree with him, but that's not the case .
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They aim to get rid of 2000 people, some of them are going to be women and minorities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was only people from ethnic/diverse backgrounds being made redundant or not having contracts renewed then I would agree with him, but that's not the case .

I think he has a point to make about GBP wanting more diversity and the BBC getting rid, and is using his own situation to highlight it. His statement is certainly not evidence that he wanted white people to be at the front of the line, which is the opinion set out in the post I was addressing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he has a point to make about GBP wanting more diversity and the BBC getting rid, and is using his own situation to highlight it. His statement is certainly not evidence that he wanted white people to be at the front of the line, which is the opinion set out in the post I was addressing.

So he was basically saying they should not get rid of him as he is an ethnic minority, but there is no evidence that the BBC is only getting rid of people of ethnic minorities. And to be fair if anyone watches BBC London it is hardly making it less diverse by him not being there , it is a very well represented programme in that arena.
  • Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black man loses Job, Only reason must be racism. About as funny as Sol Campbell thinking he should have been captain of England for 10 years, even though other players were far better than him.
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    TBH, it is more than likely an age thing rather than a competancy or race thing.

I'm not sure it's fair to call a company "ageist" if they let an older person go in favour of a younger person. It may not sound nice but there may be tangible reasons for doing so.

If you have 10 people and you need to get rid of a few, it may make sense to keep those who are still in their prime or are more appealing to an audience over someone past their prime. That's unfortunately life, it is a business at the end of the day, not a charity.

Actually you can as my BIL proved when he took his old employers to a tribunal when they made him and other people over 50 redundant and kept the younger staff and he won when it was found that one of the younger staff who had been kept was moved into his old job.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC got into a lot of rouble when they sacked countryfile presenter Miriam O'Reilly for being a woman over 50 and white. They wanted more "diversity" in the countryside so she had to go. It's something the BBC are obsessed with.
    She was an old bat stuck in a time warp though. Did absolutely nothing to help herself and then made matters even worse by her constant whining about 'ageism'. How could she possibly be taken seriously spouting that clap trap when the BBC regularly have Angela Rippon (69), Julia Somerville (66) and Jennie Bond (63) presenting?

O'Reilly is only 57 yet her frumpy appearance typified the twinset and pearl look of the 1950's.

Whose bottom would you rather look at in a pair of tight jeans.....O'Reilly or Julia Bradbury's?

No contest! :cool:
  • ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, my understanding from this article is that a white person should be sacked instead of a black person. Isn't that discrimination?
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    DM story today

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2593886/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Why-BBC-sacked-asks-black-TV-presenter.html

perhaps he just isn't very good. not just assume it's based on race, eh?

I don't know the guy but after 24 years he's possibly not good enough?
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    "Sack me?.....SACK ME?"........"I made the BBC"......". I'M HENRY SELLERS!!!!!! "

(Sorry, but somebody had to do it)
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the BBC sacked him for diversity reasons. They had a one-legged 50 year old asylum seeking Lesbian lined up for the role. After all a tranny or a black bloke is just so passé.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's strange that during a time of restructuring and redundancies that the word "sacked" is used.

From what I remember, if the number of posts is being reduced you may find yourself having to apply for your own job, whilst being in competition with others performing the same role.

I wonder if he was just beaten by better qualified, higher performing, more flexible staff?

Given that age would probably increase the size of his redundancy pay off anyway, I wonder if a successful claim for something like constructive dismissal on the grounds of race and / or age would pay more?

I suppose getting his face in the papers wouldn't hurt, after all "any publicity is good"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So he was basically saying they should not get rid of him as he is an ethnic minority, but there is no evidence that the BBC is only getting rid of people of ethnic minorities. And to be fair if anyone watches BBC London it is hardly making it less diverse by him not being there , it is a very well represented programme in that arena.

I think he was basically saying what I basically said.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who watches BBC London (so actually know who he is) I'm really quite sorry to hear about this. some have criticised his slightly ponderous style of delivery (as he wasn't what I would call a natural performer) but in a way that gave him a bit more gravitas. His reports always seemed well researched and very fair. He certainly never came over as someone who had an agenda. It may be someone didn't like his slow style of delivery on live reports (but Pestons' idiosyncratic style hasn't harmed him) but all in all I'm quite sorry to hear this/
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He seems determined to pin this on his being black, I suspect in order to whack the BBC for a spot of compo. Given the number of black & asian faces on BBC programmes (especially news) I think we can be fairly confident there is no racism involved.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with what you're saying. It's just that the OP, and other posts on the thread seemed to say that he was saying he'd been sacked because of his colour.