Top Of The Pops 1977 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I too didn't buy many singles, but my first was 'The Theme From CHiPs'.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I too didn't buy many singles, but my first was 'The Theme From CHiPs'.

He he..Class! :D
    Forum Member
    ClareB wrote: »
    Barry wasn't on my radar until these TOTP repeats, so I couldn't believe it when I was watching a TOTP from 1981 the other day and he popped up on there! For anyone interested, he was wasn't still wearing the 70s gear, but still as big.
    Looking forward to catching up on this later tonight.

Good spot Clare. I'd never have guessed he was still around in '81! Sure enough, he just missed the Top 40 in June with "Wide Awake In A Dream". I've no recollection of that performance. See, you learn something new every day!! :D
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think rock me gently by andy kim was the very first single i ever bought (on the capitol label if i can remember :) ),i did'nt get too much pocket money so i think it was a POP EX (ex Jukebox)think my first proper full price single bought from woolies was rock the boat by The Hues Corporation
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know my first singles are Paul Young Love Of The Common People and Culture Club Victims. I'm sure I must have got a voucher for WH Smiths for Christmas that year and used it for them.
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    I think rock me gently by andy kim was the very first single i ever bought (on the capitol label if i can remember :) ),i did'nt get too much pocket money so i think it was a POP EX (ex Jukebox)think my first proper full price single bought from woolies was rock the boat by The Hues Corporation

Ah, I bought many a single in Woolies (RIP).
    'Rock The Boat' is a great track! :)
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, I bought many a single in Woolies (RIP).
    'Rock The Boat' is a great track! :)

Rock The Boat is brilliant ;)
    Forum Member
    I know my first singles are Paul Young Love Of The Common People and Culture Club Victims. I'm sure I must have got a voucher for WH Smiths for Christmas that year and used it for them.

Memories of Christmas '83! I bought LOTCP too. That was also when the very first "Now That's What I Call Music" was released (November 1983 I think). It had loads of No.1's on it. It became the 'daddy' of chart compilation albums. And still is to this day! :)
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Ah, we were young Rich...that's our excuse and we're sticking to it!! :p

I was a late developer in the 'buying singles' thing! The first single I bought on my own with my own money was John Lennon's "Imagine" in December 1980 when I was 11.
    You wouldnt be telling us porkies now would you? Are you sure it wasn't the record that preceeded it at number one in December 1980? ;)

My first single was Substitute by Clout!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    You wouldnt be telling us porkies now would you? Are you sure it wasn't the record that preceeded it at number one in December 1980? ;)

How wonderful it is to be young ;) My first single was "Can't Buy Me Love" by The Beatles because my Dad liked it and it made him rent a record player (yes, rent, folks, from Red Arrow)....
    Forum Member

He he, nah it certainly wasn't. :eek: I bought 'Imagine at the very end of the year with my Christmas money. I was gutted because if it hadn't been for THEM!!! John would have had 3 consecutive number one's uninterrupted from "(Just Like) Starting Over" to "Woman". And you could have thrown "Happy Christmas (War Is Over) into the mix.
    You'd never guess I'm a big John Lennon fan. ;)
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    How wonderful it is to be young ;) My first single was "Can't Buy Me Love" by The Beatles because my Dad liked it and it made him rent a record player (yes, rent, folks, from Red Arrow)....

What a fantastic era to be buying singles for the first time! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a fantastic era to be buying singles for the first time! :)

hehe: the the 45 got a chip in it and you had to put the stylus further on LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    hehe: the the 45 got a chip in it and you had to put the stylus further on LOL

I used to have to put a 2p piece on the tone arm of my Fidelity record deck to play some 7"s, in one in particular I recall was Lucky Number by Lena Lovich, which skipped in one particular place. Whenever I hear it now I still recall exactly the place it jumped!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used to have to put a 2p piece on the tone arm of my Fidelity record deck to play some 7"s, in one in particular I recall was Lucky Number by Lena Lovich, which skipped in one particular place. Whenever I hear it now I still recall exactly the place it jumped!

You would and you will remember that all your life;)
    Forum Member

Lol..the old 2p on the arm trick!! :D
    I used that one on poor old Eddy Grant's 12" of "I Don't Wanna Dance". It ultimately killed the record in the end...as well as the needle! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol..the old 2p on the arm trick!! :D
    I used that one on poor old Eddy Grant's 12" of "I Don't Wanna Dance". It ultimately killed the record in the end...as well as the needle! :(

Strange! 12" singles always were more robust, and sounded better, was the 12" mix different from the 7" ?

Quite often in the 80's they were identical and a rip off, but it was always 'cooler' to have the 12"!
  • eyeblinkeyeblink Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Nice show for bassists tonight, with both Thin Lizzy and Fleetwood Mac's songs driven by prominent bass lines.

Yours, a (very much) learning bassist.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Record tokens at Christmas! These are the things that were meant to be responsible for making all those songs that had been falling down the charts before Christmas suddenly move back up a little bit in that weird little time just after the festive season. Well that's what I recall the chart DJ's saying anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Ah, we were young Rich...that's our excuse and we're sticking to it!! :p

I was a late developer in the 'buying singles' thing! The first single I bought on my own with my own money was John Lennon's "Imagine" in December 1980 when I was 11. That's when I discovered the chart big time and, of course, there was no turning back after that.
    Goodness knows how many singles I bought between December 1980 and around December 1985. A ridiculous amount. They're boxed away somewhere!! :)

Although I know my first ever record, as I mentioned, I have no certainty what the second was, and looking through the old vinyl it seems that it was another 5 years until I bought a Bowie single, which seem very strange to me. Can only put it down to all that illegal radio taping which I have got all the evidence of, with special care to avoid any voices between the singles, which meant I never bothered much with buying singles which I could not afford anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The St Winifred's School Choir had a part to play on the Brian & Michael hit I believe. So they could claim to be one hit wonders twice!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    The St Winifred's School Choir had a part to play on the Brian & Michael hit I believe. So they could claim to be one hit wonders twice!

No

27th Dec 80 SWSC
    10th Jan 81 John Lennon - Imagine

You're thinking of Just Like Starting Over?
    Forum Member
    Strange! 12" singles always were more robust, and sounded better, was the 12" mix different from the 7" ?

Quite often in the 80's they were identical and a rip off, but it was always 'cooler' to have the 12"!

The 12' of "I Don't Wanna Dance" was just a slightly extended version. :sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No

27th Dec 80 SWSC
    10th Jan 81 John Lennon - Imagine

You're thinking of Just Like Starting Over?

I was thinking that, and edited myself a different comment, but you noticed.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Indeed! They sang backing vocals on 'Matchstalk Cats And Dogs' though it was a completely different line up. But it could make the act a two hit one hit wonder!