Options

Lindsay Sandiford loses appeal against facing the Firing Squad

PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305654/Lindsay-Sandiford-WILL-executed-drug-smuggling-Bali-losing-death-sentence-appeal.html

It was actually decided last week but has only hit the media today.

She has 14 days to appeal it but from previous reports I have read I know the British Govt Depts are taking a step back from the case.

The prosecution seem surprised as they have never asked for the death penalty and she is being made an example of.

Do you think she will get saved at the last minute or will they stick by the original conviction? I can see Amnesty being up in arms at Downing Street if it goes ahead, however, I'm one of those who say's "Dont do the crime if you cant do the time".

What are your opinions on this latest development?

Comments

• Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see it ever happening. She hasn't come clean, is that right? She has obviously p****d them off a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    I think she admitted it and also gave names of other people involved hoping she would get a lesser sentence, which obviously hasn't happened.
    I can't see her being executed, she'll probably spend years going through appeals.
    I agree she knew the risks when she done it but I don't agree with her sentence.
  • Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She committed a very serious crime and was caught. She was sentenced according to the laws of that country. Good riddance to scum.
  • Options
    Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    blue34 wrote: »
    I agree she knew the risks when she done it but I don't agree with her sentence.

Agreed.

I don't agree with the death penalty in general but she surely knew what might happen if she got caught? What a risk to take...crazy and sad.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    The only odd thing is that the drugs runners who asked her to do it got off with a couple of years each. Surely if you're going to shoot one, you'd shoot all the people involved in the same case?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,317
    Forum Member
    Meh. We all know the rules over there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasnt she 'forced' into doing the crime due to a threat against her child/ren?

Its a very sad story i think. The other people caught were given much lessor sentances and as the prosecutio n werent asking for the death penalty, it seems such a harsh sentance.

Hope she gets let off the death penalty and maybe made to serve jail time instead for the crime
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    The only odd thing is that the drugs runners who asked her to do it got off with a couple of years each. Surely if you're going to shoot one, you'd shoot all the people involved in the same case?

As I stated, the prosecution did not even ask for the death penalty. She just pissed off the Bali authorities (and others) and in their words "showed no remorse".

Would be interesting to know exactly why they have taken such a dislike to her from a fly on the wall perspective.
  • Options
    cuddlykoalacuddlykoala Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Given the choice between life in a Bali prison or death I,d choose death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude1979 wrote: »

This was a claim she made but no evidence was found to support this.
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member

A very valid point. i have to say that I am all in favour of capital punishment generally as those who commit the offences should suffer accordingly.

This is all very well in a regulated country but then there are places like Mexico where the drug dealers themselves are killing everyone and anyone who opposes them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She knew the rules
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Hope she gets let off the death penalty and maybe made to serve jail time instead for the crime

I imagine it'll eventually get commuted to life imprisonment. That's normally what happens in these cases.

TBH, I think I'd rather take the firing squad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    She committed a very serious crime and was caught. She was sentenced according to the laws of that country. Good riddance to scum.

Isn't that the name of the newspaper you read?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HungerCult wrote: »
    Isn't that the name of the newspaper you read?

I don't read newspapers dear.
  • Options
    oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the choice between life in a Bali prison or death I,d choose death.

So would I. :eek: Prison over there is nothing like it is in soft-touch Britain with Sky TV, 3 meals a day and pool tables.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member

Its a very sad story i think. The other people caught were given much lessor sentances and as the prosecutio n werent asking for the death penalty, it seems such a harsh sentance.

It did make me wonder whether the people she informed on actually had only the smallest amount to do with the crime which would explain why they have not taken that into account with her sentence.
  • Options
    PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    She knew the rules

She did indeed, if you deal or transport drugs and get caught its the death penalty ........I have no sympathy at all for drug dealers in general.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with the death penalty but she took the risk and got caught.
  • Options
    Barry_JohnsonBarry_Johnson Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i know a lot of people seem to be of the opinion that rather than being some 'innocent' and harmless woman forced into doing it she was a lot further up the drug food chain than she let on.

certainly the reaction of our government and that of the indonesian authorities suggests they see her as more than just a smuggler doing it under duress to help out her son.

i believe the option to have the death penalty removed is there is she comes clean about her role.

not that i agree with that or anything.
  • Options
    JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »

Oh whatever. Serious crime ?
    Facing the firing squad is absolutely immoral.
    Only murderers should ever be killed for there crimes, as they took the gift of life from someone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    Only murderers should ever be killed for there crimes, as they took the gift of life from someone else.

ooo you're sexy when you're fired up. :D:p:eek:;)
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You don't think drugs take the gift of life from people?
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The others carried a few grammes her share was measured in kilogrammes.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Im sure drugs kill many people.

Im sorry but I don't have an awful lot of sympathy here. I am not a believer in the death penalty (although I could be swayed for Mick Philpott) but she knew what she was doing and only a fool would not know what would happen in that country if caught.