Price increase in September

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    I remain optimistic that Sky have a "cunning plan" that will bring a smile to the face of it's many loyal Sky Sports subscribers.;):)

You can bet your life on sky having a "cunning plan"
    The plan being to squeeze every last penny they can, out of Its loyal subscriber.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can bet your life on sky having a "cunning plan"
    The plan being to squeeze every last penny they can, out of Its loyal subscriber.

That is indeed their stated plan! Sky have managed to increase the Average Revenue Per User every year without fail. Like I said earlier in this thread they get an average of £503 per year from each subscriber.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    I don't know how true this is, but someone has reported this about Sky's general increase in September. Source. www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-sports/38042-sky-new-prices-september-1st.html
    Ian.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is indeed their stated plan! Sky have managed to increase the Average Revenue Per User every year without fail.

They're a business. I'm sure Tesco, Vodafone etc. have done the same.
  • rawlyrawly Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    THOMO wrote: »
    I don't know how true this is, but someone has reported this about Sky's general increase in September. Source. www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-sports/38042-sky-new-prices-september-1st.html
    Ian.

I have to say that if this proves to be true that you have to take Sky World Plus ESPN to get Free HD then that is very disappointing - and I don't see how those should be linked what-so-ever.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That does sound absurd unless Sky have secretly bought ESPN (:)) ....they put UP the ESPN sub (£9 pm to £10 pm) when ESPN have lost 50% of their EPL games (there are threads asking why ESPN has not gone DOWN - so an increase would be contentious in its own right).

I do feel the most likely result of all the recent shenanigans was always likely to be a free HD offer only if you took Sky World (though I naturally assumed that ESPN would not be involved). This will be step one and free HD for all will come eventually but it has to have a period of use as bait to hook in upgraders before that happens.

So it makes sense that the HD sub otherwise stays.

This is the best way for Sky to tempt upgrades and prevent downgrades.

I suppose the ESPN part (especially the rise) when added to the above inflation rise to Sky World and the news of a second rise still in January (ie all the current rise goes to Sky and none is offset against the coming VAT rise) means that Sky lose less than it seems as you will not be £10 pm better off come January - so the result is akin to halving the HD sub if you take everything into account as Sky will recoup the rest via above pro rata increases on Sky World and ESPN.

But if this list proves correct I am happy and it is shrewd business as it allows Sky to promote the fact that you get HD free if you take every channel that they offer.

Virgin's ad campaign is cut down with quite possibly no financial loss to Sky as it will tempt plenty of upgrades.

Wonder what this means for the multiroom HD sub as that is not mentioned in the list as far as I can see?
  • simon olivesimon olive Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    They're a business. I'm sure Tesco, Vodafone etc. have done the same.

I don't think they have. Correct me if I am wrong but mobile phone packages have come right down in price these days. As regards the supermarkets there are always 2 for 1 offers because of the competition.
    The problem with Sky is the lack of real competition and people just keep renewing year on year. Until the time comes when people start to cancel in big numbers they will increase prices all the time. I have cancelled Movies and Sport and I will try and view the footie on the internet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Good news for me then!

Are they not saying that if you do not have ESPN then you have to pay £10 for HD pack, so you might as well get ESPN anyway and the cost does not change - so ESPN = free for those on full pack with HD.

In other words all those on HD full pack will have ESPN going forward.
  • Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a suprise
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they going to offer a proper "zero" mix yet? Add Sky Sports with just free channels for the retail price and not £1 cheaper?
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has that post on Sky User been confirmed as I see several corrections to its stated prices have been mooted based on what is on the Sky site - suggesting that it might be just supposition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has that post on Sky User been confirmed as I see several corrections to its stated prices have been mooted based on what is on the Sky site - suggesting that it might be just supposition.

I agree , I think it is a rumour based on a rumour.
  • bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1mix £19 --> 6mix £24 [the expected £1 increase].
    0mix +movies 1 or 2 £26 --> 6mix +movies 1 or 2 £32 [up £1 too].
    0mix +movie mix £34 --> 6 mix + movie mix £40 [up £1 too].
    0mix + sports 1 or 2 £29 [Note the published £3 increase], 1 mix + sports 1 or 2 £31 [this increase is £4!] --> 6mix + sports 1 or 2 £36.
    0mix + sports mix £38 --> 6mix + sports mix £44 [again a £3 increase].
    0mix + 1 sport +1 movie £36 --> 6 mix + 1 sport +1 movie £42 [a £2 rise].
    0mix with sports mix + 1 movie or movie mix + 1 sport £41 --> 6mix with sports mix + 1 movie or movie mix + 1 sport £47 [a £2 rise].
    0 mix "World" pack £45 --> Sky World £51 [a £2.50 rise].

Correct new Sky prices.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    THOMO wrote: »
    Ian.

That says movies are going up which from what I saw on the sky web page is not so, so puts doubt in any of whats said on that posting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    That says movies are going up which from what I saw on the sky web page is not so, so puts doubt in any of whats said on that posting

Yes, lots of mistakes on that post. ;)
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who gave you the info VM CS staff ?

What info? There is nothing to give, Sky will not drop the HD charge as it will cause a big drop in revenue and annoy shareholders.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    jwball wrote: »
    What info? There is nothing to give, Sky will not drop the HD charge as it will cause a big drop in revenue and annoy shareholders.
    If Virgin continue to provide and promote "free HD" (while getting more channels) then there will also be a large drop in Sky revenue (as users defect) and annoyed shareholders!
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone have any confirmed info? We normally receive the Sky magazine towards the end of the month (20th) don't we?
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jwball wrote: »

That is my point ;)

See the services the poster I questioned actually takes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    If Virgin continue to provide and promote "free HD" (while getting more channels) then there will also be a large drop in Sky revenue (as users defect) and annoyed shareholders!

Go read the outrage in the cable forum. It looks like Virgin are going to charge £7 extra per month per box for customers wanting Sky Sports or Movies in HD, so doesn't look like the HD charge will be going anywhere on Sky either.