iPhone 6 Live discussion 6pm Tuesday 9th September 2014

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
This thread is to discuss the official launch of the iPhone 6 at 6pm on Tuesday 9th September 2014.

Please do not post any rumors before the launch at 6pm as we have plenty of threads about that.

Useful Links:

Apple's Official Live Video:

http://www.apple.com/live/

In the likely event that the live stream gets overloaded there are some pictures and live updates from the event via live blogs.

Live Blogs:

Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/08/apple-liveblog-teaser-2014/

The Verge:

http://live.theverge.com/apple-iphone-iwatch-live-blog/

Anyone finding some useful blogs or alternative streams feel free to post them.

Please try not to argue :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Eagerly anticipated, cannot wait. :)
  • innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    It's difficult to see how any other event on earth could possibly match the importance of what will be unveiled today at the Flint Center. This will be one of the most amazing days ever. The world will stop for these announcements. I can't wait!
  • Peter_CarlosPeter_Carlos Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Well, I don't think that there is any need for discussion if iPhone 6 is going to show up I would say rather than discussing better would be to grab one :D
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    It's difficult to see how any other event on earth could possibly match the importance of what will be unveiled today at the Flint Center. This will be one of the most amazing days ever. The world will stop for these announcements. I can't wait!
    Can we dial the sarcasm down a little bit? ;-)

Of course it's a major launch; at least as big as the Samsung S5 for example. The iWatch is going to be the really interesting thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Do we have an idea of when it'll go on sale or when phone companies will start taking pre-orders. My o2 contract is up next week, so would like to grab this, depending on what is revealed today of course.
  • innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Can we dial the sarcasm down a little bit? ;-)

Of course it's a major launch; at least as big as the Samsung S5 for example. The iWatch is going to be the really interesting thing.

I'm not being sarcastic at all.

Based on everything I've heard from the likes of John Gruber, Jim Dalrymple, etc. this is going to be one of the most significant events in the history of Apple. This is as excited I've been in a long, long time. I've taken the day off work because I just can't concentrate on anything else today.

The wearable(s) Apple will announce will be really interesting. I fully expect Apple will blow everyone away today with what they are going to do with this technology.

I think today is the day Tim Cook truly makes his mark on Apple with all the amazing products and services we're expecting to be announced. We have carplay, home automation, health kit, Apple's next generation payment system, the list goes on and on and on. And demand for the new iPhones is going to be insane.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeeez guys...it's just a phone. Hardly revolutionary.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    toofast wrote: »
    Jeeez guys...it's just a phone. Hardly revolutionary.

As for the iwatch I find that an odd one. Whilst I support the idea of wearables (I have a pebble and am looking at a moto 360) I can't see that wearables would ever want to become too high volume. Do people really want the same watch as half their mates ? Watches have historically been a way of expressing individual taste. Whilst I can see lots of smartwatches each having a small percentage of the market all this talk of apple 'blowing away the competition' strikes me as odd.... Apple love to sell in volume but once everyone has the same watch surely it very much ceases to be 'cool'. A phone spends most of its time in your pocket but a watch is on display so its different. It would be like going out in the same T-shirt as most of my mates every day. Just seems wrong....
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    As for the iwatch I find that an odd one. Whilst I support the idea of wearables (I have a pebble and am looking at a moto 360) I can't see that wearables would ever want to become too high volume. Do people really want the same watch as half their mates ? Watches have historically been a way of expressing individual taste. Whilst I can see lots of smartwatches each having a small percentage of the market all this talk of apple 'blowing away the competition' strikes me as odd.... Apple love to sell in volume but once everyone has the same watch surely it very much ceases to be 'cool'. A phone spends most of its time in your pocket but a watch is on display so its different. It would be like going out in the same T-shirt as most of my mates every day. Just seems wrong....

Just like the iPhone ceased to be cool a long time ago since they are common as muck now.

I await with some anticipation as well with the phone's however. But I don't think they will blow the competition away with wearables if they do release an iwatch. I have the Samsung gear live android watch and I think it will be very hard to beat. Even the new moto 360 I don't think does.
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

I'm lost. Are you saying the iPhone 6 will be revolutionary ??? Are you calling someone out for suggesting that the 6 will just 'be a phone' as per the S5, the M8 etc ?

The original iPhone may or may not have been 'revolutionary' depending on what pre-existing hardware you decide to include/ignore or what features you deem important - you will certainly get mixed and heated responses in this one - but this thread is about the 6 isn't it ??

Interested to see if they have a novel 'killer feature' that has been sadly missing from new hardware from all companies recently. Late to the game on NFC, screen size, wearables. Already have the fingerprint security so o suspect that anything new on that front would look like a 'loss of faith' in the current approach. The overall design looks pretty standard (the new Samsung with its 'side screen' looks to have the novelty value cornered for actual design).

Wondering what the 'killer feature' could be. Even as an android user (and disliker of all things apple on moral grounds) its always interesting to see these releases.

Much more emphasis these days seems to be around software rather than hardware....

Although a new battery tech might stir things up ...
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm lost. Are you saying the iPhone 6 will be revolutionary ??? Are you calling someone out for suggesting that the 6 will just 'be a phone' as per the S5, the M8 etc ?

The original iPhone may or may not have been 'revolutionary' depending on what pre-existing hardware you decide to include/ignore or what features you deem important - you will certainly get mixed and heated responses in this one - but this thread is about the 6 isn't it ??

Interested to see if they have a novel 'killer feature' that has been sadly missing from new hardware from all companies recently. Late to the game on NFC, screen size, wearables. Already have the fingerprint security so o suspect that anything new on that front would look like a 'loss of faith' in the current approach. The overall design looks pretty standard (the new Samsung with its 'side screen' looks to have the novelty value cornered for actual design).

Wondering what the 'killer feature' could be. Even as an android user (and disliker of all things apple on moral grounds) its always interesting to see these releases.

Much more emphasis these days seems to be around software rather than hardware....

I think the implementation and use of technology will be the 'big' thing. Health and payment. Other phones have the technology, but seem to not know how to use it.

Bib, I wonder how you manage to buy anything from anyone :)
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I think the implementation and use of technology will be the 'big' thing. Health and payment. Other phones have the technology, but seem to not know how to use it.

My personal beliefs around this are best not being raised here at risk of derailing the thread into the usual style of debate ;) needless to say I have my reasons and you will have yours :)

Implementation of wear/phone/tablet is something that they could 'sell' I guess as they own and manage all the tech. Android has started this way with the android wear os but apple will always cope better as there are no third party aspects of the chain. Problem is that a lot of the tech for fitness etc isn't quite accurate enough to be much more than a novelty or 'guide'. Better integration of a pedometer is OK but if the pedometer isn't very accurate then its still just a 'toy'.

New sensors might be an option but in not sure what 'new' there is left as phones seem to have sensors galore already.

I'm back to the thought that any wow factor will be on software as opposed to hardware. Is sapphire screen going to be the big finale ?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

I was just being sarcastic. Think hardcore apple fan response but dripping with sarcasm.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »

Payment via NFC just hasn't taken off over here yet. It's widely used in Canada and Russia.
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    I was just being sarcastic. Think hardcore apple fan response but dripping with sarcasm.

OK. I can understand that :p
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if I'll get one but it will be interesting to hear about it. I went android last year but I'm always open to another iPhone if I like the sound if it. Androids great but it does have various bugs which are an annoyance. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Payment via NFC just hasn't taken off over here yet. It's widely used in Canada and Russia.

The payment by mobile infrastructure is missing here at the moment. Plenty of mobiles have NFC, and plenty of places have contactless terminals, but there are still very few if any legitimate ways to use a mobile for payment. There hasn't been much of a push for it. Visa were advertising payment by mobile on TV a whole year ago, with the caveat that it would arrive in December 2013. That eventually changed to just '2014', and now their website says that there are various trials going on.

If Apple can implement a payment system, allow iPhone users to have their stored card information available for mobile payments, use existing contactless terminals, and not require a top-up wallet system, the situation will be transformed almost instantly, at least for people with iPhones. Whether or not they actually do that remains to be seen.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The payment by mobile infrastructure is missing here at the moment. Plenty of mobiles have NFC, and plenty of places have contactless terminals, but there are still very few if any legitimate ways to use a mobile for payment. There hasn't been much of a push for it. Visa were advertising payment by mobile on TV a whole year ago, with the caveat that it would arrive in December 2013. That eventually changed to just '2014', and now their website says that there are various trials going on.

If Apple can implement a payment system, allow iPhone users to have their stored card information available for mobile payments, use existing contactless terminals, and not require a top-up wallet system, the situation will be transformed almost instantly, at least for people with iPhones. Whether or not they actually do that remains to be seen.

I think it will be hard for them. Look at passbook. Over here it's pretty much limited to paying for Starbucks purchases.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Visa were advertising payment by mobile on TV a whole year ago, with the caveat that it would arrive in December 2013. That eventually changed to just '2014', and now their website says that there are various trials going on.

I wonder if its a deal with Apple that dissuaded VISA from whatever big public plans they had brewing in 2013. I don't know of many of these 'trials' (Barclays have a 'stick a chip on the back of your phone' trial still ongoing I think :o )

In a couple of weeks contactless comes to London Underground, EE are saying that their NFC solution is compatible with it and there are rumours that Vodafone is going to be involved in that too.
    http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile-phones/22823/ee-cash-on-tap-contactless-payments-now-accepted-on-london-buses
    Forum Member
    I think it will be hard for them. Look at passbook. Over here it's pretty much limited to paying for Starbucks purchases.

I also suspect it would be a hard sell in the weeks after the (perceived or otherwise) iCloud 'breach'. If visa/MasterCard are locking their solution to a single hardware provider then they are ruling out the vast majority of the population.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never owned any Apple products but i am a lover of all things smartphone so will consider any smartphone regardless of its maker if the phone and its functions suits me and my tastes.

Having said i am excited about the announcement and to see what Apple bring to the table. Who knows, i may even be tempted... but that's a long shot.

I do hope Apple show tonight that they've come up with something new, innovative and possibly even game-changing as it can only drive the market forward and we all end up benefitting regardless of which phone we use.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's why I think it has to work with standard contactless readers already in shops, otherwise it'll never take off properly.
    I also suspect it would be a hard sell in the weeks after the (perceived or otherwise) iCloud 'breach'. If visa/MasterCard are locking their solution to a single hardware provider then they are ruling out the vast majority of the population.

According to reports, Apple have already done deals with Visa, Mastercard and Amex. It doesn't mean they'll be locking their solution to a single provider though.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I wonder if its a deal with Apple that dissuaded VISA from whatever big public plans they had brewing in 2013. I don't know of many of these 'trials' (Barclays have a 'stick a chip on the back of your phone' trial still ongoing I think :o )

In a couple of weeks contactless comes to London Underground, EE are saying that their NFC solution is compatible with it and there are rumours that Vodafone is going to be involved in that too.
    http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile-phones/22823/ee-cash-on-tap-contactless-payments-now-accepted-on-london-buses

Vodafone is happening next month apparently. Needs a new sim though

As for visa, it's been delayed but there are trials going on with it. They now day on their site launching 2014.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this! My contract is up in December :D