Options

stand up to the cancer channel4

Comments

• Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i must admit parts of this has been shite they need a better running order and more quality control

It is a total clusterfvck... only good bit was revealing Naomi Campbell sounds like she's common as muck compared to her interview voice.
    Glad it is raising so much money and awareness but hope the supply costs don't scupper a lot of the takings.
  • Options
    alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    utter pile of crap channel four, id gladly donate to cancer if certain celebrities nevergrace my screen again, yes I am talking about you Alan Carr, plus whoever passed up the opportunity of having an uninterrupted Gogglebox episode
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    ..... However, it was all a bit disorganised, and would have benefited from a bit of structure.

I generally don't mind Davina, and I like Alan Carr, but they were both a bit much tonight. The Last Leg bits were by far the best in the studio.

I liked the idea of discussing some of the medical aspects of cancer, and thought it was a great idea to do the 'what causes/doesn't cause cancer', and would have liked to have heard a bit more on some of the latest trials and developments. Having Dr Christian on the presenting team was a good idea.

It's a good opportunity to remind everyone to check their bits, and making jokes is a good way to break down the anxiety, but there were times when it got a bit random, and not particularly instructive. The rather long trailer for next week's show was beyond bizarre.

The best bits for me were all of the Last Leg stuff, the Andy Murray Movie and Celebrity Gogglebox, but I feel they could have edited the latter better.
    Fully agree, from about 15mins into the start, the programme felt that it had no script or hadn't been rehearsed. I also felt the same parts mentioned above were enjoyable and entertaining, some other parts were heartbreaking and I was pleased to make a donation, but my biggest annoyance was the needless shouty-mouths of Alan and Davina, especially during parts of interests such as when the Doctor was talking about the illness.
    rory r wrote: »
    Im watching on ch4 + 1. Cant believe Adam Hill just said "have a seat," to a woman in a wheelchair.
    I noticed that too! ;-)
  • Options
    777Eilidh777Eilidh Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a cancer patient myself, I'm glad for any monies raised but surely a Friday night is for escapism, not to be hurled into the pit of despair. I only watched for a little while and had to turn over to something a little more upbeat. I did think Naomi's tears were very false/forced.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea if/when C4 will bother to upload any of this to 4OD?

Just got in from work, expecting to be able to watch it all - in fact that's what the next 4 hours were reserved for, but none of it is up there >:( bloody useless
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

Just got in from work, expecting to be able to watch it all - in fact that's what the next 4 hours were reserved for, but none of it is up there >:( bloody useless

I wouldn't bother wasting your time. It was car crash TV at its worst
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

There are a lot of clips on the StandUpToCancer YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/standuptocancerUK/videos

Presumably excluding all of the Davina gurning. :D

Fair play to her, she is a capable presenter, and hosting something like that is one of the tougher jobs in presenting, especially given the length, but she's turning into a parody of herself. It's a shame they couldn't have got a couple of other presenters in to host an hour or so of it. They had Jonathan Ross in the studio, and he's a better presenter and interviewer than Carr, yet he was wasted as one of his guests.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I liked the Andy Murray,Alan Hill, Gogglebox stuff, the rest I could have done with out. Raising £14m for any charity is amazing, I just hope the entire £14m is spent properly
  • Options
    Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    What an absolute farce this has been from the very start!

So bad you sat and watched it all from the very start! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the Andy Murray,Alan Hill, Gogglebox stuff, the rest I could have done with out. Raising £14m for any charity is amazing, I just hope the entire £14m is spent properly

They said 100% of the money raised is going to the charity, Cancer Research, and they are a well established charity, so I don't think there is much to worry about there.

The production costs are presumably all met by C4 as they would for an evening of normal programming, so that should put an end to all of the 'what about those iPads?' comments, although I noticed a Product Placement logo, so it's possible they were paid to use them! :p

I have to say I think the 'Telethon Towers' bits were well put together too. It's usually a bit of a cliche, and it kind of took the mickey out of that, and provided a good opportunity for a whole load of people who couldn't be there on the night to get involved, and therefore ensure their fans tuned in too.

The auditions process for "The Andy Murray Movie" was another clever way to get people involved from afar. It was quite obvious that a lot of the auditionees had been filmed by their agent against a white wall, but that added to the charm.

I liked the idea of the children's choir, and it was a nice idea to get them to sing with a famous singer, but the song choice was wrong. It was a bit too tough for a novice choir for their first big performance.
  • Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think she's a decent presenter. I doubt you could present at even a fraction of her standard.

All I would need to do is be able to read an autocue without pulling stupid faces.

I think I could manage that.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already commented about this n the Gogglebox thread, so all I can say (admittedly of the bit I watched before giving up and turning over) is that it was embarrassingly awful most of the time.
    Such a shame when SU2C was on behalf of such an important cause. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They said 100% of the money raised is going to the charity, Cancer Research, and they are a well established charity, so I don't think there is much to worry about there.

We all thought that for years about Children In Need
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all thought that for years about Children In Need

Which well established, stand-alone charity was CIN's donations supposed to be going to?
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So bad you sat and watched it all from the very start! ;)

No way, I haven't watch a program with ads for years. I simply fast forwarded it through to the bits I wanted to watch. It didn't take very long :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which well established, stand-alone charity was CIN's donations supposed to be going to?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/tim-walker/11159170/Children-in-Need-sitting-on-87705000.html

..and Terry Wogan gets paid
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a thread to discuss the telethon channel 4 tonight starts at 7pm until 2ami am looking forward to paul ogrady and kathy burke on googlebox

Trite rubbish for the usual cause.

Only wanted to watch Gogglebox as per but was subjected to hours of tedious emotional blackmail by a bunch of low grade presenters.

Not impressed at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes lets sod the charity, i want my tv show, unbelievable

You can't demand other people comply with your views.

Not everyone believes in these repulsive guilt-a-thons or even the specific cause.

"But its for charity", yeah, alright Smashie, have a day off.
  • Options
    Tarriq IbrahimTarriq Ibrahim Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I've fast forwarded my way through it this morning and didn't see the full Men Behaving Badly sketch?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you should be ashamed of yourself, in all honesty. Every advert I saw for it billed it as a telethon and said it would be studio based... but you're probably leaving out the truth so that it fits in with your propaganda.

I think if the "93" in your username indicates, as I suspect, your year of birth, then you aren't old enough or experienced enough to have a credible view.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Made my donation within the first 10 minutes but switched over as I also had problems with the EPG. I got fed up with Davina, Sinitta and co while waiting for the stuff I wanted to catch.
  • Options
    britchick_99702britchick_99702 Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    I think if the "93" in your username indicates, as I suspect, your year of birth, then you aren't old enough or experienced enough to have a credible view.

Wow! How condescending. Didn't realise you had to be over a certain age to have a viewpoint :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mirandha Hart is not a model.

She's not a comedian either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »

Somebody of 21 isn't entitled to a view??:o
    Doesn't mean I agree with theirs and I find it slightly uneducated view, but its a view their entitled to, just as they are allowed to vote
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Being a well established charity means nothing. The chief executive of Cancer Research earns a salary of almost 1/4 million pounds a year and there are multiple other directors and executives who's salaries total multiple millions every year.

Cancer Research's income last year was almost HALF A BILLION pounds so the money raised last night was realy a drop in the ocean. Still, it will pay for plenty of expensive lunches for the fatcats in suits.