iPhone 6 is five percent faster!

Comments

• Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    You could argue that the 6 has to deal with a larger resolution and therefore the CPU has more to deal with and thus it's a bigger benefit than the 5% mark implies...

Well, you could.... just saying.:cool:
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    All of a sudden my 5s is looking like a bargain investment.....
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    All of a sudden my 5s is looking like a bargain investment.....

Good luck with that bargain when the networks have VoLTE working...
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »

LOL! :D:p

VoLTE is a long way from being mainstream, majority of handsets sold still use 3G/2G network for calls. Yes new iPhone supports it, its not like having said feature is a game changer. There aren't a great deal of handsets that support VoLTE right now, so the whole project is at least 2/3 years away from offering a similar service level to that of 3G/2G.

But yes good luck to those who buy said device and it only has a performce bump of 5% compared to the model I have. It goes to show bigger isn't always better.
  • Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    And when was the last time you thought the iPhone 5s was grossly underpowered and were left wanting more?

The biggest request from iPhone users is usually more battery life.

They could stick a quad core chip in there which would look awesome on the benchmarks. For any real world high intensity work that android quad core chip would begin to throttle with heat and and suck the battery life.

Apple A8's apparently are able to sustain high power continuously and where the real processing is required relative to the phones apps is in games which is offloaded to a 50% faster GPU sub core.

I wouldn't get hung up on raw clock speed. 1GB of ram might anony some but i think apple always have created a phone with the perfect balance of hardware relative to the current and imminent crop of apps. If they added more components its entirely possible the phone would be heavier, need a slightly bigger battery and would therefore be slightly thicker. It is all a balance.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    You could argue that the 6 has to deal with a larger resolution and therefore the CPU has more to deal with and thus it's a bigger benefit than the 5% mark implies...

Well, you could.... just saying.:cool:

Yeah the new chip has to handle that 2012 level of resolution I suppose :p
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it's confirmed to have 1 gb of RAM, 1 gb in this day and age. Ridiculous. Apple must think we're mugs. Think I'm going to cancel my pre order and get the Note 4.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it's confirmed to have 1 gb of RAM, 1 gb in this day and age. Ridiculous. Apple must think we're mugs. Think I'm going to cancel my pre order and get the Note 4.

Why do you feel it need more than 1GB RAM? Other iPhones with 1GB RAM are not slow, and the apps are not slow. Cannot compare specs of 1 type of phone against another. What Android needs and what iOS needs are different.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clearly doesn't need more than 1gb else they'd have given it more.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    clearly doesn't need more than 1gb else they'd have given it more.

..... Or possibly they are saving that for the 7 ?
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prof-x wrote: »
    And when was the last time you thought the iPhone 5s was grossly underpowered and were left wanting more?

They could stick a quad core chip in there which would look awesome on the benchmarks. For any real world high intensity work that android quad core chip would begin to throttle with heat and and suck the battery life.

Apple A8's apparently are able to sustain high power continuously and where the real processing is required relative to the phones apps is in games which is offloaded to a 50% faster GPU sub core.

I wouldn't get hung up on raw clock speed. 1GB of ram might anony some but i think apple always have created a phone with the perfect balance of hardware relative to the current and imminent crop of apps. If they added more components its entirely possible the phone would be heavier, need a slightly bigger battery and would therefore be slightly thicker. It is all a balance.

So they don't try and future proof them then?
  • dephanix02dephanix02 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    If you use safari a lot and use tabs you'll know exactly why you need more ram.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »

Ah yes. The service 90% of iPhone users won't have! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    Why do you feel it need more than 1GB RAM? Other iPhones with 1GB RAM are not slow, and the apps are not slow. Cannot compare specs of 1 type of phone against another. What Android needs and what iOS needs are different.

IOS needs more RAM. I've tried the latest iPad air and it does get a bit sluggish depending on what you're doing.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    IOS needs more RAM. I've tried the latest iPad air and it does get a bit sluggish depending on what you're doing.
    I cannot see how you can point to RAM for this without more detailed knowledge. As other have said how an OS uses memory is going to be VERY different between different designs.
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    I cannot see how you can point to RAM for this without more detailed knowledge. As other have said how an OS uses memory is going to be VERY different between different designs.

Indeed, however its very easy to point at the ram for this. It would only be that or the cpu.

We all know the CPU has enough grunt to make the phone fly. The ram is the bottle neck here and always has been on iproducts. Run to many apps at once on an iphone or ipad and it will drop to a crumbling mess.

1gb on a phone with so many features and such a high price is pretty damn bad. I'm pretty sure they could have stretched the extra £5 it would have cost to stick it in.
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »

Android itself doesn't need the 2 and 3gb that seem to be hitting phones now, but its there if it is needed by other apps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Indeed, however its very easy to point at the ram for this. It would only be that or the cpu.

We all know the CPU has enough grunt to make the phone fly. The ram is the bottle neck here and always has been on iproducts. Run to many apps at once on an iphone or ipad and it will drop to a crumbling mess.

1gb on a phone with so many features and such a high price is pretty damn bad. I'm pretty sure they could have stretched the extra £5 it would have cost to stick it in.

It would futureproof it having more RAM in it. I bet you anything the 6s will have more RAM. But I'm not going to buy a new iphone every year because the specs aren't up to much. The 6+ upscales, and people have already said it will use more RAM doing that. If you stuck an extra gig of RAM in it now it would be be a smoother experience, and less pain down the road.

Look at how much you're paying already. I really don't think Apple have magical powers that let them use a pitiful amount of RAM and don't have any issues with it.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prof-x wrote: »

That 50% faster GPU also has to move either 40% more pixels (6) or almost 300% more pixels (6+). Benchmarks are likely going to show the 6+ being slower than the 5S under some circumstances.

My old 4S gets hot when its used for anything other than calling for more than a few minutes. Kinda handy in the winter, just play a youtube video and wrap my hands around the phone to get warm. Friends with the 5C/5S have had similar comments about their phones. So on their track record, the 6 will likely be the same.

512meg on the 4S isn't anywhere near enough (apps tend to totally close way too frequently, the majority of crash reports in the OS are related to memory problems), still only being on 1gig for the 6 is a bizarre move. Applications would be able to make good use of that additional memory.