Options

BBC Provisionally Schedule Christmas Who at Teatime

2»

Comments

• Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    It'd be nice, but surely the BBC will insist on depressing the hell out of everyone with EastEnders sometime in the middle of the evening.

EastEnders really sticks out like a sore thumb doesn't it. Even when it was good it always felt uncomfortable surrounded by all the other light entertainment and family drama programs. You can see the BBC going for the whole variety, family entertainment feel and then the duff duffs kick in and you know that you're going to be in for an hour of depressing guff, probably lots of people shouting at each other, maybe a death if we're lucky. Totally kills the mood for me.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    EastEnders really sticks out like a sore thumb doesn't it. Even when it was good it always felt uncomfortable surrounded by all the other light entertainment and family drama programs. You can see the BBC going for the whole variety, family entertainment feel and then the duff duffs kick in and you know that you're going to be in for an hour of depressing guff, probably lots of people shouting at each other, maybe a death if we're lucky. Totally kills the mood for me.

It would be nice if one year both ITV and BBC agree to not show soaps on Christmas Day. Think of the variety of programming we could have:

BBC1

3.10 Film
    4.40 Film
    6.05 BBC News
    6.15 Open All Hours
    6.45 Doctor Who
    7.45 Strictly
    8.45 Miranda
    9.15 Call The Midwife
    10.30 Mrs. Browns Boys

ITV

3.10 Film
    5.00 ITV News
    5.15 Surprise Surprise Christmas Special
    6.15 Off Their Rockers at Christmas
    6.45 Paul O' Gradys Life of Dogs
    7.45 Downton Abbey
    9.15 ITV News
    9.30 Vicious
    10.00 The South Bank Show

Real variety in the schedules. Soaps certainly do dictate lacklustre schedules these days. I'd limit DA to 90 minutes aswell.
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Toy Story 1 premiered at 4.45pm in 2001. Toy Story 2 premiered at 4.30pm in 2005. All 3.10pm films for the last few years have failed to get more than 5.5m viewers.

Ahh. Got you. The article I read implied it was the same slot.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I'd like it to air after 6pm but considering how well The Snowmen did during a 5.15pm timeslot, I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC aired it there again.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    I think when a programme airs matters less these days than it used to now we have PVRs and catch up services like BBC iPlayer.

Sure, overnights grab the attention at first, but the totals after all delayed viewings and downloads have occurred must matter more.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who watches Doctor Who on Christmas Day? Seriously? If I dared watch it on broadcast it would be:

1. I watch it, but have to put up with family around who talk over it, and ask questions.
    2. I watch it, but get grief for doing so as "Christmas is about family".

So much easier to record it and watch before the new year.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call The Midwife and Strictly are bigger ratings-pullers during their series' run, so that's why they merit their slots. If more people watched Who on it's first viewing throughout the year then it would stand a chance of nicking one of those spots. Plus, Toy Story 3 is perfectly placed for Christmas dinner, as it follows on from the Queen's speech and should comfortably beat whatever ITV is showing at that time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Teatime suits us perfectly - turkey sandwiches and Dr Who, it's win-win! :)
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From a completely selfish viewpoint I would love it on a little later. We go to family for dinner but leave in time to get home for DW. A teatime start makes it a bit of a rush. If it was on just a little later we could spend a little more time with family and have time to get home, in jammies, get the cold turkey, cheese and pickles ready before settling down to watch.

That sounds awful - putting DW before the extended family but as we're all DW fans (Mr T is a huge fan so inevitably the kids are too. I wasn't so keen but they have lured me in and i'm often the chief instigator of vintage DW marathons of a weekend) so not watching it 'live' is not an option. It's our second biggest highlight of Xmas Day, after finding out what Santa brought. So although the early showing isn't ideal we will arrange our day round it with no major problem.

Kind of dreading it though. I know I'll foof and cry which mortifies our 6 year old. He was affronted when I welled up in the cinema at the Doctors lined up in DOTD. :-D
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »

But despite all of that, it somehow manages to pull in the viewers.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I love Strictly but we never bother with the Christmas special. Its a show about an ongoing competition so a one-off always seems a bit pointless.

A shame, also, that the Beeb always seems to promote Christmas Strictly above an original drama.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    3.10 Gangsta Granny
    4.10 EastEnders
    5.10 BBC News
    5.25 Film Premiere: Toy Story 3
    7.00 Doctor Who
    8.00 Strictly Come Dancing
    9.15 Call The Midwife
    10.30 Mrs. Browns Boys
    11.05 BBC News
    11.15 Michael McIntyre: Showtime

How about that schedule?

No chance. Eastenders will never be shown that early. And where's Open All Hours?
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    Who watches Doctor Who on Christmas Day? Seriously? If I dared watch it on broadcast it would be:

1. I watch it, but have to put up with family around who talk over it, and ask questions.

You need to put your foot down. In my house everyone knows it's silence whilst Dr Who is on, even on Xmas Day.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    You need to put your foot down. In my house everyone knows it's silence whilst Dr Who is on, even on Xmas Day.

We once agreed to go to a mate's house Christmas night on the firm understanding that Doctor Who was non-negotiable.

She called the day before to tell me we couldn't watch it as her 12 year old daughter thought it was boring.

We didn't go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Open All Hours should be pretty popular, Doctor Who following that would a good call, I reckon the Open All Hours is one of BBC christmas gems
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D That's how my kids got into Dr Who. My husband gave our habitually noisy kids an ultimatum when Dr Who was on: button it or go to bed. Normally he's a walk over and they know it but with Dr Who it's non negotiable. Always keen to avoid going to bed early they sat mute while it was on. Before long they were hooked. Kind of if you can't beat them, join them.

Now our 6 year old - who used to call it Dr Boo as he thought it was boring - is obsessed. He races through his homework so he can watch his dad's Hartnell DVDs.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Don't care what time its on, I'll be watching it regardless! Also, haven't we all forgotten that its the regeneration, its gunna pull in millions of viewers.

Couldn't agree more. It's perfect timing for me, as I can take my time getting my tea later on.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Christmas is about family, and the kids. We don't have kids, but we still see family. I don't think it's fair to put a TV show before family, especially as it's easy to Tivo/Sky Plus it, or watch it on catchup, literally 4 hours later if need be. You don't even need to worry about spoilers, as chances are slim you'll get to be online on Xmas day anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas is about family, and the kids. We don't have kids, but we still see family. I don't think it's fair to put a TV show before family, especially as it's easy to Tivo/Sky Plus it, or watch it on catchup, literally 4 hours later if need be. You don't even need to worry about spoilers, as chances are slim you'll get to be online on Xmas day anyway.

You have a point but in our house, particularly for the kids, Dr Who has become as much of a family tradition as turkey and presents. We all love it but do like to race home from my parents' to watch it as, although they wouldn't mind us watching it there, I'm very aware it's our thing, not theirs.

Watching it another time wouldn't be the same for us. And my folks take our pre tea exit in good humour. They're probably delighted to see the back of us!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now our 6 year old - who used to call it Dr Boo as he thought it was boring - is obsessed. He races through his homework so he can watch his dad's Hartnell DVDs.

WIN!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member

a few years ago, we went on holiday to morocco over christmas. With lots of french influences , there was a big banquet meal in the hotel on Christmas Eve rather than on the day.
    We went camel riding on christmas day.... but when we got back to the hotel rushed to our room to watch Dr Who which was shown on the beeb at 7 pm :D
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    We once agreed to go to a mate's house Christmas night on the firm understanding that Doctor Who was non-negotiable.

She called the day before to tell me we couldn't watch it as her 12 year old daughter thought it was boring.

We didn't go.

:D

Princess gets what princess wants.

But not when it comes to you and Who. ;)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure where the info is originally from but the latest posts in the Ratings Thread (uk tv forum) has DW moved to 19:30 on Christmas Day.