Should Melanie Sykes be sacked?

124»

Comments

• Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Also not on television either as he was neither an actor or known 'personality' at that time.

Didn't stop him becoming a well known soap profile, did it? If you can do that after murder, then an already popular (I use the term loosely) TV host can still remain on TV for something as comparatively 'menial' as an assault caution (note the word 'comparatively').

Seems bonkers but yep, she'll still be on your TV screen hosting more daytime dross in weeks and months to come.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Right I've been away, haven't read the new posts.

Ask this question again.
    Oh and is there actually any precedent for this, has a male presenter (of similar programs) done anything similar and been sacked or suspended.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure she isn't though?

Looking at the latest pics of her, she not got the looks any more, shame she was attractive when she was younger.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's already a double standard that most men on TV can grow old, bald, wrinkly and fat and keep their jobs and the women will be traded in for younger, prettier, slimmer models so to cry about a double standard working the other way is ridiculous.

That's the entertainment industry for you, incredibly sexist in many different ways.

But IMO, I don't see why someone's personal problems should have any bearing on their job. Especially when details of said personal problems are private and aren't known by forum posters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I caught a bit of this show in the gym earlier my thoughts were that the make up artist should be sacked as she looked like a clown and he has no TV appeal at all, ranting about dried mint :(

Didn't know about the assault. But any crime should be taken into context about the job. TV presenters have a public image to maintain and if your going on about perfect xmas meals and family life in a day time show you should really be decent people.

Hitting your spouse isn't a decent thing to do and I don't want to watch a person who commits assault on TV and can't image my pensioner mother who watches day TV approving either. And thats the issue - by keeping her on screen is ITV condoning assault and saying its okay? is the beeb condoning taking coke and saying its okay. If thats the case... what you end up with is kids reading these stories and seeing these 'public faces' carrying on be paid to be on TV thinking drugs and assault are okay.

She's on TV and setting a bad example - she should be sacked. Also its shows ITV in a bad light so she must be bad for business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now the old "kids" argument is dragged into the thread. Yawn.

If parents are allowing children to watch a TV show (god knows why they'd be interested in this one) and then go on to read tabloids full of speculation about the presenter's personal/sex/love life to take it as an example of how and how not to live your life then the parent is at fault.

Time lazy parents stopped blaming TV for the way their kids are brought up. Use the off switch and bring your kids up yourself.

I must be the only person who watches a show because I'm interested in the subject matter. The presenter is there to introduce it, read an auto cue etc. I couldn't give two figs about their personal life. I don't know them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no one said it was lazy parenting, and to presume its the parents fault, you live in a closed off world.

a teenager and friends picks up a tabloid, heat magazine on the way to school, reads it with mates. Hell they might have an app on their smart phone and reads about the likes of Nigella and Melanie. Then they go on half term or are just watching TV in their bedroom. Parents shouldn't have to worry about kids watching day time TV or cooking shows. After 9pm - maybe. But its lunchtime and that TV presenter that assaulted their husband is on TV talking about family dinners. Is that a good example?

Its nothing to do with parenting. If your happy to watch TV presented by drug takers, husband and wife batterers I'm guessing your okay with Rolf Harris coming back to do animal shows? after all, no one should be sacked for committing a crime right?
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    pac_girl wrote: »
    I caught a bit of this show in the gym earlier my thoughts were that the make up artist should be sacked as she looked like a clown and he has no TV appeal at all, ranting about dried mint :(

Didn't know about the assault. But any crime should be taken into context about the job. TV presenters have a public image to maintain and if your going on about perfect xmas meals and family life in a day time show you should really be decent people.

Hitting your spouse isn't a decent thing to do and I don't want to watch a person who commits assault on TV and can't image my pensioner mother who watches day TV approving either. And thats the issue - by keeping her on screen is ITV condoning assault and saying its okay? is the beeb condoning taking coke and saying its okay. If thats the case... what you end up with is kids reading these stories and seeing these 'public faces' carrying on be paid to be on TV thinking drugs and assault are okay.

She's on TV and setting a bad example - she should be sacked. Also its shows ITV in a bad light so she must be bad for business.

'Won't somebody think of the Children?'
    That's one that never gets old :)

Ohh Monkey see, Monkey do.
    As Parents were known to say 'back in the day'
    'If Johnny jumped off the roof, would you copy him?'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it might seem like an old cliche but its worrying that people are happy to watch people who hit other people, and spend a fortune on drugs, on TV - the more you see it done by people in the public eye, the more acceptable it becomes in society in general. Kids might not go off hitting others, but it becomes less of an issue when they hear others do it, so it starts to become okay when it happens.

10 years ago, male or female - they would have been sacked on the spot for giving the employer a bad image. So acceptance of this kind of thing is already happening - starts with the kids.. so doesn't the future look bright...?
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I find her really crass, just looked at her twitter
    Melanie Sykes ‏@MsMelanieSykes 14h
    Morning you Christmas Crackers! How are your Yule logs and holly bushes this morning? 😜 xxxxxxxxx

^_^
  • Options
    LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    There's already a double standard that most men on TV can grow old, bald, wrinkly and fat and keep their jobs and the women will be traded in for younger, prettier, slimmer models so to cry about a double standard working the other way is ridiculous.

That's the entertainment industry for you, incredibly sexist in many different ways.

But IMO, I don't see why someone's personal problems should have any bearing on their job. Especially when details of said personal problems are private and aren't known by forum posters.

Well said. There's a double standard here on double standards!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teenagers and kids are two different types of person, you seem to be merging the two together in your posts. Which are we discussing?

Teenagers are old enough to have been brought up not using tat like Heat magazine as the bible on how to live life.

Most "kids" aren't interested in the cookery host let alone their personal life. Maybe teach your kids there's a world of difference between real life and the speculation in rags like the tabloids.

Again, it's not the TV's job to bring up your kids. No one said get them to avoid all forms of media, but it's your job to inform their attitudes towards it. For example, my sister always enjoyed reading celebrity gossip but only like I might enjoy watching a trashy film. For a brief bit of fictional entertainment, not as an influence on our morals.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was doing the show with Gino for Christmas.. she looked hot but really, she doesn't deserve to keep her job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Teenagers and kids are two different types of person, you seem to be merging the two together in your posts. Which are we discussing?

Teenagers are old enough to have been brought up not using tat like Heat magazine as the bible on how to live life.

Most "kids" aren't interested in the cookery host let alone their personal life. Maybe teach your kids there's a world of difference between real life and the speculation in rags like the tabloids.

Again, it's not the TV's job to bring up your kids. No one said get them to avoid all forms of media, but it's your job to inform their attitudes towards it. For example, my sister always enjoyed reading celebrity gossip but only like I might enjoy watching a trashy film. For a brief bit of fictional entertainment, not as an influence on our morals.

same thing. Both teenagers and kids are influenced by the world around us, they pick up cues on whats acceptable behaviour or not. Blimey adults do it too.

And it has nothing to do with parenting - you keep bringing parenting up. A person who is learning about the world and whats acceptable behaviour sees someone on TV talking about families, meals, cooking and homely stuff - this smiley person they know is someone who hits their spouse.

Hitting your spouse is wrong, besides being a criminal thing to do - its not actually a nice thing to do. What happy, nice person goes about beating up other people...but she's on TV looking all normal and happy - so that gives an image of - its okay to hit people. It desensitises people and sends the wrong message - to kids, teenagers and well everyone really that ITV accept that one of their employees in the public eye hits people. Makes ITV look bad also.

But your saying its down to the parents to tell kids that hitting people is wrong. So those younger people are being told its wrong but at the same time see these people on TV in a world of celebrity status with all the positive things associated with a celebrity life style? Angus Deaton shagged a prostitute and got sacked, there was a consequence, he made the Beeb look bad. He sorted himself out (maybe) and got re hire-red but there was a consequence to his illegal behaviour.

By your argument ITV could hire Rolf Harris and Stuart Hall when they get released and you'd watch them as what they do in their private life is their business...and its down to the parent to teach that abuse is wrong, but society has to do its part. These days no one really cares and lets anything go, like I say the future is bright ey?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    What a moronic thing to say. Seriously, what has Nigella done? Snorted a couple of lines of coke in her lifetime? I suspect there would hardly be anyone left on tv if you sacked everyone who has ever done that.

Allegedly, nothing has been proved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being publicly found guilty of child abuse is a bit different to having the tabloids speculate about your private life without the facts.
    pac_girl wrote: »
    same thing. Both teenagers and kids are influenced by the world around us, they pick up cues on whats acceptable behaviour or not. Blimey adults do it too.

And it has nothing to do with parenting - you keep bringing parenting up. A person who is learning about the world and whats acceptable behaviour sees someone on TV talking about families, meals, cooking and homely stuff - this smiley person they know is someone who hits their spouse.

Hitting your spouse is wrong, besides being a criminal thing to do - its not actually a nice thing to do. What happy, nice person goes about beating up other people...but she's on TV looking all normal and happy - so that gives an image of - its okay to hit people. It desensitises people and sends the wrong message - to kids, teenagers and well everyone really that ITV accept that one of their employees in the public eye hits people. Makes ITV look bad also.

But your saying its down to the parents to tell kids that hitting people is wrong. So those younger people are being told its wrong but at the same time see these people on TV in a world of celebrity status with all the positive things associated with a celebrity life style? Angus Deaton shagged a prostitute and got sacked, there was a consequence, he made the Beeb look bad. He sorted himself out (maybe) and got re hire-red but there was a consequence to his illegal behaviour.

That's a simplified, black and white view.

If a child has been brought up and is in their teen years believing "someone on the TV is wearing nice pretty clothes, drinking expensive champagne as a reward for doing this therefore this = the right thing to do" then I'm surprised they can walk and talk at the same time. No, you are not giving teenagers enough credit.

It's the nanny, mollycoddling attitude I can't stand. Of course society has to do its part, but presuming people are stupid enough to have to be blinded by a black and white view of good and bad is ridiculous.

Life is a bit more grey than that, things are blown out of proportion in the media, nobody's perfect, everyone makes mistakes, no one action defines a person or affects the rest of their life.

I just find teenagers are more intelligent than the much older generations will credit them for.

It has everything to do with parenting and education, if someone is raised with common sense and an intelligent attitude then they won't be so easily swayed by mindless daytime television.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    I find her really crass, just looked at her twitter
    Melanie Sykes ‏@MsMelanieSykes 14h
    Morning you Christmas Crackers! How are your Yule logs and holly bushes this morning? 😜 xxxxxxxxx

^_^

What a nice lady!, does she not learn..... Maybe she looking for her next job, Iceland advertising maybe!
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Allegedly, nothing has been proved.

No, she admitted in court that she has snorted coke a few times in the past.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    What a nice lady!, does she not learn..... Maybe she looking for her next job, Iceland advertising maybe!

Oh yes, bet she's gagging for a prawn ring.
  • Options
    thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually embarrassed she is even thought of as a 'TV Presenter' all she ever does is giggle and look pretty :p
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    No, she admitted in court that she has snorted coke a few times in the past.

But the accusations were that she had been a regular user.
  • Options
    thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »

Bloody hell! I think he maybe regretting his baby tantrum and, as for his criminal past....deport him...:)...a couple very much suited to each other
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    But the accusations were that she had been a regular user.
    The poster didn't reference that though. They just said she sorted a couple of lines of coke as a throw away remark so your reply makes no sense.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    They just said she sorted a couple of lines of coke

My type of woman. She must be up for a good time, and she's fit for an older girl.:D