Anyone done jury service?

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I did it recently, and it was a long trial. It was interesting seeing how it worked, but it was very boring too.

Did you find the person guilty or not guilty and how did it feel?
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused::confused::confused:

You're aware how it works, aren't you? Your posts don't read like you are.

They haven't offered themselves up for it, and by all accounts, they don't really want to do it. They're not saying they'd make a good juror, or saying that they want to do it. None of that.

And whether they should be a juror or not, is not their decision.

That's... sort of the point.

They can pretty much say anything - but it's up to the jury service and the courts to deem them unworthy - you can't withdraw yourself on the basis that "I was told I shouldn't be a juror on an online forum", or any other basis, either.

It's not their decision. Or mine. Or yours.

Otherwise a good 70% of us would be trying it.

Yes- I am aware how it works. I have done jury service twice.

You should NOT find someone not guilty simply because you feel sorry for them.

You must not have predetermined views. For instance- if you have had a bad experience with your local bank you must not automatically decide the bank manager in the dock must be guilty. If you vote Labour, and a conservative MP is in the dock you must not automatically find him guilty.

And, for instance, if you are a single mum finding it difficult to make ends meet- and the person in the dock accused of stealing £50 of food from the supermarket looks just like you- and it is on cctv- and the evidence is overwhelming- then you should NOT find that person not guilty simply because you feel sorry for them.

Having done two lots of jury service (4 separate trials) unfortunately you usually get one person on each jury who quite simply does not understand his or her responsibilities. Emotion shouldn't have any part in it. The judge will explain that at the time.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with juries and nothing wrong with people like me being on them. That is why having a jury is the fairest way.

You must be on a wind up.

How can a jury be a fair thing if people don't consider the evidence?

Most people are outraged if it is suggested juries should be done away with, but on any thread about them, it is full of people who don't want to do, and wont take it seriously.

That is magnified in the real world, and we end with juries made up of such people. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must be on a wind up.

How can a jury be a fair thing if people don't consider the evidence?

Most people are outraged if it is suggested juries should be done away with, but on any thread about them, it is full of people who don't want to do, and wont take it seriously.

That is magnified in the real world, and we end with juries made up of such people. :(

You must be on a wind up because I'm not
  • MaxBetaMaxBeta Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot do jury service as I am a practising solicitor. However, I've sat through many court cases in my time and they really are not as glamourous as the telly makes out. Tedious. I've seen jurors and judges nod off!

But a practising solicitor would know that solicitors are no longer exempt from jury service. That exemption went 10 years ago under the 2003 Criminal Justice Act. Hadn't you heard?
  • chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MaxBeta wrote: »
    But a practising solicitor would know that solicitors are no longer exempt from jury service. That exemption went 10 years ago under the 2003 Criminal Justice Act. Hadn't you heard?

Oh dear :blush:
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MaxBeta wrote: »

The first time I got called up was in the 1980s and I got out of it because I worked for a firm who's customers were Solicitors....that was good enough to be excused !

Second time was about 5 years ago and I'm in the same business but no way could I get out of it even tho' now I was a self employed sole trader

They tightened up the rules a lot
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    The first time I got called up was in the 1980s and I got out of it because I worked for a firm who's customers were Solicitors....that was good enough to be excused !

Second time was about 5 years ago and I'm in the same business but no way could I get out of it even tho' now I was a self employed sole trader

They tightened up the rules a lot
    Any particular reason why they tightened up the rules at lot? :confused:
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never want to do jury duty.

How do you get out of it??
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The views of many on here are replicated across the country, and these are the people we expect to study evidence, and give a fair judgement.

No wonder the defence prefer juries.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »

Other than having a mental health condition, I don't think you can.
  • bk2006bk2006 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mum got a letter through last week, she is really unwell under hospital at the moment, she couldn't commit, so will have to differ and then see about doing it in a year.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Other than having a mental health condition, I don't think you can.

There are other reasons, such as having a criminal record. This will all be explained in the correspondence you will have been sent.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/law_s/law_legal_system_s/law_taking_legal_action_s/jury_service_scotland.htm#h_being_a_juror

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juries_in_England_and_Wales#Eligibility_for_jury_service
    boddism wrote: »
    I never want to do jury duty.

You need a plausible valid reason. If you do get summoned, and feel you have a reason to not attend, explain to the relevant party or parties your situation. Again, this will all be explained in the correspondence you have received.
    brb wrote: »
    Never done jury duty. I'd like to, but on the other hand I would worry about how my decision would effect the person. What if we're wrong? I guess every single jury member feels like that though.
    How do people cope with this? Finding someone guilty and potentially ruing there life. Especially for something not serious.

That's why there are 12 jurors chosen from all walks of life, as they are picked randomly, so hopefully you'll get a balanced opinion in terms of the verdict.

=

ETA. If you can do jury service (*), do it. Most people I have talked to about the issue have found it to be a positive experience and it will give you a bit more insight into how the legal system works in the UK.

(*) I understand why some people are reluctant or unwilling to do so, e.g. incurring financial losses by not being able to work at the time, but it is a lot easier to be a juror than some people think. Also, if the Crown Court is anything like my local one, you'll be spoon fed, about what to do and not what to do.

Chances are you'll not have to attend court for the full two weeks anyway, unless it is a serious case and you can find out the previous day if you are required to attend or not, by phoning the court phone line the evening before. The pre-recorded message will state something like, juror members with juror numbers starting with (insert juror number or numbers) are required to attend court tomorrow, juror members with juror numbers starting with (insert juror number or numbers) are not required to attend court tomorrow.

ETA2. Also be prepared to be searched with a portable detector every time you enter the court. And don't turn up late, unless you want a dressing down by court officials.

ETA3. Dress code is pretty informal within reason. You don't have to turn up wearing a suit and tie, even shorts and a t-shirt are acceptable. Just make sure whatever you are wearing is appropriate for the occasion, i.e. not too revealing, in case that wasn't obvious. This is a court, not the local night club.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    Any particular reason why they tightened up the rules at lot? :confused:

I suppose too many people were getting out of it and maybe it appeared that juries were increasingly appearing not to be representative of 'the people'
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I suppose too many people were getting out of it and maybe it appeared that juries were increasingly appearing not to be representative of 'the people'
    Thanks for clarifying! ;)
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    I'd quite like to do jury service, i'm a Criminology student so it kind of aligns with my interests. Maybe something to write on my CV or whatever.