Should smoking be banned from outdoor public spaces?

Comments

• DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    Duh! You want to reread the whole thread. I didn't call for a ban on that, I called for a ban on smoking whilst driving after someone brought that up. You can either pm me your apology or post it publicly, its up to you

You don't have to read the whole thread. It's in the subject header.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I read yesterday that 30,000 people pa die as a direct result of air pollution in the UK. I doubt it's from people having the occasional **** in a public park or square.
    This is your final warning!
    Any attempts to add a sense of perspective to a smoking-related thread are completely and utterly prohibited and people are already tutting at their screens!
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to the doctors this morning for some antibiotics for a chest infection and 4 women from the local co-op were stood outside smoking right in front of the doorway despite signage saying it's strictly a no smoking site. I had no option but to breathe it in.

What's the point in having rules and regulations if nobody bothers to police them?

I felt like going and getting a bucket of water and throwing it over them and saying sarcastically, "Oh I'm awfully sorry ladies but would you mind extinguishing your cigarettes, this is a no smoking site."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't ban smoking, ban cigarettes!.

But they won't, coz there hypocrites.

Smoker's : please stop, it's so much more fun without them.

Smoker for 26yr's
    Non smoker for 5.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Went to the doctors this morning for some antibiotics for a chest infection and 4 women from the local co-op were stood outside smoking right in front of the doorway despite signage saying it's strictly a no smoking site. I had no option but to breathe it in.

What's the point in having rules and regulations if nobody bothers to police them?

A trip to your local hospital which is no doubt a no smoking site will reveal a number of hospital staff having a puff as the alternative is to walk a considerable distance to be outside the no smoking zone. The words 'over the top' come to mind.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is your final warning!
    Any attempts to add a sense of perspective to a smoking-related thread are completely and utterly prohibited and people are already tutting at their screens!

And totally ignored.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    A trip to your local hospital which is no doubt a no smoking site will reveal a number of hospital staff having a puff as the alternative is to walk a considerable distance to be outside the no smoking zone. The words 'over the top' come to mind.

Then tough. They should go and have one off site then as those are the rules. If they want to engage in an antisocial habit then do it away from sick patients. Not right in front if the main doors where people are having to walk through it.

Although I agree that some rules are ridiculous. For example a pub not far from us has banned smoking on the tables outside the front of the pub and insist you have to use the smoking shelter around the back. I was sat outside one afternoon and a guy lit up and the landlord came rushing out to tell him he couldn't smoke there. The guy got up, took two paces to the left where he was now stood on council pavement and said, "There you go, is that better?" Absolutely no point whatsoever! The landlord couldn't do a thing about it and was left looking like a right idiot.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I felt like going and getting a bucket of water and throwing it over them and saying sarcastically, "Oh I'm awfully sorry ladies but would you mind extinguishing your cigarettes, this is a no smoking site."

If something bothers you, why not say something there and then?

'Excuse me ladies, do you mind not smoking here please?'

It seems a bit lame to ignore something annoying you at the time, then come online to moan about it.

You could have also held your breath as you walked through the door, for all of 3 seconds, so you didn't have to breath the smoke in.
  • hackjohackjo Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't smoke and never have. I can't stand cigarette smoke, I think smoking is a stupid habit and have observed self-centred behaviour by smokers on many occasions. I absolutely detest breathing in other people's smoke, especially when outside on an otherwise pleasant day.

However, I don't support this ban and I didn't support the indoor smoking ban either, even though both would make my life more pleasant in a small way.

I think smokers are being persecuted and the real solution is a more intelligent approach - i.e. if a private landowner wishes to ban smoking on their premises, that's fine. Otherwise, leave well alone. Sorted.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    And totally ignored.

Hello..:)

This week I am mostly doing ebola..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If something bothers you, why not say something there and then?

'Excuse me ladies, do you mind not smoking here please?'

It seems a bit lame to ignore something annoying you at the time, then come online to moan about it.

You could have also held your breath as you walked through the door, for all of 3 seconds, so you didn't have to breath the smoke in.

Firstly, it's not my place to enforce other people's rules. The NHS make the rules so they should be the ones that confront people not me. Secondly because saying anything especially when there's 4 against 1 usually results in you being on the receiving end of a mouthful of abuse like being told to f off and mind your own business that's why!

Plus I didn't see they were smoking until I inadvertently walked in to it as they were all huddled together in a circle chatting. Besides why should I hold my breath? They were the ones breaking the rules not me. It's a no smoking site so they shouldn't have been doing it but if you report them as I have done in the past they do nothing about it because nobody dare go out and tackle them for fear of getting abused so what's the point in having rulles if nobody enforces them? Pointless! It's like the inconsiderate arseholes who park in disabled spaces at supermarkets when they're not disabled. Why have signs up when it never gets enforced?

I'm a smoker myself and have no problem with people smoking outdoors in certain places but people huddled together around doorways smoking is something I can't stand.

Personally I'd like to see smoking banned around doorways to public buildings where people have no choice to avoid it and walk somewhere else and in parks specifically where there's kids and around play areas and in zoos and theme parks and places where lots of families gather.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, it's not my place to enforce other people's rules. The NHS make the rules so they should be the ones that confront people not me. Secondly because saying anything especially when there's 4 against 1 usually results in you being on the receiving end of a mouthful of abuse like being told to f off and mind your own business that's why!

Plus I didn't see they were smoking until I inadvertently walked in to it as they were all huddled together in a circle chatting. Besides why should I hold my breath? They were the ones breaking the rules not me. It's a no smoking site so they shouldn't have been doing it but if you report them as I have done in the past they do nothing about it because nobody dare go out and tackle them for fear of getting abused so what's the point in having rulles if nobody enforces them? Pointless! It's like the inconsiderate arseholes who park in disabled spaces at supermarkets when they're not disabled. Why have signs up when it never gets enforced?

I'm a smoker myself and have no problem with people smoking outdoors in certain places but people huddled together around doorways smoking is something I can't stand.

Personally I'd like to see smoking banned around doorways to public buildings where people have no choice to avoid it and walk somewhere else and in parks specifically where there's kids and around play areas and in zoos and theme parks and places where lots of families gather.

Maybe you get more abuse then most. Or are paranoid of getting abuse. Most people are very reasonable if you're polite.

You should hold your breath for all of 3 seconds so you don't have to breath in smoke. I would rather not breath in the smoke, hold my breath and not be pissed off as a result.

You want it banned? It already was banned, yet you still chose to breath the smoke in!
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Hello..:)

This week I am mostly doing ebola..

Hello, how nice.

I've given up on air pollution.:D
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they will ever try stop parents from smoking and drinking alcohol
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,830
    Forum Member
    I wonder if i ever try stop parents from smoking and drinking alcohol

Could you reword that?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't ban smoking, ban cigarettes!.

But they won't, coz there hypocrites.

Smoker's : please stop, it's so much more fun without them.

Smoker for 26yr's
    Non smoker for 5.

I have not smoked for about 30 years but I would still defend the rights of smokers
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hackjo wrote: »
    I don't smoke and never have. I can't stand cigarette smoke, I think smoking is a stupid habit and have observed self-centred behaviour by smokers on many occasions. I absolutely detest breathing in other people's smoke, especially when outside on an otherwise pleasant day.

However, I don't support this ban and I didn't support the indoor smoking ban either, even though both would make my life more pleasant in a small way.

I think smokers are being persecuted and the real solution is a more intelligent approach - i.e. if a private landowner wishes to ban smoking on their premises, that's fine. Otherwise, leave well alone. Sorted.
    That's a logical well thought out fair comment from a non-smoker. Any chance you could hand out some of that logical thinking to the anti-smoker Fascists?
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    That's a logical well thought out fair comment from a non-smoker. Any chance you could hand out some of that logical thinking to the anti-smoker Fascists?

I suspect some of hackjo's wise words have already had an impact.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a non smoker who really dislikes the smell of smoke, mainly because it sets my asthma off but I didn't agree with the ban indoors. I thought it was far better to have designated smoking areas indoors rather than chuck smokers outside/

So no surprise that I don't agree with the ban outdoors. Bloody stupid. If I have to walk past smokers in town I just hold my breath. I've never experienced problems in outdoor spaces like parks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    Duh! You want to reread the whole thread. I didn't call for a ban on that, I called for a ban on smoking whilst driving after someone brought that up. You can either pm me your apology or post it publicly, its up to you

You'll have neither. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:confused: you smoke, but are complaining about walking past someone smoking? Seriously, what are you smoking?
    Forum Member

I'm a smoker myself ,,,

Something odd here.
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    You'll have neither. Thanks.

Got your PM, apology accepted. LOL at trying to save face publicly though
  • FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an ex-smoker (smoked for 14 years before quitting last October) I say YES.I never realised how utterly rank the smell of cigarette smoke is until I quit. Vile.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's worse than that in our county! Our regional hospital has been a No Smoking site for many years. Once it provided smoking shelters but they are long gone. Every time I go there, there are patients outside the doors smoking whilst attached to drips or in wheelchairs. There are theatre staff and nurses smoking behind bushes and there are visitors standing smoking outside elderly patients rooms on the ground floor who have respiratory problems. There are signs on each window pleading with people not to smoke outside the windows because the smoke goes in. People just don't care. Smokers are very selfish people.