Options

Lindsay Sandiford loses appeal against facing the Firing Squad

Comments

• Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I certainly don't wish for her death, she hasn't got anyone else to blame for this but herself. Everyone knows the laws in these countries, and if you are willing to take the risk of getting caught, then I'm afraid you have to take the consequences.

I personally don't buy the excuse that her sons were being threatened unless she smuggled these drugs - go to the police in that case, or else move away. If her sons were totally innocent, law-abiding blokes, then I doubt they had mafia-type drug dealers or other big criminal gangs after them, or their mum.

I'm sure there is a lot more to this woman than we know at the moment, and I doubt this was her first attempt at drug smuggling.

That being said, I hope she isn't executed as it will cause suffering for her grandchildren and other family members who are innocent in all this, but I don't have much sympathy for the predicament she finds herself in.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    You don't think drugs take the gift of life from people?

If you've ever seen me after a weekend on the bing you would say that they do. Bleeuuurrggh
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    As I stated, the prosecution did not even ask for the death penalty. She just pissed off the Bali authorities (and others) and in their words "showed no remorse".

Would be interesting to know exactly why they have taken such a dislike to her from a fly on the wall perspective.
    Be careful as to which wall you stand in front of.
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the families of the drug addicts the drugs would've went to I feel sorry for. I feel no sympathy for this woman who did it for money.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    she knew what she was doing and only a fool would not know what would happen in that country if caught.

Yet there are more than 40 foreigners on Indonesia's death row after being convicted on drug charges.

Obviously, they thought they could get away with it. There will be more down the road who will think the same. Greed can be powerful enough to overrule common sense and decency.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    She's a complete fool for getting involved in it, in the first place.
    If I was in her situation though I'd rather death, than being in prison there.
  • Options
    PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you surprised the British Authorities are not doing more? Do you think they're correct in taking a step back?
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh dear another drug trafficker being punished , I think my give damn just broke
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    My husband and I were talking about this today and like we said what kind of people were in her circle? As we wouldnt get criminal gangs pestering us and forcing us to do this.
    I don't know the whole story but she knew if she got caught what would happen. I don't have any sympathy for her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    She's a complete fool for getting involved in it, in the first place.
    If I was in her situation though I'd rather death, than being in prison there.

Same here, a life sentence at her age probably means she'll die in prison there anyway.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... unlike the UK where life does not mean life.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if her son, who she claims she did it to protect, has bothered to go visit at all yet or has any plans to do so before the execution.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you surprised the British Authorities are not doing more? Do you think they're correct in taking a step back?

What can the UK do. They have no influence over the court.

William Hague has written to the judges though..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305171/William-Hague-urges-Indonesia-execute-British-grandmother-convicted-drug-smuggling.html
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude1979 wrote: »
    Wasnt she 'forced' into doing the crime due to a threat against her child/ren?

Its a very sad story i think. The other people caught were given much lessor sentances and as the prosecutio n werent asking for the death penalty, it seems such a harsh sentance.

Hope she gets let off the death penalty and maybe made to serve jail time instead for the crime
    Her child is an adult. Sounds a bit dodgy as well, going by former neighbours' accounts. And unlikely to be threatened unless involved in something.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Can't say I'm that fussed TBH.

At best she knew the risks and, if some reports are to be believed, at worst she was possibly a repeat offender who was living off the proceeds of similar actions.
  • Options
    LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Can't say I'm that fussed TBH.

At best she knew the risks and, if some reports are to be believed, at worst she was possibly a repeat offender who was living off the proceeds of similar actions.

You believe in killing people
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »
    You believe in killing people

In the broadest terms, yes.

In relation to capital punishment, specifically, I believe that foreign nationals who carry out crimes in countries which have the DP shouldn't expect to be treated differently to domestic criminals.
  • Options
    LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    In the broadest terms, yes.

In relation to capital punishment, specifically, I believe that foreign nationals who carry out crimes in countries which have the DP shouldn't expect to be treated differently to domestic criminals.

So do you believe in the death penalty in Britain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »
    So do you believe in the death penalty in Britain

Not really fussed TBH.

I sometimes wonder if it might be a good idea to offer it as an alternative for criminals with no hope of release.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might execute her. Two of the Bali Nine have now exhausted all their appeals and are slated to be shot.
  • Options
    PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They will be discussing whether Cameron should step in on The Wright Stuff on Ch5+1 in a minute
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't agree with the death penalty, but I find it difficult to have sympathy: (a) I don't believe her 'I did it to protect my son' story (the oldest excuse in the book) and (b) you have to be BONKERS to even think about smuggling drugs out there. Everyone knows the possible penalty. She did it to herself.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    The others carried a few grammes her share was measured in kilogrammes.

They were all in the same racket though. That they managed to get her to carry more of it is by the by.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    No sympathy sorry, Bali is a fantastic country, and they have a very strict anti-drugs policy, perhaps if we introduced those measures over here, it may slow down the importation of drugs onto our streets.

She has little excuse, for as long as I can remember and I'm going back to my childhood (30 years or so ago) it has been widely known, "you don't smuggle drugs into Far Eastern and Asian countries" they have the death penalty and they will use it.
  • Options
    SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she had got away with it then she would probably have been laughing all the way to the bank and lording it up over us wage slaves.
    She took a chance in order to make a lot of money in return for doing very little.

I have no sympathy for her.