Options

BBC iPlayer App on Android

Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any one else having BBC iPlayer Android app downloads fail since April 15 update to iPlayer?

I have changed nothing on my Nexus 7 s before or since this date apart from automatic updates including the iPlayer one, now all iPlayer downloads fail (they stay in the queue window and don't move to downloaded.)

Comments

• Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I'm on version 3.3.0.37 and, if that's the latest version, its downloading fine.

ETA On a Nexus 7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can download any programme dated as shown on BBC before 15th April. Anything after that gets stuck in the queue but shows all of all MB downloaded. App crashed if I try to remove programme from the queue. My version is the same as yours. I'm on a Nexus 7 latest version running KitKat
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Y Me wrote: »
    Any one else having BBC iPlayer Android app downloads fail since April 15 update to iPlayer?

I have changed nothing on my Nexus 7 s before or since this date apart from automatic updates including the iPlayer one, now all iPlayer downloads fail (they stay in the queue window and don't move to downloaded.)

Rory Cellan Jones the BBC technical correspondent has tweeted about it, seems to be an issue with iOS and Android
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rory Cellan Jones the BBC technical correspondent has tweeted about it, seems to be an issue with iOS and Android
    Can you post a link as I cannot find it - do I need a Twitter account?
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only got notification of update yesterday, and it seems to be working fine.

A couple of simple things to try:

Have you tried completely uninstalling BBC Iplayer (and BBC media player), and completely reinstalling from scratch. I know this should not really affect anything as yoo have latest updates but it is amazing the number of times this works.

Also, have you completely powered down your system to get rid of all of other processes that may be running. ?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    I had a "completed" programme stuck in the download queue a few weeks back on my Hudl. Uninstalled and re-installed iPlayer to clear the problem and has been fine since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a complete factory reset and then installed iPlayer and Media player. Now I find that for instance Eggheads dated 17 - 4 - 2014 will queue and move to downloaded but a programme called The Travel Show of the same date I downloaded for experiment stayed stuck in the download window and if you try to remove from the queue you get the message "Sorry iPlayer has stopped".

Tried again, just before this post, three programmes, two as above plus Friday 18th Pointless - all stuck in download window.

All was ok until this last stupid update. I wouldn't mind but there is no way to go back to the previous version which was fine until the Beeb messed with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    This has happened to me on my Asus Nexus 7 running KitKat 4.4.2 >:(

It really is frustrating! :cry:
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They think the issue is to do with an out of date security certificate. Meaning, all programming before the date of expiry downloads, but newer things can't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Any ideas when this will be fixed or where the progress of it can be tracked? I have same problem on galaxy s4 android 4.4.2 its really annoying......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    I only got notification of update yesterday, and it seems to be working fine.

A couple of simple things to try:

Have you tried completely uninstalling BBC Iplayer (and BBC media player), and completely reinstalling from scratch. I know this should not really affect anything as yoo have latest updates but it is amazing the number of times this works.

Also, have you completely powered down your system to get rid of all of other processes that may be running. ?

Update mine are failing now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    double post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today everything seems to be back to normal - fingers crossed.

CoolboyA wrote: »
    They think the issue is to do with an out of date security certificate. Meaning, all programming before the date of expiry downloads, but newer things can't.

Is this Heartbleed fallout?

So this is what I pay my licence fee for - no wait a minute - I don't need a licence to download (or fail to) - I've a damned good mind to get quite annoyed. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    The new update for android seems to have regenerated the download failure problem or is it just me? Am on galaxy s4 android 4.4.2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe they have rolled back to the older version?
  • Options
    MooWow!MooWow! Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    how do i remove things from my queue :O mine down show the option?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Press and hold the item and a box should pop up to remove it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y Me wrote: »
    Today everything seems to be back to normal - fingers crossed.

Is this Heartbleed fallout?

So this is what I pay my licence fee for - no wait a minute - I don't need a licence to download (or fail to) - I've a damned good mind to get quite annoyed. :)

The government is looking at ways of closing tv licence loophole on catchup tv. In Denmark, they have a "media" tax which basically means if you can receive anything (satellite, terrestrial, cable, internet etc) you have to pay a tax. So basically anybody with broadband has to pay the tax - impossible to escape as well as the telecom companies are obliged by law to provide data tro government.

I'll bet that is on the agenda!
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just downloaded a few programmes from iplayer for the first time ever!

All are stuck in the queue apart from two, but all are viewable.

The problem that I have is that I cannot now delete the ones erroneously stuck in the queue.

I've tried to follow the BBC instructions, but cannot get the bin icon to appear :confused:

Can anyone help?

I'm using a hudl 2.

Cheers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In the past I have touched and held the item in the queue to bring up the option to delete / remove.

If that does not work try a forced stop on the iPlayer app in Settings -> apps then relaunch the app and try the above again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    In the past I have touched and held the item in the queue to bring up the option to delete / remove.

If that does not work try a forced stop on the iPlayer app in Settings -> apps then relaunch the app and try the above again.

It's the way i'm trying to do it, but not having much luck. Touching and holding either does nothing or makes the programme play.

I'll try the settings suggestion- thanks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way that i've been able to get rid of the programmes in the queue is by uninstalling and reinstalling the iplayer app!