Oscars winner who you think didn't deserve their statues

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    On an entirely unrelated note, I'm glad no one's mentioned Heath Ledger (I think) because it really riles me when people who haven't seen the film think he only got the Oscar because of his death. He would and should have won that Oscar in any year under any circumstances.

Oh someone did. First reply. :sleep:

He richly deserved that award.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah that upsets me about Heath. He would of been well and truly alive to have won that oscar. He never won because he died. It was a truly haunting performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joaquin Phoenix should have won this year instead of DDL.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moireen wrote: »

As he claims to hate the concept of Oscars so much, he might have done a George C Scott, or Marlon Brando, and refused to accept it:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I much preferred his performance in Walk the line, that should of been his oscsar win,
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member

Even though I err on the side of DDL, I wouldn't have been unhappy with Phoenix winning it. Not sure about the film itself, but the acting by the two main actors was excellent.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Someone on AICN made the point that DDL is playing someone we already know, albeit only in a historical sense. Whereas JP's Freddie is an entirely new construct. Which actor had the tougher job is open for debate.

I wouldn't question DDL for There Will Be Blood though. Daniel Plainview is essentially an empty shell of a man. How DDL threw in a performance that was anything but empty is something we will always marvel at.

However, it's been said that his performance in My Left Foot is closer to just impersonating symptoms than actualy acting a fully fleshed-out role, and at a push I'd be inclined to agree.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much preferred his performance in Walk the line, that should of been his oscsar win,

That was the year Philip Seymore Hoffman won for Capote. If anyone else should have won that year it was Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain....
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennifer Lawrence....Watts, Chastain and Riva deserved it more.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ImOnlyWee wrote: »
    Jennifer Lawrence....Watts, Chastain and Riva deserved it more.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to say one of those who only won 3 days ago!

I disagree entirely, Lawrence deserved her Oscar.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watts deserved it more than Lawrence? Hah, please. I'd listen to arguments for Chastain and particularly Riva, but Watts? No way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    That was the year Philip Seymore Hoffman won for Capote. If anyone else should have won that year it was Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain....

Oh yeah it was

Come to think of it, all three of those men could of won. They were both outstanding performances.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wondered how long it would take for someone to say one of those who only won 3 days ago!

I disagree entirely, Lawrence deserved her Oscar.

I agree. When I watched the film, I though that Jennifer owned her scenes with Robert De Niro - which made me think that she was on her way to an Oscar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah it was

Come to think of it, all three of those men could of won. They were both outstanding performances.

David Strathairn was also terrific in Good Night and Good Luck (Terence Howard was rather making up the numbers for Hustle and Flow). It was a strong year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer Lawrence. Compare it to recent female performances in film that was Oscar winning. Marion Cotillard for La Vie En Rose, Charlize Theron for Monster, Cate Blanchett for The Aviator, Anne Hathaway for Les Mis.

I fail to see how Jennifer won for lead actress. She's a good actress but that should have gone to either Jessica or Naomi.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Sandra Bullock over Gabby Sidibe
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sandra Bullock winning BLA. Eeew. Gross.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Jennifer Lawrence didn't deserve her oscar??? Really people come off it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer Lawrence didn't deserve her oscar??? Really people come off it.

i once came across someone who thought Gregory Peck didn't deserve his Oscar for "to kill a mockingbird" so it's not the oddest thing I've seen suggested ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    i once came across someone who thought Gregory Peck didn't deserve his Oscar for "to kill a mockingbird" so it's not the oddest thing I've seen suggested ;)

I just wonder what drugs they are on :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wonder what drugs they are on :)

sometimes it's just a case of people wanting to be controversial i think....;)