Will Radio One playlist Britney?

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Work Bitch.

She was there last week with Nick Grimshaw.
But will they actually playlist her?

She has been shunned since Hold It Against Me.

I have a feeling we will get another `she isn't relevant` lecture.
Much like the Robbie Williams debacle.

Though she is relevant enough to have on as a guest....

Comments

• LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    They playlisted Scream and Shout so it's possible but I don't expect that they will :(.
  • dephanix02dephanix02 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I think they'll only playlist her once she releases the (apparent) collaboration with Gaga. They'll have no option but to.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should the song is radio 1 friendly and she is a big name even if her relevancy has dropped it should be on the basis of the songnot age of the artist.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This ageist thing at radio 1 really annoys me. I know they have a target audience but why don't they get one of their phoney newsbeat presenters to go take a little poll from under 25s and see if they actually listen to artists based on age? I think they will find it out it doesn't matter so much!

Obviously they aren't going to be many listening to someone like Elton John for example but Robbie Williams still makes music that the majority of under 25s will listen to. and many under 25s would have been fans of Robbie Williams when they were younger.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The age thing can sometimes be a smokescreen. The likes of Jay-Z and Coldplay managed to get on the Radio 1 playlist, despite their ages. It all depends on who's fighting your corner for selection, especially within the station itself.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would snub britney's Work bitch if i had my own radio station.
    Let's hope the songs that follow are much better and then they may play her
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would snub britney's Work bitch if i had my own radio station.
    Let's hope the songs that follow are much better and then they may play her

Unlucky for you but luckily for us you don't.

They should playlist her its a catchy radio friendly club banger that suites radio 1.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unlucky for you but luckily for us you don't.

They should playlist her its a catchy radio friendly club banger that suites radio 1.

Yes, but if they don't like the song, they are not gonna play it. It's irelevant how catchy it is.
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should C-List it just as a token of appreciation. They had her on and she made a big effort for them to be fun (Don't shout me down about how she was limited, because for Britney it was fun.) They would have banked on her to get more listeners and up their ratings.

Work Work is very current, as well. It would be good to have it playing.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin Thicke is 35 years old and was the hit of the summer with Daft Punk who've been around for over 10 years, Britney is around 31, JT gets airplay and he's the same age as Britney right? So I think she's in safe hands
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Robin Thicke is 35 years old and was the hit of the summer with Daft Punk who've been around for over 10 years, Britney is around 31, JT gets airplay and he's the same age as Britney right? So I think she's in safe hands

nope. Men on radio one are *usually* immune from the ageist issue.
    women however dont get the same luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They playlisted Scream and Shout so it's possible but I don't expect that they will :(.

well, i actually dont think they were going to, it only appeared on the playlist AFTER it had been released and was heading for number one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    nope. Men on radio one are *usually* immune from the ageist issue.
    women however dont get the same luck.

Although Robbie Williams fell foul of the Radio 1 playlist too? Essentially, it's down to who they think is 'cool'. That's why JT still gets playlisted, and Robbie doesn't. Madonna was playlisted well into her 40's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    Although Robbie Williams fell foul of the Radio 1 playlist too? Essentially, it's down to who they think is 'cool'. That's why JT still gets playlisted, and Robbie doesn't. Madonna was playlisted well into her 40's.

hence why i said usually
    and the ageist thing has been for the past 4/5 years. and they have not playlisted madonna for a good 5 years.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It would be good if they did, but I can't see it happening :(
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    This ageist thing at radio 1 really annoys me. I know they have a target audience but why don't they get one of their phoney newsbeat presenters to go take a little poll from under 25s and see if they actually listen to artists based on age? I think they will find it out it doesn't matter so much!

Obviously they aren't going to be many listening to someone like Elton John for example but Robbie Williams still makes music that the majority of under 25s will listen to. and many under 25s would have been fans of Robbie Williams when they were younger.

Its insane isnt it?

The biggest songs of 2013??

Get Lucky- Daft Punk- Ages, 39 & 38, with Nile Rogers- 61
    Blurred Lines- Robin Thicke- age: 36 ft Pharell -age: 40

They love jay-Z & eminem at R1, theyre both in their 40's.

Will.i.am gets a lot of attention- hes 38.

Dance darling David Guetta is 45.

So ageism is only relevant for certain artists at radio1. They cant even be consistently ageist!!:rolleyes:
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Its insane isnt it?

So ageism is only relevant for certain artists at radio1. They cant even be consistently ageist!!:rolleyes:

Its about the music they make. If they're making bubble-gum pop music obviously they won't get playlisted. A 40 year-old that releases something like California Gurls obviously won't get playlisted, but a 40 year-old that releases something like **** in Paris would.

Also, Radio 1's target demographic are a minority of the people that legally download, so they shouldn't put too much emphasis on the charts when deciding what songs to playlist imo.

I agree with what that poster was saying though. I'm 21, and people like Robbie Williams, Madonna, Christina Aguilera, etc. were big pop stars only a few years ago during my senior school and college years. So they're definitely not irrelevent to people my age. But it depends on the music they do I guess, if they're doing adult contemporary music or dance-pop then Radio 1 shouldn't playlist them, since those types of music appeal more to older people, rather than people my age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Its insane isnt it?

For the FINAL TIME. ageist against WOMEN !!

Denying it would be ignorance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i might add weasel boy Conor Maynard made the A list, so if Britney doesnt even get C list, thats just embaressing.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the FINAL TIME. ageist against WOMEN !!

Denying it would be ignorance.

P!nk's 34 and had all four Truth About Love singles playlisted.

Nicki Minaj, Kelly Clarkson, Alicia Keys and Katy Perry (29 in five days) have also all been playlisted by Radio One within the last 18 months; while the thirty-two year old Beyonce will also undoubtedly receive heavy backing when she returns as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    P!nk's 34 and had all four Truth About Love singles playlisted.

Nicki Minaj, Kelly Clarkson, Alicia Keys and Katy Perry (29 in five days) have also all been playlisted by Radio One within the last 18 months; while the thirty-two year old Beyonce will also undoubtedly receive heavy backing when she returns as well.

Nicki minaj and Katy perry are still very young :confused:

Kelly clarkson is playlisted on and off.

And yes I am amazed they playlist pink, every time I saw her name I was amazed.
    They are ageist against women. There is no denying it,
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicki minaj and Katy perry are still very young :confused:

Kelly clarkson is playlisted on and off.

And yes I am amazed they playlist pink, every time I saw her name I was amazed.
    They are ageist against women. There is no denying it,

Nicki's only a year younger than Britney! And Katy's only a year younger than Britney was when she released Femme Fatale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hence why i said usually
    and the ageist thing has been for the past 4/5 years. and they have not playlisted madonna for a good 5 years.

Nope. A lot of older acts, mainly male, were barred from the Radio 1 playlist in the 90's, basically because they weren't 'cool' anymore, irregardless of their past history. That's why Madonna has a hard time now as the current Radio 1 playlist team don't see her as relevant to modern youth culture. Someone like Pink shows that if you make a song that connects with the Radio 1 playlist team, it doesn't matter what your age is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shes not on the playlist !!
    im disgusted .
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    Nope. A lot of older acts, mainly male, were barred from the Radio 1 playlist in the 90's, basically because they weren't 'cool' anymore, irregardless of their past history. That's why Madonna has a hard time now as the current Radio 1 playlist team don't see her as relevant to modern youth culture. Someone like Pink shows that if you make a song that connects with the Radio 1 playlist team, it doesn't matter what your age is.
    What guys were banned out of interest?